Frustration with OEM heated grips

mrmortar

Reaction score
I've recently purchased some OEM Yammy heated grips for my Tracer. Fitment is excellent, however I noticed whilst riding on anything above the minimum heat setting the right grip becomes unbearably hot to the point it starts to burn my hand. Meanwhile the left grip only ever gets luke warm and any setting. Worth noting you really start to notice the intense heat when you get moving I guess because the alternator is pumping out more electrical juice - its felt dangerous at one point because I couldn't hold the throttle.

I had a look around on google at is seems on other forums some folks have experienced the same where others have not - maybe I have faulty grips?
Out of curiosity I swapped the electric plug connectors which interface with the bikes wiring between grips and this made no difference, right grip still burns my hand (I was testing this where air temp was aroudn 14 degrees).

I suspect it has a lot to do with the left grip being mounted directly onto the metal bar but the manufacturer should compensate for such by insulating more or adding something extra so the left grip can apply more heat.

My previous Honda never had this issue, in fact it was perfect temps on both sides.

To that end I've returned to the dealer as I can't see the point in them if one had only gets warm but at this stage refuse to give a refund as they say its an electrical item. Its back to Yamaha to see what they say......

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I tired mine this afternoon and they are fine, both same temperature on all settings, guess you may have one faulty grip.

mrmortar

Reaction score
I tired mine this afternoon and they are fine, both same temperature on all settings, guess you may have one faulty grip.
yes, maybe so. While sitting stationary they seem to warm equally but once you get up to speed for a while the right one becomes over bearable.

kim.milde

Reaction score
measure the temperature with an IR or something.. Try to loose your grip while you drive.. Most of us hold very firmly on the throttle..

Stripy

Reaction score
Is it possible for you to test with an ampere meter on each grip, on a standstill?
It shouldn't be the speed that makes the heat increase, but rather the revs as in the alternator producing more power :)

Have you connected and installed yourself, or was that done by the dealer?
Are you based in UK? Then just simple remind him about Sales of Goods act - you can chase his bum for 6 years for this fault :)

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Unplug each grip, obtain a multimeter, each grip will be fed by two wires, with the multimeter set to ohms measure across the two wires of each grip and compare, ideally each grip should measure much the same, if you have a grip problem I would expect the right grip ( throttle) to have a higher reading (more resistance).

The left grip as said already mounts to aluminium bar, this will heatsink it to a certain extent, the right grip being mounted on a plastic drum will not heatsink so much and logic says it would be hotter, hot enough to be uncomfortable though? I doubt it.

Faulty right grip is my best guess, however apply a little science as above and you can prove it.

carsicchris

Reaction score
Hope this helps I was told its because the throttle grip is a thinner wall , because of the throttle body ,I think

mrmortar

Reaction score
Hi all, the dealer said they contacted Yamaha and said they was no issues returned the grips so I've managed to get a full refund. Probably helps that I bought a bike from then I guess. Ordered some Oxford ones instead - likely not as great but half the price :)

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Well pretty sure there must have been something wrong with them. I went out for a couple of hours early this morning when it was still only 5 or 6 degrees and purposely played around with the grips. one setting one mine are both luke warm, on lever two both are nice and toasty and on level three they were both to hot for me ( I was only wearing thin summer gloves). The temperature on both grips on mine seem about the same on all settings.

mrmortar

Reaction score
Well pretty sure there must have been something wrong with them. I went out for a couple of hours early this morning when it was still only 5 or 6 degrees and purposely played around with the grips. one setting one mine are both luke warm, on lever two both are nice and toasty and on level three they were both to hot for me ( I was only wearing thin summer gloves). The temperature on both grips on mine seem about the same on all settings.
I think you are probably right in terms of them being faulty.

I've since fitted a pair of Oxford grips and they heat evenly. Not as fast to warm up as the Yamaha but i suppose thats the trade off when you got for aftermarket grips.

Corie509

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem with my grips, they were fitted by the dealer.
Clutch side warm, throttle side burning your hand off!
You can adjust each of the three settings from level 1-10 which helps a little but they are still not evenly heating.
Dam annoying Yamaha!

Tracer1

Reaction score
I've recently purchased some OEM Yammy heated grips for my Tracer. Fitment is excellent, however I noticed whilst riding on anything above the minimum heat setting the right grip becomes unbearably hot to the point it starts to burn my hand. Meanwhile the left grip only ever gets luke warm and any setting. Worth noting you really start to notice the intense heat when you get moving I guess because the alternator is pumping out more electrical juice - its felt dangerous at one point because I couldn't hold the throttle.

I had a look around on google at is seems on other forums some folks have experienced the same where others have not - maybe I have faulty grips?
Out of curiosity I swapped the electric plug connectors which interface with the bikes wiring between grips and this made no difference, right grip still burns my hand (I was testing this where air temp was aroudn 14 degrees).

I suspect it has a lot to do with the left grip being mounted directly onto the metal bar but the manufacturer should compensate for such by insulating more or adding something extra so the left grip can apply more heat.

My previous Honda never had this issue, in fact it was perfect temps on both sides.

To that end I've returned to the dealer as I can't see the point in them if one had only gets warm but at this stage refuse to give a refund as they say its an electrical item. Its back to Yamaha to see what they say......
Just seen another post on FB regarding this issue and the connectors had been installed on the wrong sides. Once changed round, both heated the same. Might be worth double checking.

Last edited:

mrmortar

Reaction score
Just seen another post on FB regarding this issue and the connectors had been installed on the wrong sides. Once changed round, both heated the same. Might be worth checking.
Yeah so made no difference on mine mate - i deliberately swapped teh connections around to see if it made it better - but no joy.

Better off with Oxford grips! they work fine ;)

mrmortar

Reaction score
How do you adjust the heat settings (1-10)? I did not see that in the fitting instructions...
I never found that option - it appears to have only 3 heat variations even thought I clocked that in the the manual.

mrmortar

Reaction score
Indeedy - whereabouts in Chester are you from - I'm up on the Wirral

Sibbo46

Reaction score
yep there are defintely 1 to 10 settings in the menu although you can only chose 1 to 5 for low, 4 to 8? for med & 6 to 10 for high settings etc cannot adjust each side separately