frame issues

paul stevens

Reaction score
Hi I have just got my bike last week and have done about 400 miles so far but I have noticed on the right hand side of the frame behind the top rear engine mount in the recess there are two black security torx headed bolts and around the front one there seems to be a crack? this could just be a mark in the mold for the frame, could you look on yours and see if you have the same?
regards Paul.

Spook99

Reaction score
MT09 Frame.jpg

Thats a bit worrying, just checked mine and got the same thing, tried uploading a photo (sorry its sideways) but its above and round the recess for the front of the 2 torx bolts. I hate to say but it doesnt look even enough to be a mark in the mold, but lets hope so.

I'm not far away from my dealer, who i only got it from 3 weeks ago. So I'll get them to look at it and see what they say

paul stevens

Reaction score
that photo is exactly the same as mine so I am thinking that it is a fault in the mould?
thanks for that. paul.
View attachment 3176

Thats a bit worrying, just checked mine and got the same thing, tried uploading a photo (sorry its sideways) but its above and round the recess for the front of the 2 torx bolts. I hate to say but it doesnt look even enough to be a mark in the mold, but lets hope so.

I'm not far away from my dealer, who i only got it from 3 weeks ago. So I'll get them to look at it and see what they say

M

MT account

thats casting marks, a lot of the frame would have been covered in them but polished out in the factory.... those were missed ..... no way round rectifying that without polishing the frame again.....and then the black is gone.

guffter6969

Reaction score
Just had a quick look and I can see and feel a slight moulding fault across the upper edge of the aperture.

M

MT account

if you want piece of mind, take the tank off and look at the rough casting inside. the frame will be covered in them, its a natural part of casting things and it gets polished out in the finishing process.......or not in the case of those marks.....:)

Spook99

Reaction score
I couldn't work out how you posted my photo!!?? Had to check your post twice.

And yeah MT has to be right, even the fine detail of the mark is exactly the same on both photos. Even if these were stress cracks from a fault in the frame they couldn't look so identical.

Small sigh of relief

MadGelo

Reaction score
Sorry to say, your bike is totaled.

Willing to pay you 100£ for the scrap.

Psycho Paul

Reaction score
I have a real MT-09 not a Tracer lol.

I have the same marks along the right hand side of my swingarm,
I took it straight back to the dealers and they said "it looks like casting marks that have been missed in the polishing."
Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse they will replace the arm.
That was 3 months ago and the arm's the same.

sedavbe

Reaction score
Looks like the overall finish quality is below par in certain aspects, I have one on the left side engine casing that I first thought was a crack as it goes in an arc from one of the screws and was really suspicious at first glans, thought they'd tightened the bolt too much an it had cracked but on closer inspection it does look like a casting seam or at least that's what I'm telling myself. Now we know why its cheaper than the competion... a rush job, time to market thing.
It'll be ok when I get the saddle fixed, still sore after coughing up for the comfort con :mad:

PaulG

Reaction score
Looks like the overall finish quality is below par in certain aspects, I have one on the left side engine casing that I first thought was a crack as it goes in an arc from one of the screws and was really suspicious at first glans, thought they'd tightened the bolt too much an it had cracked but on closer inspection it does look like a casting seam or at least that's what I'm telling myself. Now we know why its cheaper than the competion... a rush job, time to market thing.
It'll be ok when I get the saddle fixed, still sore after coughing up for the comfort con :mad:
First glans???
How many do you have?

Ruff

Reaction score
Holy mother of God! I've had a terrible night because of that crack I've noticed yesterday. My bike has only 3500 km mileage.
The crack on my bike looks exactly the same. Right sigh of the frame.

12166933_1275150182511038_1802802330_n.jpg

I will report it to my dealer anyway, but has anybody did it already and what was the answer or dealer reaction ??

Last edited:

donut

Reaction score
Interesting that it's only on the right hand side.

Maybe we should all go and check the new bikes in the dealer showrooms and see what they are like.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read the previous posts guys. They are casting marks. They were on my 63 plate and they will be on the 65 plates I can tell you