Heavy throttle spring

TommyM

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the MT09 throttle is quite a heavy pull?
This is separate to the snatch (which doesn't bother me) but I find I'm gripping the throttle quite hard which gets annoying.
I've fitted stickier grips but wondered if it will ease up with more miles? It's done 2000 so far.
Thanks

lee1980

Reaction score
Not me here felt it was average if anything side ways play seemed a bit much but got used to that now

Normsthename

Reaction score
Only had my MT09 / FZ09 for a week now but the throttle is way lighter than the Yamaha FJR1300 throttle I had before.
They are known for being really heavy and an unofficial cure was to unwind the spring on the Throttle Body one turn.

Andy

flydnb

Reaction score
Throttle seems very light to me, as did the clutch , that's why I have heavier springs in now.

marthy

Reaction score
I did notice the same thing too, much stiffer than my FZ6R. I end up pulling the spring off and heating it up with a propane torch until glowing red. Then air cool... do not dump in water!

I like it better like that...

TommyM

Reaction score
I like a good bodge! Where is the spring? Easy to get at?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it was heavy in the slightest, i ride 3 other bikes on a regular basis and it's much the same as they are. Perhaps it's a what you are used to thing?

acjimmy8

Reaction score
I feel the same ,the pull is super heavy for me.

I try the "Fire spring to red idea "and it doesnt work for me,my spring just broke....and my throttle never return...

So i buy a set of brand new throttle body for my mt09.....

I saw a listing on ebay ,it's a light spring the seller said.

May be i should give it a try.....

acjimmy8

Reaction score
may be there are two different type mt09?

Some 09 like mine ,throttle is super heavy .

TommyM

Reaction score
I'm cable tying the throttle open every night to wear the spring. After a few weeks it seems a tad lighter. Definitely compared to show room bikes

the voices

Reaction score
This thread is a wind up, you lot seriously have a problem with the throttle being too heavy ?
dont want to offend anyone but jesus christ this is stupid i have a bigger worry that the shops now charge 5p for a carry bag................

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thread is a wind up, you lot seriously have a problem with the throttle being too heavy ?
dont want to offend anyone but jesus christ this is stupid i have a bigger worry that the shops now charge 5p for a carry bag................
I know right....
I have to do 15 trips to the car with the shopping now so I don't have to buy any bags lol [emoji33]

jezthomas

Reaction score
Obviously there is a variance between bikes, and it's good to remember that everyone's experience can be different, even if the parameters appear identical at first.
My late 2015 model is certainly considerably heavier of throttle spring than my last bike, which was perfect, and consequently my hand tends to ache a bit on 200km+ trips. Given a choice I'd choose a cheap and easy option of lightening it if it was out there, but equally I'm sure I'll get used to it - the world won't stop revolving.
So I welcome any advice from those with a similar experience who have found canny resolutions.