Crashed it

emptyoh9

Reaction score
As the the title says! Fecking crashed my 6 week old bike today...not a happy bunny.

Low speed spill going round an island at about 20ish? MPH next thing i know I'm sliding on my arse towards an iceland delivery van. He stopped to see if i was ok so, thanks to him.

I was left wondering what the fu%K just happened, wasn't riding quick or doing anything i don't normally do, it's on an island i ride round everyday to work. After thinking some more about it i think i grounded the foot peg (i have the Gillies tooling rear sets ) they don't have hinged pegs and from looking at the road theres a perfect arch in the tarmac so i think it was that...what a tool.
Shook me up a bit at the time as this is the first crash i've had, but ok now.

So if you have those rear sets make sure you adjust them as high as they go...

Heres the damage assessment!

1.scratched fork (tiny bit)
2. Handle bar slider destroyed
3. Oil pump cover fu£ked
4. Clutch cover fu&ked
5. Brake lever slight damage on end
6. Mirror scratched
7. foot peg and brake pedal broken
8. Evo tech rear crash bobbin saved my swing arm! but died in the process.
9.bruised ego / elbow
10.scuffed leathers

So my day has been pretty shitty, hope you're all doing better than me. Any advice after a low speed spill? i.e get bike checked by dealer etc.?

Kind of ironic since i was moaning about a small scratch on my exhaust the other day from the dealer... Anyways, stay shiny side up boys and girls.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the the title says! Fecking crashed my 6 week old bike today...not a happy bunny.

Low speed spill going round an island at about 20ish? MPH next thing i know I'm sliding on my arse towards an iceland delivery van. He stopped to see if i was ok so, thanks to him.

I was left wondering what the fu%K just happened, wasn't riding quick or doing anything i don't normally do, it's on an island i ride round everyday to work. After thinking some more about it i think i grounded the foot peg (i have the Gillies tooling rear sets ) they don't have hinged pegs and from looking at the road theres a perfect arch in the tarmac so i think it was that...what a tool.
Shook me up a bit at the time as this is the first crash i've had, but ok now.

So if you have those rear sets make sure you adjust them as high as they go...

Heres the damage assessment!

1.scratched fork (tiny bit)
2. Handle bar slider destroyed
3. Oil pump cover fu£ked
4. Clutch cover fu&ked
5. Brake lever slight damage on end
6. Mirror scratched
7. foot peg and brake pedal broken
8. Evo tech rear crash bobbin saved my swing arm! but died in the process.
9.bruised ego / elbow
10.scuffed leathers

So my day has been pretty shitty, hope you're all doing better than me. Any advice after a low speed spill? i.e get bike checked by dealer etc.?

Kind of ironic since i was moaning about a small scratch on my exhaust the other day from the dealer... Anyways, stay shiny side up boys and girls.
I'm assuming that you didn't have any sliders then?

Chris West

Reaction score
At least its just your ego thats bruised (and of course your wallet).
Had a scary moment the other morning myself.
Second corner, early morning, damp roads, cold tyres.
Maybe a little to heavy on the throttle?!
Much squirrel-iness ensued but the the rear tyre reluctantly gripped and it sorted itself out.
But it could have quite easily have gone the other way.
My turn will inevitably come :-(
Glad that your OK (and you have another upgrade opportunity.)

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah the footpegs are set quite low on the mt , its the slimness of the bike that gives it the same lean angle as an r6 but your right you will need to adjust yours higher, glad your ok mate, are making an ins claim ?

emptyoh9

Reaction score
not sure, might have to look at the cost of replacing the bits and go from there. I'm struggling to find out where to get replacement parts for the Gilles rear sets in this country. Gillestooling.com list performance parts as a stockist so i'll have to give them a call tomorrow. I only really need a toe and foot peg to fix it up. You're right about the lean angle i was quite far over when i binned it and ran out of skill...Weirdly i'm more angry about it today than i was yesterday.

flydnb

Reaction score
that's why I got excess protect on my ins, because in the great words of stoner my ambition outweighs my talent, lol.

