Cleaning

Mighty Hard Roker

Reaction score
I picked up my mt09 only a couple of weeks ago and have just put the first 300 miles on. In an effort to retain some of the newness I wondered if anyone had any tips for cleaning the Matt grey paintwork or bike in general? I understand polish is out! Wondered if anyone knows of a waterless cleaner that would be ok on the Matt paint for those occasions when it ain't quite dirty enough for a full wash but you've picked up the odd bit of muck & bug. Noted the tips for removing the tank sticker, completed successfully with the hair dryer! HR][/HR]

Andrew73

Reaction score
Don't worry about doing much more than cleaning your tank or front mudguard other than a sponge and soap clean.....I have the same colour as you and it takes me about 1 hour to do a proper clean. I wash with soap and water, ensuring the pipes from the engine (silver) are clean and free of muck...after a thourough rinse I then go for a ride (if it's not raining or the road is dry) to get rid of all the water I cant chamois off...when I get back I then wet 3 silver pipes and use a cheap non scratch kitchen scourer with liquid autosol to scrub off any road stains or blemishes. I then rinse, take the seat off and chamois off the whole bike. Then if I can let sit in the shade for a while to allow for any other air drying of unseen water.

I had a 2008 FZ6N with four pipes and (purhased for $10,990 Australian new) sold it as a trade for my MT this year for $5,000. The pipes were in excellent condition and added to the value of the trade in.

good luck and enjoy the cleaning process...it's therapeutic!Old bike and new bike_edited-1.jpgMT-09ARH.5.jpg

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Muc-off in a sprayer all over the bike, then pressure washer (not right up close) with Aldi's best wax and shampoo in the detergent mixer bottle, wipe over with my bike only sponge. Quick blast with clean water from the pressure washer to finish it off. A wipe off of the clocks, tank and seat then a blat up the road and back to blow the rest away.

I've done it for years like that and all my bikes have been mint condition as long as you remember to FS365 and/or ACF50 all the metal bits that get eaten by salt.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Where do you lot get your ACF50, and what price? (UK)

Sent from outer space

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where do you lot get your ACF50, and what price?

Sent from outer space
Ltr atomiser bottle for about £12-£13 from my dealer.

I just wet the bike with warm water.
SDoc-100 in an atomiser bottle and tickle it with the "bike only" sponge then wash off with water and dry off with a clean chami leather then a quick blaht to get the last bits of water off

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees

RipGroove

Reaction score
Ltr atomiser bottle for about £12-£13 from my dealer.

I just wet the bike with warm water.
SDoc-100 in an atomiser bottle and tickle it with the "bike only" sponge then wash off with water and dry off with a clean chami leather then a quick blaht to get the last bits of water off

These sprays on ebay any good?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=360878801155

Sent from outer space

marcusfordus

Reaction score
ACF50 is the MT-09 rear shock's best friend :D

A can does last ages, last ones I bought were £11 each bought two at the time and I'm on the second one after two years. Looks like price has risen though.

CMC were doing 10litres of muc-off for £25 when I bought it. BOGOF offer

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
another tip is the muc off detailing wax to protect your finish .

Mighty Hard Roker

Reaction score
Cheers for all the tips everyone, much appreciated, I'll get myself some acf50 or similar for the metal bits as suggested and I've picked up some muc off as no doubt it'll get some serious muc on at some point. Is it ok to use a shampoo/wax combo on the matt paintwork as an alternative? Sounds like water is enough or some muc off does a good job on this paint. If anyone comes across a waterless cleaner let me know still think that would be handy for those in between washing sessions.

Mighty Hard Roker

Reaction score
i'll give it a go. took it out for the first time in the rain today, got it thoroughly muc'd up. which ended with a 90 min full on clean. once i start i cant stop, so the wtlss is perfect for me for those in between rides. cheers

Red ant is quite a good waterless cleaner

Birdy

Reaction score
I am complete opposite MHR, once my bike is dirty, i look at it and cant start !! lol wish i had OCD :cool: