Fitted My Zeta Handguards

crotchrocket

Reaction score
WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!! :rolleyes:

So i decided there were two options.

1, ditch the bar end weights and move the grips/controls in about 20mm (the length that the grips over sail the bars)
2, keep the bar end weights and fit the guards to them.

I chose option 2. I saw a few people (niner included?) had drilled out their bar end weights to accept the pinch bolt that comes with the guards, but that meant drilling a 14-15mm hole and i would loose the M8 Alan key fitting in the end of the bar end weight and i couldn't see how to get them on or off after that?? So i decided to drill and tap the weight to accept an M6 bolt keeping the M8 alan thing intact. So i went and bought a tap and die set and got to it!! There were a few issues with the mounting of these. The bars are tapered and neither the 22.2 or 28.6 clamps fitted. But as i got both sets with the hand guards on eBay i was able to use bits from each kit to make a clamp that fitted. I just had to drill out one of the clamp arms so i could pass an M8 bolt through it. This also overcame the clashing issue with the standard brackets and the clutch cable and the front brake reservoir on the other side. Anywhoo, it took most of a day to do, but the results look great and its a very rigid installation. Oh, and of course i attacked the guards with the carbon wrap lol

DOH!!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Hey dude I'm leaving that mirror on temporarily as I've ordered a bar end one.

pipski99

Reaction score
The finished item looks good with those hand guards but I wish there was a kit which was a straight fit without drilling and fabricating required.

Twozup

Reaction score
The finished item looks good with those hand guards but I wish there was a kit which was a straight fit without drilling and fabricating required.
There is-

SW MOTECH ones

Those look great with carbon Crotcrocket
And what a brilliant solution to problem of fitting to bar ends mate!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Suzuki DL650 V-strom is where to look. Had the exact same fitted to my fazer 1000, all the bolt holes and covers fit the Yam switchgear. Just a bit boxy looking so I fitted F800GS ones to my MT this time around, cost 3 x as much though !

Twozup

Reaction score
Do those bolt straight in to the existing bar ends then? Also do you have any link for them please or can you tell me which kit that is?

Thanks.
http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/SW-Motech-Yamaha-Kobra-Handguard-Kits-1.html

Yes pipski they bolt straight in- they come with their own shorter bar end weights. You have to really push them hard into grip rubber to get bolt to thread on but when it catches it's easy enough

Took a few dry runs to get them fitted - I had to loosen off the switchgear in throttle side but was only a five min job after that. Clutch side was a doddle

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

pipski99

Reaction score
Cool thanks for that link. I had found the Motohaus site and looked for the kits but I was looking for the BBStorm kit (barkbusters) and they don't have any Yamaha listings under those, only the Kobra kit.

May have to give them a call during the day.

watto

Reaction score
They both look really good the Motech looks excellent. Now to find a supplier here is Oz :confused:

Last edited:

Twozup

Reaction score
They both look really good the Motech looks excellent. Now to find a supplier here is Oz :confused:
Watto- they came from Germany and took 3 weeks!!
Motohaus were distributor in UK but I imagine they'd send to Oz.
Prob be a bloody fortune in postage and import tax though!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I hadn't realised Motech had released theres yet!! However, they are 3 times the price of the ones i picked up.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Anyway, stop hijacking my thread with these SW-Motech things.

You're all supposed to be in awe of my amazing metal working skills and one of a kind hand guards…..

Birdy

Reaction score
Looks great lads. .suits the look of the bike....but to be honest , still wake up sweating when i remember a few yeas back, my mate fitted bark busters to his DR 350, went over the bars, low speed off road , no probs..... EXCEPT .... he tried to hold on, those alloy brackets much stronger than wrists, which i can say BREAK .... the moral .... when you bin it . let it go !!:cool: