EBC Clutch Springs Install.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Hello all, I've just ordered some new heavy duty springs and I just wanted to ask a question about the installation of them.

Do I just need to loosen and disconnect the clutch cable from the pull lever and then the cover will pull away from the casing, or do I need to do anything else?

I can't see anything in the manual about it, or I'm just not looking hard enough.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Someone here must have changed the springs... Anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

fizzy

Reaction score
Someone here must have changed the springs... Anyone?

Not on the mt09 but on plenty of others, just as you said un hook the cable remove the housing bolts and it's really straight forward, might be worth getting a new clutch cover gasget as they can split easily and work it in with a oil and filter changed

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Not on the mt09 but on plenty of others, just as you said un hook the cable remove the housing bolts and it's really straight forward, might be worth getting a new clutch cover gasget as they can split easily and work it in with a oil and filter changed
Cheers geez! It does look straight forward from the manual.

Do I need to make sure the pull rod is lined up with anything when reassembling?

fizzy

Reaction score
Cheers geez! It does look straight forward from the manual.

Do I need to make sure the pull rod is lined up with anything when reassembling?

If you look on the casing and the acutator arm theres a dot and a arrow when you put the casing back on they should line up if not you will have to remove the casing and re aline them , it looks like the same set up as my r1 and when I replaced the clutch casing on it it took 2 or 3 goes to get the arm in the right position but it was relatively easy just a bit of fiddling about :cool:

Luke_Price

Reaction score
If you look on the casing and the acutator arm theres a dot and a arrow when you put the casing back on they should line up if not you will have to remove the casing and re aline them , it looks like the same set up as my r1 and when I replaced the clutch casing on it it took 2 or 3 goes to get the arm in the right position but it was relatively easy just a bit of fiddling about :cool:
Right then, I've just put it back together and when the casing sat flush, the dot and arrow lined up perfectly after the second go.

But now when reconnecting the cable I have a ridiculous amount of slack and even with adjusting at both ends it's still stupidly slack. Any ideas?

fizzy

Reaction score
Right then, I've just put it back together and when the casing sat flush, the dot and arrow lined up perfectly after the second go.

But now when reconnecting the cable I have a ridiculous amount of slack and even with adjusting at both ends it's still stupidly slack. Any ideas?

Don't know mate, as I said the last one I had to replace was on a 08 r1 and it was really straight forward, might be worth trying the arm in a slightly different position to see if it makes any difference

Luke_Price

Reaction score
I've worked it out.
When you replace the clutch cover there is some free play in the pull lever.
You need to have the lever engaged with the clutch but NOT pulling it, if that makes sense.
I like to think of it as the resting position so when you've adjusted your cable it's in the correct position to pull the clutch plates apart when you operate the clutch lever..including your free play in the lever ofcourse.

whooshbang

Reaction score
maybe a stupid question but why fit these springs to the clutch? what advantage has it over the stock springs? the clutch feel fine on mine :confused:

Luke_Price

Reaction score
maybe a stupid question but why fit these springs to the clutch? what advantage has it over the stock springs? the clutch feel fine on mine :confused:
I, like so many have had my ECU flashed by TT and Simon.
When kicking the arse out of it in A mode, after the ECU has been flashed can cause the clutch to slip on some of our bikes. It's been known for a few bikes to have this problem after the flash.

POWEEEEERRRRRR!!! ?

whooshbang

Reaction score
That explains it nicely..... Getting mine flashed on Saturday :cool:

flydnb

Reaction score
Mine is not flashed and still got horrible clutch slip till i changed for the heavier springs , im on the original 2014 map as well with the supposed "snatchy throttle" .

RipGroove

Reaction score
Did the EBC heavy duty springs sort out the clutch slipping? I seem to remember mine slipping a little towards the end of last years riding season, I may as well stick some springs in myself.

Sent from my iPhone 

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Did the EBC heavy duty springs sort out the clutch slipping? I seem to remember mine slipping a little towards the end of last years riding season, I may as well stick some springs in myself.

Sent from my iPhone 
Sorted mine out!!
Can feel the difference in the lever, too. Not looking forward to traffic jams!

Maybe now my left hand will be as strong as my right ;)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Sorted mine out!!
Can feel the difference in the lever, too. Not looking forward to traffic jams!

Maybe now my left hand will be as strong as my right ;)

Awesome thanks!