Dealerships - Not Acknowledging Faults

DLisi1993

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it just me whose Dealership refuses to acknowledge the Cam Chain Tensioner rattle being a widespread problem?

When it first went in for the fault (around 900 miles on clock), they tightened it, then eventually replaced it under warranty for free, but said that I was the only one who they had sold an MT09 who had the issue.

So now I'm at a little over 2100 miles, and the rattle is back and getting progressively worse. Spoke to dealership and got the whole 'its very unusual for this to happen, we've replaced them on other bikes and none have come back with the same fault'.

It seems to me as if they don't want to or aren't allowed to say there is a model fault. Is this the case? It would be bad for business to admit it I guess.

Also spoke to Yamaha Warranty team directly. Asked them what my options were if this keeps on happening and they said 'no replacement bikes'. They expect me to keep booking in to get new Tensioners...

I love the bike, but I have a feeling that this will happen again and again. What are everyone elses experiences? Anyone had the rattle come back?

Dan

M

MT account

my nearest 2 dealers are fowlers and a huge shop full of retards so if either of mine play up im better off buying a modified tensioner and doing it my self.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it just me whose Dealership refuses to acknowledge the Cam Chain Tensioner rattle being a widespread problem?

When it first went in for the fault (around 900 miles on clock), they tightened it, then eventually replaced it under warranty for free, but said that I was the only one who they had sold an MT09 who had the issue.

So now I'm at a little over 2100 miles, and the rattle is back and getting progressively worse. Spoke to dealership and got the whole 'its very unusual for this to happen, we've replaced them on other bikes and none have come back with the same fault'.

It seems to me as if they don't want to or aren't allowed to say there is a model fault. Is this the case? It would be bad for business to admit it I guess.

Also spoke to Yamaha Warranty team directly. Asked them what my options were if this keeps on happening and they said 'no replacement bikes'. They expect me to keep booking in to get new Tensioners...

I love the bike, but I have a feeling that this will happen again and again. What are everyone elses experiences? Anyone had the rattle come back?

Dan
A certain dealership in Clay Cross has swapped mine, it rattled from day one, was adjusted, then swapped. I took the bike out the other day, 1st time in weeks and I'm sure it;s ready for adjusting yet again !

DLisi1993

Reaction score
A certain dealership in Clay Cross has swapped mine, it rattled from day one, was adjusted, then swapped. I took the bike out the other day, 1st time in weeks and I'm sure it;s ready for adjusting yet again !
At least its not just me then. I'm annoyed with my Dealership playing dumb and acting like its my fault. 2000 miles and 2 oil changes. Rode in exactly according to the handbook and cleaned / oiled more than its ridden.

That same Clay Cross dealership had a bike of mine for 11 weeks when it went in for Tires and an MOT, failed, and needed 1 repair. Once this was done, it was more and more repairs until the bill was ridiculous. 11 weeks! And they wanted to charge me a storage fee which they 'very kindly waivered'. I won't buy a bike from there. Was looking at MT-09s there as the advertised finance deals were very good value, but once I came to buying it all prices increased and it went from a 3 to 4 year term.

Martin p

Reaction score
i guess i am lucky down here in south london, my dealership Lamba motorcycles in carshalton have ordered me a Modified tensioner assy for me to get fitted soon, they said i can wait while its done. Top marks for Lamba Great guys all very helpful, Highly recomended

DLisi1993

Reaction score
i guess i am lucky down here in south london, my dealership Lamba motorcycles in carshalton have ordered me a Modified tensioner assy for me to get fitted soon, they said i can wait while its done. Top marks for Lamba Great guys all very helpful, Highly recomended
Great to hear your repair is going smoothly. Shame its such a common fault. Brilliant bike.

My Dealership has been fine once they carry out the warranty work. Quick turnaround and smooth service. Just the initial accepting the fault takes too long.

You say yours is a modified Tensioner? Not a standard Yamaha part?

