DIY servicing

CT/

Reaction score
Put this up just to see how many of you guys service their own bike or take it to a dealer like most i would imagine, i ask this because ive heard quite a few horror story,s of dealers doing the service, charging an arm & leg for it but worse peoples bikes have been damaged , scratched and so on, just wondered if people are DIY sevicing and does it void your warranty ?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I do both, regular services at dealer and oil/filter change in between, so mine has new oil/filter every 3,000 miles

Clint Kingston

Reaction score
I do all my own servicing.

I stopped using the dealers about 10 years ago when I got my bike back with a hand print etched into the seat with what I suspect was brake fluid.

I won't even give them my rims to change tyres, bought the gear and do that myself as well.

CT/

Reaction score
I do all my own servicing.

I stopped using the dealers about 10 years ago when I got my bike back with a hand print etched into the seat with what I suspect was brake fluid.

I won't even give them my rims to change tyres, bought the gear and do that myself as well.
I like yer style clint

Peggerz

Reaction score
I wouldn't visit the stealers, they would suck the blood from a gnats arse.

DIY everytime, then your oil you will know what's coming out and you will know what's going back in, you will know it's done right and no oil boy has had hands his on your pipes..

Last edited:

fizzy

Reaction score
I do all of my own but always use genuine yamaha parts and oil, and have never had any problems getting any warranty jobs sorted out

CT/

Reaction score
I wouldn't visit the stealers, they would suck the blood from a gnats arse.

DIY everytime, then your oil you will know what's coming out and you will know what's going back in, you will know it's done right and no oil boy has had hands his on your pipes..
Like a poisonous mushroom peggerz LOL

Timo50

Reaction score
I have always done my own work, except the 600 mile service. I don't trust dealers and servicing is not difficult, even balancing the injectors is easy enough. Years ago, my Thundercat came back from its 600 mile service with the chain too tight, when I went to loosen the axle to back it off, the axle nut wasn't even tight.

lee1980

Reaction score
I will most likely take to dealer whilst under warranty and maybe do more oil changes in between myself to. I know as long use genuine parts and do work yourself still have warranty but can just imagine the grief if something major failed never get it sorted.

How do you balance the TB's with a carb balancer still?

Clint Kingston

Reaction score
I will most likely take to dealer whilst under warranty and maybe do more oil changes in between myself to. I know as long use genuine parts and do work yourself still have warranty but can just imagine the grief if something major failed never get it sorted.

How do you balance the TB's with a carb balancer still?
Yes with a manometer and basic hand tools

CT/

Reaction score
I have always done my own work, except the 600 mile service. I don't trust dealers and servicing is not difficult, even balancing the injectors is easy enough. Years ago, my Thundercat came back from its 600 mile service with the chain too tight, when I went to loosen the axle to back it off, the axle nut wasn't even tight.
This is another reason why I believe it is best to service your bike yourself,,,, if Timo had gone down the road at 70mph an his rear wheel had come loose the outcome could have been very nasty and to try and prove the dealer hadn't tightened the axle nut correctly ,,,, well good luck on that, I've heard allot of stories of bad work , do the work yourself and save a fortune and possibly your life .

Copycat73

Reaction score
I do my own servicing, I have done for quite some time now... more to do with price than anything else...

this evenings effort .. adjusting the TPS... and that fuel line connector is a pain in the arse .. as you would expect..

Attachments

Last edited:

Tropicocity

Reaction score
I'm potentially buying a bike from a dealer thats ~50 miles away from my house. It has 200 miles on the clock - do you know if I would need to take it back to the same dealer for the best priced 600 mile service or would any old dealer (even a garage?) do?
Thanks

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm potentially buying a bike from a dealer thats ~50 miles away from my house. It has 200 miles on the clock - do you know if I would need to take it back to the same dealer for the best priced 600 mile service or would any old dealer (even a garage?) do?
Thanks
My advice would be to take it back to the dealer for the 600 miler then after that you can take it where you like as long as they use genuine Yamaha parts and stamp the service book. Obviously this is just what I would do lol

fizzy

Reaction score
My advice would be to take it back to the dealer for the 600 miler then after that you can take it where you like as long as they use genuine Yamaha parts and stamp the service book. Obviously this is just what I would do lol
Definitely the best way of doing it, when you buy the bike off the dealer just let them know that you do your own servicing and that you will be getting the genuine parts from them and would they be willing to stamp the book for you, it's never been a problem for me

CT/

Reaction score
Definitely the best way of doing it, when you buy the bike off the dealer just let them know that you do your own servicing and that you will be getting the genuine parts from them and would they be willing to stamp the book for you, it's never been a problem for me
I would have thought most dealers would,nt be to happy about doing that tbh :confused:

Tropicocity

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :) Maybe I can work out a free first service thrown in or something like that lol.

Whilst on the subject, is there anything wrong with them doing the first service now rather than in 400 miles time, to save me the extra hundred miles I'd clock up just to take it back to them?

fizzy

Reaction score
I would have thought most dealers would,nt be to happy about doing that tbh :confused:
The last 3 dealers I have delt with for new bike's have been ok with it ,I think if you build up a bit of a relationship with them at the point of sale and get introduced to the service department and explain that you know your stuff it's not a problem ,as long as you prove that you're confident in doing it yourself :cool:

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :) Maybe I can work out a free first service thrown in or something like that lol.

Whilst on the subject, is there anything wrong with them doing the first service now rather than in 400 miles time, to save me the extra hundred miles I'd clock up just to take it back to them?
You need to do the 600 miles before the first service because all the parts need to be bedded in etc.
The gears and cogs need to get to know each other and after they've done that the oil needs to be changed because it will have all those tiny pieces of metal in it and you don't want that floating around in your engine and gearbox