Check ur coolant bottle..!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so I decided to give the beast a "quick"! clean.

After which I did the usual.....

Checked the oil.
Checked the wheels.
Checked the tyres/tyre pressures.
Checked the coolant level.......!!!!!!!!

CHECKED THE COOLANT LEVEL..!

The bloody bottle was empty! At first I thought "I'm not holding the bike up level...!

I was....!

Then I noticed that the cap/rubber stopper was NOT pushed onto the top securely and was just sat on the top being held in place by the rubber "straw" that goes down inside the bottle.

On closer inspection I find that the rubber "flange" that holds it nice and snug in place has perished and half hanging off...!

I'm quite concerned as to how the bottle is completely empty yet no warning lights have come on or that it doesn't overheat when I'm out thrashing the pants off it...?!?

(Side note)!
I only checked the oil and coolant on Sunday afternoon and all was as it should be..!

I will be straight up to see the dealership early doors tomorrow morning for
A- some new coolant put in the bike and
B- to put in a warranty claim for a new coolant bung/stopper...!

My advise is to have a good look at urs and make sure all is as it should be...

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
No problem with my flange (ooh-err missus) but for reasons unknown my coolant was almost gone.
It had a service only 700 miles ago so either it wasn't checked or it's pissed out since.
Will continue to keep an eye on it....

Motley

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
No problem with my flange (ooh-err missus) but for reasons unknown my coolant was almost gone.
It had a service only 700 miles ago so either it wasn't checked or it's pissed out since.
Will continue to keep an eye on it....
Yeah, same here. I went and checked the cap which seems OK but noticed the coolant level was at the low mark.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quick update. Popped into see the boys at the dealership. Coolant was topped up and a new "flange cap" ordered under warranty. Job done

RipGroove

Reaction score
Pretty sure you didn't get any warning lights as its just a reservoir, the actual system is still full, I beleive that when the actual coolant system gets low it gets topped up by the reservoir.

Sent from outer space

M

MT account

technically, they are expansion tanks. old school house boilers have them in the loft. they have a reserve level in them and when the engine ( or house boiler) heats up any excess pressure in the system will vent into the tank. when the engine cools the water is drawn back into the system. this is just tiny amounts. without a expansion tank the hot water would drip out on the road. if your tanks are emptying then the coolant is going somewhere ......:confused:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
technically, they are expansion tanks. old school house boilers have them in the loft. they have a reserve level in them and when the engine ( or house boiler) heats up any excess pressure in the system will vent into the tank. when the engine cools the water is drawn back into the system. this is just tiny amounts. without a expansion tank the hot water would drip out on the road. if your tanks are emptying then the coolant is going somewhere ......:confused:
Basically because the cap had split it was not holding the "expanded" coolant that was going in and out if the expansion tank so it was literally leaking out onto the road when it was hot. All sorted now tho.

M

MT account

Basically because the cap had split it was not holding the "expanded" coolant that was going in and out if the expansion tank so it was literally leaking out onto the road when it was hot. All sorted now tho.

shouldnt be spilling out the filler chap, you need to keep that front wheel on the road more.....:)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
First thing tomorow morning... i went to the bike to check and the bottle seems empty... 1.250 km after the 1000 km oil change... as i remember the mechanic had put some coolant then...
I have a 4 liter Valeo green coolant for my car... i'll use some of it in the bike

big ade

Reaction score
my coolant bottle & levels all ok.....but the fan has now stopped working ?
out for a ride today, temp hit 116 deg. in town centre traffic , then the red light came on , and display said ' hi ' ..... pulled over ,switched off, waited to cool down.......
tryed again temp got up to 110, NO FAN !!!! i think it kicks in @ 104 deg. or should do...... back to the dealers i will go ....

Cypher

Reaction score
@Ade - Damn, that's high! My fan usually kicks in at 106°C.

My coolant levels are at the Low mark too now at 2400 miles. Gotta buy something rather soon. Will any car coolant do or do I need to look for some special ones for motorcycles?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Ade - Damn, that's high! My fan usually kicks in at 106°C.

My coolant levels are at the Low mark too now at 2400 miles. Gotta buy something rather soon. Will any car coolant do or do I need to look for some special ones for motorcycles?
Best to buy the right coolant mate. Warranty warranty warranty lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which one is the "right" one? Does it say in the manual?

Recommended antifreeze High-quality ethylene glycol anti- freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines Mixing ratio
1:1 (antifreeze: water) Radiator capacity (including all routes)
1.93 L (2.04 US qt, 1.70 Imp.qt) Coolant reservoir capacity (up to the maximum level mark)
0.25 L (0.26 US qt, 0.22 Imp.qt)

Cypher

Reaction score
Bloody hell, and I thought topping up coolant would be easy :D

Does that mean if I buy a "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines" I would need to pour it in the coolant bottle mixing it 1:1 with water?

M

MT account

Bloody hell, and I thought topping up coolant would be easy :D

Does that mean if I buy a "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines" I would need to pour it in the coolant bottle mixing it 1:1 with water?
yup. splash it in there unless the bottle ran dry, then its an idea to open the radiator cap (cold) and fill the rad to just overflowing and pop the cap back on. then top up the bottle.

Birdy

Reaction score
Cold is good advice MT .... once took the cap off the bottle of my MAN truck .... IT BURNSSSSSS...:mad:

big ade

Reaction score
cooling fan fixed ! when bike got hot , the plastic cover around the fan melted, & jammed the fan up ! blown fuses & relay ......

keep an eye on your temp guys ! i was sat in dealers for 5 hours while they sorted it.!