Crash bungs

julianziggy

Reaction score
What don't you like about the R&G or Yamaha ones? I got my bike with the R&G's fitted. But i can see the ones you posted would be better in a serious slide down the road, as the R&G ones could potentially bend the frame if they got hooked up on something. Those ones are braced on two engine mounts, so theres not so much bending force being applied (if that made sense). However saying all that, if i were in the market for some i'd get the round MGS ones YAMAHA MT-09/FZ-09 CRASH BOBBINS/SLIDERS/MUSHROOMS/PROTECTORS 2013 MODELS | eBay
do you think this those MGS ones would offer less protection than the TREX ones? I'm thinking that they'd probably bend on impact

Forget the engine protections from Yamaha and R&G, very bad products.
Except if you want something nice ...

If you want something efficient : T-rex protections.
2014 and On
Better prices and better efficiency.
Olivier, do you know if the engine casing touches when the bike leans over onto the TREX frame sliders?

olivierzx

Reaction score
do you think this those MGS ones would offer less protection than the TREX ones? I'm thinking that they'd probably bend on impact

Olivier, do you know if the engine casing touches when the bike leans over onto the TREX frame sliders?
Yes I know and pics are better than explanations.
Here is a link to a thread where can you can have a look at the results of a 35 mph (?) slide. I think the speed was more important ...
Darn Chihuahua..

Since this accident T-Rex has modified the left engine protection. (see page 5 of the thread for the new piece picture)

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Yes i definitely think the TREX ones would be better in a hard impact, but it would have to be very hard to bend the MGS ones.

Considering the full package from TREX includes both frame sliders and engine case protectors, i would guess the case does touch with just the frame sliders installed.

W8ENN

Reaction score
Looks like engine protection is a must. My left side MGS doesn't seem to stick out far enough past the engine. I'm sure these guys have done their research though. The sliders are excellent quality. Let's just hope I never have to use them

psychoattractor

Reaction score
Yeah true.
Having had a cock(don't you cottagers get too excited) running out in front of me, I've learned that on right hand side, it is likely to be the original engine sliders that will give the best protection though, but probably depend on the speed.
Totally agree with this, the Yamaha sliders do seem to offer the best protection as they cover the part of the engine which is going to hit the ground first.

All the third party engine bobbins (from R&G, Evotech etc) are way too high up to offer any protection unless they are used in conjunction with the Yamaha sliders.

R&G do a complete set of engine casing covers at around £180, don't really like the look of them though.

All imho of course! :)

olivierzx

Reaction score
Totally agree with this, the Yamaha sliders do seem to offer the best protection as they cover the part of the engine which is going to hit the ground first.

All the third party engine bobbins (from R&G, Evotech etc) are way too high up to offer any protection unless they are used in conjunction with the Yamaha sliders.

R&G do a complete set of engine casing covers at around £180, don't really like the look of them though.

All imho of course! :)
With only the Yamaha engine protections the bike will fall over on the tank.
Wheras with the higher protections it'll be avoided.

The most expensive part to replace is the tank.
In France the alternator cover is only 150$.
So some of us are wondering if it's really interesting to buy engine protections or pay the repairs.

Here's a picture of the alternator carter after slidding with no protections at all.

Of course the tank and the swingarm have touch the road.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spoke to a guy at T-Rex today and they don't do the engine sliders with MT-09 wrote on them, only FZ-09 so I won't be buying any. Shame really as they looked ok. Will keep the R&G ones on for now with the Yamaha case sliders on the bottom

MT-09.... Wheelie wheelie awesome..!

Mitch

Reaction score
In France the alternator cover is only 150$.
So some of us are wondering if it's really interesting to buy engine protections or pay the repairs.

Here's a picture of the alternator carter after slidding with no protections at all.

Of course the tank and the swingarm have touch the road.
What if you go through the cover and drop all your oil then you cant do sod all , at least with the lower protection you have a chance been able to drive home I have go for a yamaha lower engine and uppers

relz

Reaction score
I have no idea if this OES brand is worth anything, but I just happened to stumble across their website when surfing the web:

2014 FZ-09 Frame Sliders

In case somebody is interested...

julianziggy

Reaction score
ive ordered T-Rex engine covers and i'll be getting the SW-Motech frame sliders.

how are they Mitch? they look awesome in pics