First country ride

Credry

Reaction score
Took the MT for the first country ride today, notched up a good 350Km's, and I've got to say very impressed not only in performance (starting to loosen up now) but also economy.
I got 220Km's from a tank without even hitting the reserve (F- trip), this is awesome from a 14 litre tank, although I'm still in the running in phase so really only running quarter throttle Impressed that this sort of economy is possible.
I'm even starting to break the seat in a little, (or it's breaking me).
My only criticism would be that without the screen it leaves a very awkward area to clean that gets a lot of insects wedged in.
On the plus side now the missus knows what to get me for Christmas ;)
IMG_1457.jpg

SlanGlad

Reaction score
220 Km before hitting the reserve! Wow! I'm impressed. I think we don't have the same riding style. ;-)

Nice photograph btw.

Stripy

Reaction score
Hmm, credry,
I take my hat of for the impressive fuel consumption, however I must express my concerns of your breaking in method.
By the sounds of it, when you say, you only do a quarter throttle, it concerns me.
I can imagine you're running in high gears with low speed. This is called labouring, and is absolutely the worst you can do with a brand new engine!
If you read the User manual, you can see, Yamaha advises max revs of 5600rpm the first 1000km, but avoid labouring.
5600 rpm gives you a speed of approx 85mph/140kmh.

Instead, let the engine work for you, in every single gear. Use ther rev-range, forget about consumption the first 2000km, because it is a brand new engine, and needs to settle in.
But for sure, labouring is some of the worst you can do to your bike.

However, welcome to the forum and congratulations with your bike, hope you will love it for a long time ;)

Credry

Reaction score
Yeah, I know that labouring is the worst thing you can do p, the impressive mileage is more to do with long stints in top gear ( although not pinned at 5.5 ) but the way the bike picks up you can not (in my opinion) give it more than quater throttle and under 5,6.

tox

Reaction score
My first ride was from Perth to Geraldton for an overnighter. A pain in the ass trip, but still fun. Fuel economy is awsome. My retired race bike and my other road bike wish they had that economy. There all built for there purpose. I got around 220km country and a bit less hooning the burbs with mates.

jsosmp

Reaction score
Hey There Bud

whats the chance we can meet up for a ride, i too stay in perth (just north) and picked my MT last week ....
cheers

tox

Reaction score
Hey let me know when your free and we will hook up