Chain care/lube/ACF50

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Hi all
Am a bit particular about looking after the chain. I clean it on a regular basis then use Wurth dry lube then after that I coat it with ACF 50. Apart from the rust protection it also keeps the chain looking good. Anyone any thoughts on this and what are your ways of looking after your chain?
Or am I just wasting my money and being too fussy?....
Cheers folks

Scaley

Reaction score
I think you could save your ACF50. The frequency by which we/you maintain the chain should mean it is redundant or OTT. Admittedly I use a sticky chain lube though.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I use gearbox oil I apply it with a trimmed 1/2 inch paint brush to the inside of the chain & side plates then run a clean rag on it to take the excess off,there's never any need to clean the chain as a rub round with a rag before you reapply the oil again every 200 mile (dry use) brings the chain up like new, I don't think gear box oil can be beaten when it comes to keeping the chain rust free and good for thousands of miles,I've tried wurth dry lube which is ok but it's not a true dry lube as its remains abit tacky the only true dry lube I've used is profi £18 ish tin very good but daft money.

stevecbr

Reaction score
i use gear oil on mine, and occasionally wd40 and also acf50 like you. Mine has now done 20000 miles, and seen 3 british winters, and still looks OK, and hasn't stretched yet either

bobh

Reaction score
This debate will run and run.

I use Wurth Dry Lube (or Dr Bike, which seems to be the same thing) in summer and Renthal sticky oil in winter. I used to use gear oil in a Lubeman oiler on another bike, but the smell of tomcats was just too much, so I reverted to chainsaw oil for that.

But I've found the last month or two there's been so much salty grot on the roads, combined with intermittent rain, that it's been impossible to keep a chain clean and lubed, bearing in mind you have to thoroughly wash the bike after every ride. So I've gone back to applying copious amounts of basic engine oil as soon as the chain has dried off after washing. As Shaun says, oil does keep the chain clean by virtue of flinging off most of the dirt, so you don't have to use a separate cleaner, just a quick wipe with a rag. It does drip all over the garage floor though, so some newspaper is handy.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Using ACF50 on the non O-ring chain on one of my other bikes has definitely extended its adjustment periods.

I doubt it will be as beneficial on an O-ring chain but as ACF50 has a limited shelf life I'd rather use it than waste it.

plongy

Reaction score

Nitram

Reaction score
Just picked up a 16 plate ex demo, the dealer was raving about these saying it is extremely hard to fit a Scott oiler on an MT.
Reckon I will be trying one.
I've got a E-Scottoiler on mine - it was a bit of a faff but I managed it with most the parts that come in the box, and trust me when I say, i'm really not that technically / DIY minded! Things just seem to fall to pieces when I touch them :p I think i needed to use an extra jubilee clip but that was it :)

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I have had a couple of Scott Oilers on several bikes good kit but to be honest I think the Tutouro is easier to fit and certainly easier to set the flow up. The down side on the Tutouro is they are seasonally sensitive with the temperature but they also do higher and lower viscosity oils, but the Scott Oiler is the same and they also do different Viscosity oils. I am actually still using the last of my Scoot oils now.