Good time to buy?

RMWL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Still finding my way around the forum and so not sure if I'm found the best area to post this but the "Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Dealers & Pricing" area is under the "2014 Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Ownership" section ??

Anyway....

What would you say was a good cash price (no trade in) for a 2016 MT-09 from a main dealer?

And now we're mid July, is it a good time to buy or will there be better deals to be done as we approach the new reg in September?

Or does it even make sense to wait until the new reg for better future residual value?

If it was even a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have thought anything about it but it is getting a bit close now so would like to hear a few opinions. Would be a shame to miss the good weather though!

Cheers.

chump

Reaction score
Ring around and see. Cash or finance? Cash is not good for dealers - they get commission on finance products (£400 for Yamaha finance for example) as well as bike sales.

I've never found a huge saving for no part ex; if the dealer wants to sell you a bike they'll give a good, after too good to miss, part ex offer.

When MT-09s were in short supply you'd get no discount at all. I got what I think was a good deal on mine, but I part exchanged 2 bikes against it. Are there plenty about now?

My experience with Len Manchester in Melton Mowbray is that they'll give me a good deal. Others have posted about Motorcycle Mart in Kidderminster. Phone around and get delivery included in the price.

Last edited:

kzxr

Reaction score
I got a really good deal from Motorcycle Mart in Kiddy, it helped that the bike was in stock and the price given for my part ex was too good to miss. Deffo worth a call to Steve in sales and see what he can do.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Another vote for Steve at Motorcycle Mart. He offered the best cash price and best part-ex figure from every Yamaha dealer in the UK who was holding stock at the time. I called all of them to see who was the most keen. Some were rigidly sticking to the full RRP. As Chump says, they'll want to make money on finance deals, but shifting units is what they want and cash is King for negotiating. I got a cracking deal for a new '65 plate a month after the new rego was released in October last year.

RMWL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Motorcycle Mart's Steve certainly seems the go to guy! I did pop in there a couple of weeks ago for a look around when over in that direction (and saw kzxr's new bike!) but didn't have chance to talk turkey with any of the sales staff.

<snip> but shifting units is what they want and cash is King for negotiating. I got a cracking deal for a new '65 plate a month after the new rego was released in October last year.
This is part of the dilemma.... I remember reading from another thread on here what you paid and that really was a fantastic deal. Helped I'm sure by the time of year and many looking to put their bikes away for winter rather than buying new, but food for thought as perhaps waiting a few weeks could mean its repeated and not just a one-off.

No harm in making a few enquiries now, but apart from having no bike at the mo and so missing out on the sunny days and dry roads I'm in no particular rush.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
...I remember reading from another thread on here what you paid and that really was a fantastic deal. Helped I'm sure by the time of year and many looking to put their bikes away for winter rather than buying new..
Timed well, which I'm sure helped. Being in sales myself, I thought they'd gave end of quarter figures to reach so played one off against another. Literally called every Yamaha dealer, starting south and heading north - where the better deals always are in my opinion, and the service friendlier!

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Motorcycle Mart's Steve certainly seems the go to guy! I did pop in there a couple of weeks ago for a look around when over in that direction (and saw kzxr's new bike!) but didn't have chance to talk turkey with any of the sales staff.

This is part of the dilemma.... I remember reading from another thread on here what you paid and that really was a fantastic deal. Helped I'm sure by the time of year and many looking to put their bikes away for winter rather than buying new, but food for thought as perhaps waiting a few weeks could mean its repeated and not just a one-off.

No harm in making a few enquiries now, but apart from having no bike at the mo and so missing out on the sunny days and dry roads I'm in no particular rush.
Personally, I'd rather spend a few hundred quid more if I had to and enjoy riding a bike in the good weather.

RMWL

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather spend a few hundred quid more if I had to and enjoy riding a bike in the good weather.
I fully agree, however the Chief Finance Officer (who is currently downstairs cooking my tea) would prefer the household remaining at the 'no bike' option so that few hundred quid can be significant in the negotiations..... :)

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I fully agree, however the Chief Finance Officer (who is currently downstairs cooking my tea) would prefer the household remaining at the 'no bike' option so that few hundred quid can be significant in the negotiations..... :)
Very good point. Best of luck :D

kzxr

Reaction score
Well, mine came to the shop, I showed her the options, she agreed that mine was the best looking bike in the shop!! Job done, ;)

RMWL

Reaction score
Well, mine came to the shop, I showed her the options, she agreed that mine was the best looking bike in the shop!! Job done, ;)
It would help me if bike shops sold handbags and shoes too... hmm now there's a shrewd business opportunity..... ;)

chump

Reaction score
I usually get away with "it was a bargain" without getting into too much detail!!