Crash Protection

aceofhearts

Reaction score
What do you guys have (if any)?

Obviously wanting to keep my new bike nice I am looking into getting some crash protection. I know some of you have bungs which look a good affordable option but I worry about the forces in a drop going into the frame through a single thread, and potentially damaging the frame.

The other thing I was looking at was full engine bars like these:

Crash Bars for Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2015 black Highway Bars | eBay

Which look a lot more substantial but again I don't know if the suffer the same issues as bobbins.

What do you guys think? Should I just save my money, spend it on petrol and stop worrying? :D

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I wouldn't fit those, not cos they're fugly but if you do fall off it looks like your radiator will get it.
IMHO crash bungs/mushrooms are great for low speed offs or stationary drops otherwise they offer little protection.
casing covers/sliders might save your engine but nothing will save your tank, bars, pegs or plastics... other than luck

I have Puig mushrooms, only because I have a history of dropping stationary bikes, off the paddock or side stand

offo

Reaction score
I really think it's all a matter of personal choice , a lot of people use the single post bobbins although i personally would rather have the two fixing point protectors (shared load & all that), i have also had engine bars on a Tiger 800 which after a low speed spill (a tree blew down in my path) proved their worth & likely saved more expensive damage to the side casings, at the moment i don't have anything fitted to the Tracer but i will most likely get around to it at some point.
At the end of the day i would imagine that all these items are really only able to protect from a relatively slow impact with the road say from a low side or a bike slip & drop, none of them are going to prevent total damage from a high side or impact with another object.

So to sum up - Sorry i've not really helped much have I. :)

Patrick

Reaction score
Not saying you do this........I don't know you or your riding habits. But I always laugh when I see some dude with protection for his bike. While he's riding around in sandals, shorts, and tank top.:confused: If I get in a tumbler at 70 mph. I don't really care about the bike. That's what insurance is for.

aceofhearts

Reaction score
Haha thanks guys. I think I will get some swingarm / fork protectors and some form of engine bar. The Givi ones look thorough but are not the best looking. Puig look to have some on the pipeline too so I will wait to see what theirs turn up like.

No I always ride in full gear and boots :) I have fallen enough times in the past to know better lol

stringman

Reaction score
Well having Managed to write my sprint RS off on a 15mph slide (but it did give e an excuse to buy a new bike!) I am keen to protect the bike as much as possible.

The bike will have a 42l top box on the back which does a pretty good job a protecting the top rear of the bike.

I was the thinking of some engine bars (as opposed to bobbins)
some front axle bobbin or similar protection

Any recommendations on makes or anything else I should think about?

Thanks in advance

stringman

Reaction score
I ended up buying an ex demo bike which had the Yamaha engine sliders fitted, got some R&G front rear axle bobbins thrown in as well so feel its pretty well covered.
Though looking around I think that maybe some mid mount bobbins could be in order as well.
Still toying with the engine bars as it would give me some mounting points for the extra lights I want to add.:eek:

Toine

Reaction score
I've seen some nasty scratch marks on Tracer engine covers, even tho they had bobbins or crash bars fitted.

To prevent this I opted for the Fehling Bars
crash-bar.jpgcrash-bar2.jpg
I don't intend to try them out immediately, but I think they look pretty "adventure proof" :cool:

stavrosd2006

Reaction score
i have the yamaha engine sliders installed so far,
but i am planning fitting axle bobbins in the future.
Good thing for the rear is my hard top case. It gets the impact first (verified!!!)