FZ-09 / MT-09 original design Drawing. Details behind its development

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
12-07-2013 10-49-22 PM.jpg

This engine is excellent, it pulls superbly, already at low and mid revs” says test rider Jeffry de Vries. “The throttle response is so immediate and direct, and you feel you have a lot of power, always. It’s a treat to ride it. There are some characteristic vibrations and they are nice too. Instead of being annoying, they give a certain character to the bike. It’s a new experience.”

Engine CAD

In fact, this modern and fuel-efficient engine incorporates the latest racing technologies. They combine power and precision with light weight. Its DOHC engine design features downdraft intakes, forged pistons, plated cylinders and fracture-split connecting rods. “We were able to make this engine 10 kilo’s lighter than the 4-cylinder FZ-8 engine” states Project Leader Akira Kimori.

Engine with offset cylinders

Offset cylinders
The cylinders are offset by 5mm from the centre of the crankshaft to reduce friction losses: a recent Yamaha technology already applied in the YZ450F motocrosser. By offsetting the cylinders, the conrod position is more straight under the piston at the moment of greatest combustion force and the piston is not pushed into the cylinder wall so strongly. This also improves fuel fficiency.

Injection precision

Injection precision
The fuel injection uses 12-hole injectors that are attached directly to the cylinder head for precise and efficient injection directly at the valve skirt. At the same time, this position enables a shortening of the throttle body, for better performance in the high rpm range. Yamaha’s fly-by-wire throttle (YCC-T) ensures an exciting and direct throttle response which can be adjusted by the D-mode system in three different settings.

Intake funnels with uneven lengths

Quicker warm-up
Even the water cooling route is kind of unique: our engineers developed a layout with short hoses and a thermostat located before the water pump, resulting in light weight and quicker warm-p
(which even helps for fuel efficiency and emissions too).

Read the rest @ Yamaha EU

robodene

Reaction score
I was so struck by the original design that I prepared a feedback kind of memo to Yamaha. Can't find anywhere to send it so I'll try using your site. Sorry it's too long, I know:
MT-09: Just my Opinion (MHUnqualifiedO) - and only from the Photographs
The overall design of the MT-09 is 'workmanlike'. On the other hand, The design of Oliver Grill's "Sketch" is beautiful, a work of art - lovely flowing lines (congratulations to him), a sparkling, triumphal achievement that was obviously not allowed passed the gate of the frightened Yamaha powers that be. Shame is that, it really is. Would'nt we all have ached for one of those? The cry must have gone up: 'More bland!'. Not for the best, surely? Yamaha did similar to the MT-03 - somewhat to its detriment. The MT-09 does have a good silhouette - nice balanced design with nothing untoward. However, it does not flow as a design. The frame is visually awkward, with the opening around the cylinder head seeming to 'point' the wrong way; it moves the eye up rather than forward and it gives a 'tall' appearance to the design (was that intended?). The 'superstructure' looks good and the sensible narrowness between the legs will be very welcome. The size of the tank is a triumph of box ticking (maximum wet weight) over common sense. I ride around country lanes and go 75 miles or more without seeing a fuel station; it means diverting for fuel which is not pleasing. Is this then just an urban bike? (plenty of fuel stations there) Even just two more litres would have made sense - 20 more miles or so and still under 190kg wet weight. So, a mistake. Wet weights quoted as standard have done us riders no favours, it seems. The Vmax-type air scoops look, to me, like blanks from the photos and, if that is the case, their space would have been better allocated to fuel (still with a plastic appearance of a vent of some kind perhaps). The headlight goes well with the bike and if it functions as well as it looks, it will be good. Above the light is a mess: maybe a fly screen will be offered - it certainly needs it for disguise. The seat is welcome as being nearly flat and nearly horizontal - at last seats are improving for riders. Its height is ideal - very welcome and against the current trend. All that is well done. The seat's appearance, though, is strangely pointed at the rear (in profile) with the rear light rather 'stuck on' and ill-matching (again see 'Sketch'). The rear light unit itself does look great, though. There is one final aspect for further seat research for manufacturers and that is seat softness. My two Yamahas have very firm foam - too firm (I changed both seats in a major way). The Germans love a hard seat (car or bike) but does anyone else? Some compliance in the foam that works with the suspension could improve comfort a lot. I presume no pillion handles because of the weight issue (on the accessories list, no doubt). The pillion seat looks a little meagre as to width. Colour options are a mixed bag: the fashionable gloomy black and matt grey are there. But there is no red for UK (USA, yes) and the nearest to red is, instead, orange - not nearly so desirable. And, unfortunately, there is no colour coded front fender, unless we buy the Deep Armor which is very classy indeed. Black front fenders on a coloured bike detract a lot from the appearance and desirablility. (My MT-03 is about to get a sprayed front fender). Your engine will be fantastic, no doubt - just what is needed. And if the bike is built to Yamaha's usual leading solidity and reliability then they will have a success on their hands. I really do want one, but my 73 years, sadly, might militate against a purchase. Finally, here is an idea: make the whole instrument panel flash when we are using indicators; then we will never leave them on. Finally, finally: remember that the reason why we "admire Yamaha bikes but do not buy them" is that their prices are too high in the UK.

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
Concerning price, have pity on us in Norway. Upon purchase, we need to pay about as much in tax, so the price is often double that in UK.