Does MT 09 have an immobilizer?

MadGelo

Reaction score
I cant find info about it anywhere, so I assume it doesnt?
thx

RipGroove

Reaction score
While on the subject of keys, when I bought my bike the dealer told me that if I was to put the red key in the bike or even have it near the bike and turn the ignition on it'll wipe the ECU including key and immob codes basically rendering the bike useless and will cost a small fortune to get it all coded up again, that right?

Birdy

Reaction score
While on the subject of keys, when I bought my bike the dealer told me that if I was to put the red key in the bike or even have it near the bike and turn the ignition on it'll wipe the ECU including key and immob codes basically rendering the bike useless and will cost a small fortune to get it all coded up again, that right?
Not sure about it wiping the ECU , but my dealer told me not to store them together ?:confused:

My Toy

Reaction score
I didn't get any such advice except to say don't lose the red one. I keep all my vehicle keys together in a safe, and the red and spare black came fastened together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RipGroove

Reaction score
I didn't get any such advice except to say don't lose the red one. I keep all my vehicle keys together in a safe, and the red and spare black came fastened together.

My red and spare black ae also fastened together. Go start your bike with the red one, I dare you lol You can be the guinea pig as technically you weren't told not to ;-)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep the spare and the red one in my work bag all the time and I've never had a problem... Just don't put the red one on the key u use all the time lol

My Toy

Reaction score
and remember to post the results:)
Ok so I started the bike with the red key and the sky box went on to stand by, the microwave set off all on its own and the washing machine is on a permanent spin cycle!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!! The bike now has 21,000 miles on the clock and runs backwards.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Ok so I started the bike with the red key and the sky box went on to stand by, the microwave set off all on its own and the washing machine is on a permanent spin cycle!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!! The bike now has 21,000 miles on the clock and runs backwards.

So my dealer was right, only bad things come from the red key.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
This technology uses transponder chips, it is not a very new technology, it's been about in the car world for ages and ages now, in the key head is a little chip and some windings that act as an inductive aerial.
When you put the key in the bike and turn on the ignition a coil on the bike wrapped around the key barrel induces a little current around the key head and the tiny chip powers up and allows its code to be read wirelessly by the bikes immobiliser ecu, each code is unique to that particular key.

Using the red key tells the immobiliser control unit to allow new keys to be recognised by the bike, the chips in the keys are entirely passive when away from the bike and under normal conditions their state can not be changed, they can get damaged by a huge electrical magnetic field or mechanically or water damaged if the key gets submerged, a common issue in car land is when a customer changes the remote central locking fob batteries and loses the chip as they open up the key head, then they wonder why the car won't start, seen that lots.

A few cars use the red key method for new key programming, most however use plug in diagnostic boxes for the job, red keys piss the thieves off a lot more though!