Fork Oil ?

Locksmith

Reaction score
I had it suggested to me that Yamalube fork oil is Silkolene in disguise. Is there any truth in this?

marthy

Reaction score
I did the .90 springs with 10W oil for a while, it was ok. I now have the GP piston kit from Stoltec with 7W oil and I raise the oil level to 130mm instead of 148mm stock. The oil level greatly improve the diving under hard braking. If you ride on bumpy road a lot, stick with 5W or 7W max. 10W would be ok if your road are relatively smooth.

Make sure both side has the same oil level...

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
My roads are generally bumpy nowdays so going with 5W I think.
Ohlins say 145mm level, should I stick with that?

Once the forks are back on the bike, can I add/remove oil myself?

How much oil is required for the job?

Last edited:

marthy

Reaction score
My roads are generally bumpy nowdays so going with 5W I think.
Ohlins say 145mm level, should I stick with that?

Once the forks are back on the bike, can I add/remove oil myself?

How much oil is required for the job?
If you have the stock valving you could go up to 7W. 10W might still be ok and 5W might not make a big difference.

As far as oil level goes, all depend of your riding style. If you are aggressive on the brake and feel like the bike dive too much... I would add some. The air gap on a fork is like a progressive spring. As the volume of air is reduce when the suspension compress the spring rate increase exponentially. The trick is to bring the oil level to the point where you are just a hair shy of bottoming the suspension under hard braking. 130mm oil level do it for me.

Im 180lbs w/o gear with .90kg/mm springs + no preload (37mm rider sag)

Bike handle great on the street and I can keep up with most SS bikes at the track in the turns.

On the side note... I use that with the ZX -10 rear shock with 9.1kg/mm spring (33mm rider sag)
LSB:all open
HSB: 1T in from full soft
REB: 1.25T in from full soft

Rear ride height is 10mm higher (338mm c/c instead of 330mm) and front fork is standard height.

flipper

Reaction score
as we've said before going by oil W is a misnomer as manufacturers weight ratings vary even between their own oil ranges.

Silkolene don't have a 7W.

Go with the 5W Silkolene, if that is what your fitter sells. You can add by cc's (volume) if you need to raise the oil level. Just add the same amount to each leg, say 5cc at a time, then ride and see the effect.

1 litre is more than enough for both legs.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know where I'm heading now.
Got the shock fitted tonight, away for weekend then having the springs fitted Wednesday and then more than likely the weather will change and the bike will get left in the garage for the winter :)

marthy

Reaction score
as we've said before going by oil W is a misnomer as manufacturers weight ratings vary even between their own oil ranges.

Silkolene don't have a 7W.

Go with the 5W Silkolene, if that is what your fitter sells. You can add by cc's (volume) if you need to raise the oil level. Just add the same amount to each leg, say 5cc at a time, then ride and see the effect.

1 litre is more than enough for both legs.
27cc was 20mm on the oil level...

Locksmith

Reaction score
Fork springs fitted, ohlins shock fitted. Bet it's raining Sunday so I can't test it out!

Locksmith

Reaction score
I know they are 300mm in length, no idea of diameter, i'll have a look tonight for you.