Birdy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your crash mate ... that bruised ego will take ages to heal ! lol ....maybe 20mph and full lean a bit too much.....but well done for trying !:p

Cypher

Reaction score
That's sucks, mate! Been there too and I know it's not a nice feeling to have. Luckily there's nothing terminal on the bike, just a few bruises and scratches and most importantly you're fine. Everything else is nothing but metal.

[shameless_plug]
Not sure you'd be interested but I have all 3 slightly scratched engine casings for sale (can post some pics if needed).
I lowsided mine in November and replaced them only a couple weeks ago as well as installed some protection (costly business if you ask me, £280 only for the casings). They're in pretty good condition and I could have left them on and just installed the protectors (which would hide the damage) but being me I had to get them back to their original state.
[/shameless_plug]

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your crash, I lowsided back in january on a damp bend when i gave it too much leaving the bend, did about 300 pounds of damage, it bloody sucks, least your not hurt though.

emptyoh9

Reaction score
Thanks all, i've learnt my lesson, i'm going to have a play with the rear sets to see if i can get another inch (giggerty) or so, i noticed that they are on the lowest setting, maybe i'm still use to my CBR. It's cost about £200ish to repair the damage. Evo tech swing arm bobbins saved my bacon.
20mph on a good lean was a bit ambitious, my talent wasn't up to it :rolleyes: any ways, just waiting for the Gilles bits to come from Performanceparts.co.uk (the only UK distributer for Gilles?really?) I've already placed an order for some R&G covers, this bike is making me bankrupt...:p

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks all, i've learnt my lesson, i'm going to have a play with the rear sets to see if i can get another inch (giggerty) or so, i noticed that they are on the lowest setting, maybe i'm still use to my CBR. It's cost about £200ish to repair the damage. Evo tech swing arm bobbins saved my bacon.
20mph on a good lean was a bit ambitious, my talent wasn't up to it :rolleyes: any ways, just waiting for the Gilles bits to come from Performanceparts.co.uk (the only UK distributer for Gilles?really?) I've already placed an order for some R&G covers, this bike is making me bankrupt...:p
I can get Gilles goodies thru my parts department...;)

gazpachu

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it would be a good idea to give my input regarding crashing due to cold tyres.

Yesterday I had an accident at around 30MPH on my way to the office in Newbury. I believe it was due to cold tyres (bike was sleeping in open air) and opening gas a bit early on the exit of the bend. I lost my back wheel and the next thing I was with my face in the tarmac. I saw the bike sliding for a few meters. I was lucky, as the paramedics and firemen were just beside me. I had just a bleeding nouse, knees wounds and a slight pain in the neck. I fainted for 2-3 min, until they put me in horizontal, went to hospital in ambulance with my neck secured in a block, etc. I didn't have breakdown recovery (silly me), so I spent the rest of the day fixing a way to bring back the bike to Central London: £200!

Anyway, the lesson for me is:

- Never ever ride the bike without the full protection. My motorcycle pants were tied with a net in the seat because I was lazy to change my pants again in the office. I was wearing normal jeans
- Get a breakdown cover. In wowcher.co.uk there's a £19 1-Year Full Breakdown Cover & Home Assistance - UK Wide: Wowcher | Daily Deals - Save up to 80% on London deals
- Get a TPMS to know the pressure and temperature of your tyres. I like the Fobo Bike solution: https://my-fobo.com/product/fobobike You can find it on eBay at £73

Sorry that my first post is a not very happy one, but I hope it can be helpful, so that nobody makes my mistakes again.

Safe riding!

Pach

PS. Lucky me, the bike didn't have much expensive damage (considering that it turned in the air and hit both sides). Both levers are broken, one signal light, a few scratches in the handle bar and a dent in the tank. I was lucky to have 6 sliders and they did the worked!! Can anyone recommend an affordable place where I can fix the dent and paint the tank?