Dyno run results..!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. Here are the Dyno results from this mornin. Things to note..!
We only had time to do 2 runs in between other work.
This was the readout from the 2nd run. We ran it up a little before we recorded but had it been more of a running temp we wud of got better results..!

This was with the Akrapovic system (without baffle) in A mode as that is the only mode I use.

When the new 3 into 1 Akrapovic race system goes on in 5 or so weeks time we will do exactly the same tests and I will post the comparison results.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
Did the dyno operator mention the fueling? The air/fuel ratio seems a bit wobbly, especially at low revs, which would tie in with the snatchy throttle.
Just wondered if you are thinking of a power commander, or if the dyno operator recommended one?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for that post triple, good bhp and a very smooth flat power curve there!!!

Cheers daps:cool:
Indeed....points to note... crap humidity which didn't help and the oil temp was only 71 degrees Fahrenheit.
I'm really happy with the power curve...and the torque is very nice too...
We did manage to 99% eliminate the "snatchy throttle" saga lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did the dyno operator mention the fueling? The air/fuel ratio seems a bit wobbly, especially at low revs, which would tie in with the snatchy throttle.
Just wondered if you are thinking of a power commander, or if the dyno operator recommended one?
The dyno operator is a really good friend of mine and we have dyno'd a lot of my bikes together and noticed that the air/fuel dipped around the 4000rpm mark which indicated it ran a bit lean there...
Yes a power commander wud b of benefit from the air/fuel side of things so that will be the next stage after the new race Akrapovic system goes on along with a performance filter.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good work fella!

So what have you done to "99% eliminate the "snatchy throttle"
We played with the air/fuel as much as we cud by "tweaking" it hence the smooth flat power curve...
I'm sure with more time (we spent 30 minutes on it after hooking it up to the computer)! we cud of made it even more smoother. We tweaked the idol settings at the bottom end which helped with the power delivery. That in turn had a knock on effect for the throttle snatch from closed and eliminated it almost to the point of being non-existent...

I really hope that you can understand my ramblings.... I'm dyslexic so it's quite a challenge lol

crotchrocket

Reaction score
What i'd like is the Stoltec ECU flash!! but obviously thats not feasible !

http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/fz-09/14-fz-09-ecu-reflash/

B Mode

Retains original B mode throttle mapping for road and weather conditions requiring ultra-soft throttle response.
Smooths timing maps.
Eliminates injector cut on deceleration to reduce engine braking.

STD Mode

Reduces initial throttle tip-in to lessen drive line snatch/jerkiness.
‘Linearizes’ throttle response to deliver a natural, predictable engine response.
Reduces timing retard in gears 2-6 to deliver a stronger bottom end.
Smooths timing maps.
Reduces engine braking.

A Mode

Reduces initial throttle tip-in to lessen drive line snatch/jerkiness
Quick turn throttle response: full throttle plate opening is achieved at approximately 80% throttle position.
Reduces timing retard in first gear to deliver stronger off-idle response. Eliminates timing retard in gears 2-6.
Smooths timing maps.
Reduces engine braking.

Spot

Reaction score
We played with the air/fuel as much as we cud by "tweaking" it hence the smooth flat power curve...
I'm sure with more time (we spent 30 minutes on it after hooking it up to the computer)! we cud of made it even more smoother. We tweaked the idol settings at the bottom end which helped with the power delivery. That in turn had a knock on effect for the throttle snatch from closed and eliminated it almost to the point of being non-existent...

I really hope that you can understand my ramblings.... I'm dyslexic so it's quite a challenge lol
Makes perfect sense mate!

Were the air/fuel tweakings done purely through the "dashboard" settings and if so what are you using?
I also have the Akra fitted so i'd expect our bikes to be similar, so if you're just doing it via the on-board settings could I use your settings as a starting point (until I get a power commander) ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What i'd like is the Stoltec ECU flash!! but obviously thats not feasible !

http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/fz-09/14-fz-09-ecu-reflash/

B Mode

Retains original B mode throttle mapping for road and weather conditions requiring ultra-soft throttle response.
Smooths timing maps.
Eliminates injector cut on deceleration to reduce engine braking.

STD Mode

Reduces initial throttle tip-in to lessen drive line snatch/jerkiness.
‘Linearizes’ throttle response to deliver a natural, predictable engine response.
Reduces timing retard in gears 2-6 to deliver a stronger bottom end.
Smooths timing maps.
Reduces engine braking.

A Mode

Reduces initial throttle tip-in to lessen drive line snatch/jerkiness
Quick turn throttle response: full throttle plate opening is achieved at approximately 80% throttle position.
Reduces timing retard in first gear to deliver stronger off-idle response. Eliminates timing retard in gears 2-6.
Smooths timing maps.
Reduces engine braking.
Y isn't it feasible mate?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense mate!

Were the air/fuel tweakings done purely through the "dashboard" settings and if so what are you using?
I also have the Akra fitted so i'd expect our bikes to be similar, so if you're just doing it via the on-board settings could I use your settings as a starting point (until I get a power commander) ?
No this was all done on the computer

stevecbr

Reaction score
Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No this was all done on the computer[/QUOTE

So to clarify, your dyno matey had your MT09 patched to a computer and altered the fuel mapping and you are running the standard Yamaha ECU ?

What software was he using please and what kind of interface lead?
Yes all on the stock ECU

It was on a dyno.....short for dynojet...they are the people who make and invented the "power commander"!
The software is dynojet software...
He is fully trained and certified as a dyno technician so I know me and my bike will always be in capable hands.

Peruse......

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/index.php/splash

Cypher

Reaction score
How much would it cost to dyno my bike for someone like me? I wouldn't mind travelling 80 miles to Newbury at some point to have it tested by a trustable person.

RipGroove

Reaction score
How much would it cost to dyno my bike for someone like me? I wouldn't mind travelling 80 miles to Newbury at some point to have it tested by a trustable person.
^^ This, and also, did you mess with the on board A/F ratio at all while on the dyno? Just looking for a best case setting to tide me over before any dyno work. Would like to know if the value of 14 was actually any better than the factory value of zero.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well....as u all know the dealership belongs to my friend so I'm sure that if we got a solid date I cud sort out a dyno day and set all the bikes up together but if u were to want to just book a few runs individually I can sort that for around £55-£60 absolute max and just for info......if ur coming from that far away u will get some seriously mega tweaking/results 'coz ur bike will be at the optimum performance temp for the test.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^ This, and also, did you mess with the on board A/F ratio at all while on the dyno? Just looking for a best case setting to tide me over before any dyno work. Would like to know if the value of 14 was actually any better than the factory value of zero.
If u haven't already done it i wud definitely set the CO to 14 regardless 'coz that really is the best possible setting for the bike. The dyno is plugged into the ECU so any and all changes made by the technician are all made on the computer so no need to even touch the diagnostic function on the dash.

Also just out of interest...The dealership is a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership and the guy who does the Dyno here has been voted Suzuki mechanic of the year for the 2nd year in succession so he really does know his stuff when it comes to bikes lol.