Chain lubricant

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Just wondering what you folks preferences were as regards chain lube?
I use Wurth Dry Lube and have found it ok -used it for a few years but am always open to other suggestions...
Cheers

flipper

Reaction score
Scot oil applied with a brush, as I have stacks of it. Otherwise that Wurth stuff.

lee1980

Reaction score
I used to go for the more thick sticky ones but find they just really gum it all up, though less fling. I now use a motorcross type lube that is thinner and washes of easier but is easier to clean, and I only lube the inner rung directly and wipe the outer plates so not much is left to pick up more dirt etc.

I would lube more often of course in wet heavy rain.

Milo Minderbinder

Reaction score
I tried various bike specific lubes, I found that the dry lubes tend to attract dirt and makes the chain a pain to clean. A friend of mine always swore by the old fashioned (and cheap) method using paraffin to clean and gearbox oil to lube - done frequently, and his chain and sprockets are always gleaming and seem to last forever. That is what I now do - I re-lube frequently using a small long handled paint roller (the type you use behind radiators) to apply the oil, this seems to apply just the right amount and makes it a quick job. I then wipe fling from rear wheel after first ride. Much better IMHO

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prochain is my weapon of choice. None fling and we get thru shed loads of it in the workshop lol

stevecbr

Reaction score
I use gear oil, and have done for years. I would expect the chain to last 15000 on the MT, if not longer, due to the high torque levels.
Previous bike (R1 & CBR6 did about 16000-18000 miles just using gear oil)

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Gear oil is great from a lubricant viewpoint. It has lots of heavy duty anti-scuffing additives. It was the recommended chain lube in GP racing for a long time. It is messy though. These days, with o'ring chains the lubricant is used to keep the o'rings in good order and protect the chain from corrosion. Lets face it, if the o'rings are doing their job, none of the lubricant should reach the bushes. They are lubricated from the factory with a high grade lubrication, and the o'rings are supposed to hold that in and stop contamination.

My Toy

Reaction score
Gear oil for me too about every 500 miles. Tend not to use any spirit based (petrol etc) liquids to clean just summat like an old towel to wipe down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

valvestem

Reaction score
Hi;
WD40 after riding. Short ride or long ride. No build up and chain is always clean.
10K miles on fz09 and sprockets and chain look like new.
safe riding to you all.
Don

flipper

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Wd40 contains very little lubricant although it's great for cleaning.

fizzy

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Wd40 contains very little lubricant although it's great for cleaning.
image.jpg
Don't know if he is on about the new range of wd40 chain lube, and chain cleaner I have been using it on the MT and my enduro bike and are well impressed
but a bit of advice I was using stay clear of lucas racing chain lube see attached photo of what happened to my r1 , complained to the dealer and still waiting for a reply 6 monthsimage.jpgimage.jpg on

flipper

Reaction score
View attachment 2542
Don't know if he is on about the new range of wd40 chain lube, and chain cleaner I have been using it on the MT and my enduro bike and are well impressed
but a bit of advice I was using stay clear of lucas racing chain lube see attached photo of what happened to my r1 , complained to the dealer and still waiting for a reply 6 monthsView attachment 2542View attachment 2542 on
heh could be......................... didn't know they made one!

fizzy

Reaction score
heh could be......................... didn't know they made one!
Yes they are doing a full range of bike lube stuff and sponsoring in bsb I have tried some of it and
seems to be top quality so far, well worth a try

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Every 6 months or so I clean the chain with s doc 100 chain cleaner gel. You spray it on the chain, leave it for 15 minutes then hose off with cold water. I know watering the chain goes against the grain but it is a recommended way of cleaning a chain (by Bike magazine I think but can't be 100% sure of that) I dry the chain then give it a good lube with Wurth.
Chain looks like brand new after that and also s doc can be used to clean any other oily/greasy areas.
Well worth a try IMHO!
image.jpg

Did mine yesterday!

RipGroove

Reaction score
I use WD40 chain cleaner then WD40 chain wax on both my MT and my GasGas. The wax does not fling off FYI.

Sent from my iPhone