Dvla

Birdy

Reaction score
Had a letter today from DVLA . Someone is applying for a log book for my registration .If i have sold or scrapped bike it is an offence not to inform them ! I drunk a bit of Old Speckled Hen last night, but cant remember selling my bike !:eek: Anyone else ever heard of this ? Be phoning monday

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a letter today from DVLA . Someone is applying for a log book for my registration .If i have sold or scrapped bike it is an offence not to inform them ! I drunk a bit of Old Speckled Hen last night, but cant remember selling my bike !:eek: Anyone else ever heard of this ? Be phoning monday
That Birdy is wots commonly know as "cloning"! and it's as dodgy as fcuk.

This usually means that someone is either trying to steal ur bikes identity which wud mean they have a way of intercepting ur post or there genuinely IS a mistake in the computer system at DVLA and they have sent that letter out in error!!!

Which do u think it is bud???

Now I'm not gonna delve too much into my past for u due to the official secrets act 1989 but wot I CAN say is that if this ISNT a computing error (and I sincerely hope it is)! u really need to get on the blower Monday morning and speak to DVLA quick sharp.

Good luck and keep us informed.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

M

MT account

yup. how the system works is.......someone applies for a NEW V5 which is not already in their name. if the tear off slip hasnt been forwarded to dvla from the EXISTING V5 saying that the vehicle has been sold then dvla send a letter to the last registered person on their database being linked to that reg number. if the last person on the V5 does not reply in 2 weeks then dvla will send a V5 in the new persons name. its either a mistake on the form from the applicant or theyre cloning your bike.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yup. how the system works is.......someone applies for a NEW V5 which is not already in their name. if the tear off slip hasnt been forwarded to dvla from the EXISTING V5 saying that the vehicle has been sold then dvla send a letter to the last registered person on their database being linked to that reg number. if the last person on the V5 does not reply in 2 weeks then dvla will send a V5 in the new persons name. its either a mistake on the form from the applicant or theyre cloning your bike.
^^^^^tiz true^^^^^

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

Birdy

Reaction score
I thought i lost my tax disc a few weeks ago... ? stolen maybe ? First thing monday i think !!!

Birdy

Reaction score
Talked to DVLA yesterday . They asked if any outstanding finance, if bike had been sold or scrapped..... no , no and no . Someone has applied for log book , but they assured me they would not issue one now . Told them about tax disc possibly stolen , said they will look into it and let me know .Why they not sending Plod to whoever applied for it ? False address given maybe ... seems well dodgy !

M

MT account

probably done from a house with a lot of bedsits in there. thing is why clone 1 unless theres a stolen 1 out there already?........go check yer garages.....

RipGroove

Reaction score
probably done from a house with a lot of bedsits in there. thing is why clone 1 unless theres a stolen 1 out there already?........go check yer garages.....
Could be cloning first ready to steal one, that way they have paperwork on them when they steal it so less likely to be rumbled by the rozzers.

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
that could be the answer right there.....
Oh man! Thats awful! Any leads on recovery or where it happened etc?

If I was you I'd start a thread with details so us lot can look out for it, it's rare to see another one on the road.

Sent from outer space

M

MT account

and any details on how it was stolen? ignition lock busted and ridden away or pushed away in the night??

i just fitted an alarm with ignition immobiliser and proximity sensor for £45 off of ebay. its a quality item too. took 2 hours to work out a spot and slot it in. ive bought another now to put on the MT when it shows up.

Birdy

Reaction score
Been talking to a friend in work who knows a few errr.. pikey types , and he thinks def some one trying to clone . Steal same type of bike , nick tax disc, new log book , flog on to some unsuspecting sod , Et Voila ! BASTARDS . Swansea promised they will not issue log book , so hopefully stopped this one . Must be some local scum tho, or maybe just happened to be following me one day ?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Been talking to a friend in work who knows a few errr.. pikey types , and he thinks def some one trying to clone . Steal same type of bike , nick tax disc, new log book , flog on to some unsuspecting sod , Et Voila ! BASTARDS . Swansea promised they will not issue log book , so hopefully stopped this one . Must be some local scum tho, or maybe just happened to be following me one day ?
So deffo worth checking ebay and similar once in a while to see if a cloned version of your own bike is for sale!

Sent from outer space

Birdy

Reaction score
So deffo worth checking ebay and similar once in a while to see if a cloned version of your own bike is for sale!

Sent from outer space
Be keeping an eye out mate ! But hopefully the wont be able to now if dvla wont issue a log book ? Thing is they may try someone else ? Imagine if you were away for a few weeks, and they issued it !