DLisi1993

Reaction score
genuine yamaha part, superceded part number, so i am guessing a newer version?
They have apparently had 3 revisions of it. I imagine mine initially had revision 1, swapped for revision 2, and now needs revision 3.

You should get the latest and greatest straight away I would imagine.

M

MT account

my FZ came with a white dot on it so it may have been changed for the later spec at the factory

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The newest one has a white dot and the part code ends in 03. S1 or S2 on the cct cover but that has no bearing on anything as it's the inner workings that are modded NOT the cover

RipGroove

Reaction score
I know its wrong as they should do something about it blah blah but you could always just lock it off as per here:

Interest in a CCT set screw kit.

He's in the US but the total cost of the parts of the kits literally pence here in a fasteners shop, keep meaning to do mine.

RipGroove

Reaction score
The newest one has a white dot and the part code ends in 03. S1 or S2 on the cct cover but that has no bearing on anything as it's the inner workings that are modded NOT the cover
Do you know exactly whats modded inside?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know exactly whats modded inside?
From what we cud tell, when we compared them both together the teeth on the actual cam chain wheel were set slightly closer together so there isn't as much to travel and invariably take so long to click over to the next tooth and tighten again. The old one took so long to click over so that's where the "rattling" came into it. Also the screw that pushes the tensioner and makes it do it's job seems to be of a higher spec and had wot looked like a better pitch so it didn't come undone like the old one which was not taking up the slack. Those were the only things we found and believe me.... We stripped it right down to check lol

RipGroove

Reaction score
From what we cud tell, when we compared them both together the teeth on the actual cam chain wheel were set slightly closer together so there isn't as much to travel and invariably take so long to click over to the next tooth and tighten again. The old one took so long to click over so that's where the "rattling" came into it. Also the screw that pushes the tensioner and makes it do it's job seems to be of a higher spec and had wot looked like a better pitch so it didn't come undone like the old one which was not taking up the slack. Those were the only things we found and believe me.... We stripped it right down to check lol
Nice one thanks :)

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mines been back five or six times for rattle in last 5 months, mechanic took it out twice, and said how nice it sounded, and he couldnt hear any rattle!Nothing done about it yet, not got any worse, I have got mechanic to record me coming in in case anything goes wrong down the line. Now nearly done 4000 miles, I just ignore it now, if it goes bang then its up to Yamaha to replace or repair it.
As for poor service and not admitting a problem, I have had a spat with Bridgestone re the BT023's I had fitted a few weeks ago. asically, bike is unrideable above 100mph due to massive high speed wobble. Spoke to Bridgestone teckie guy, said they havent tested the BT023 or T30 on the MT09, and therefore cant recommend them. If its not on their official fitment list, they cant gaurantee they will suit the bike (which they obviously dont)

M

MT account

Mines been back five or six times for rattle in last 5 months, mechanic took it out twice, and said how nice it sounded, and he couldnt hear any rattle!Nothing done about it yet, not got any worse, I have got mechanic to record me coming in in case anything goes wrong down the line. Now nearly done 4000 miles, I just ignore it now, if it goes bang then its up to Yamaha to replace or repair it.
As for poor service and not admitting a problem, I have had a spat with Bridgestone re the BT023's I had fitted a few weeks ago. asically, bike is unrideable above 100mph due to massive high speed wobble. Spoke to Bridgestone teckie guy, said they havent tested the BT023 or T30 on the MT09, and therefore cant recommend them. If its not on their official fitment list, they cant gaurantee they will suit the bike (which they obviously dont)

maybe you should ask for S20F's as theyre stock fittment on the FZ09

stevecbr

Reaction score
maybe you should ask for S20F's as theyre stock fittment on the FZ09
I had the S20's on as original fitment, but wanted something that lasts more than 3000 miles, and warm up quicker in the winter (had a few slides on the S20's back on december/january, and sports touring tyres warm up much quicker and hold onto their heat much better than hyper sports tyres)