How Is Your MT’s Appearance and Finish Standing Up to Winter?

Del Mar

Reaction score
This question is really directed at those owners who have been riding their MTs for a few months and have done so during all sorts of weather.

I tend to get ahead of the (corrosion) game by using ACF-50 which I believe does make a difference but, basically, how is the appearance and finish of your MT standing up to UK winter weather so far? Are there any areas where they are starting to look a bit ‘daggy’, or even signs or corrosion?

I ask as, unlike previous bikes I’ve owned, the MT won’t be just a fair weather, sunny day only sort of bike – I need to use it in the real world of commuting in all weathers from time to time. My bikes are always kept in my garage (carpeted, yes sad I know LOL..!), so they’re out of the elements when not in use.

All opinions and reports gratefully received.

Bonsor

Reaction score
Hello mate ive been riding in all weathers , try not to take it out in the wet but sometimes have to but it seems to be pretty good so far , a bit on the exhaust manifold i cant get back to chrome but havnt given it a proper clean to be honest

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I ride mine in all weathers since November, on the whole the bike is looking pretty good but the brake disc bolts are looking pretty crappy already. This has been the case on every Yamaha i have ever owned, i'll replace with stainless bolts as soon as they're available.

The worst thing is the rear suspension unit, it already has corrosion coming through. It probably hasn't helped that the rear hugger has a drainage hole that lets spray through onto the suspension unit. The dealer has had a look and says he will replace it under warranty. I'm assuming this is just a one-off, though if anybody else is having issues let me know.

I also use act-50, there is nothing better imho.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
I ride mine in all weathers since November, on the whole the bike is looking pretty good but the brake disc bolts are looking pretty crappy already. This has been the case on every Yamaha i have ever owned, i'll replace with stainless bolts as soon as they're available.

The worst thing is the rear suspension unit, it already has corrosion coming through. It probably hasn't helped that the rear hugger has a drainage hole that lets spray through onto the suspension unit. The dealer has had a look and says he will replace it under warranty. I'm assuming this is just a one-off, though if anybody else is having issues let me know.

I also use act-50, there is nothing better imho.
ACF50 and Silkolene Pro RG red grease on all the underslung boltheads has worked for me for years.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Have used mine a few times in bad weather, and when roads have been gritted, and I'm pretty anal about cleaning and bike always garaged, but brake banjo bolts are starting to tarnish a bit, and rear shock, the bit under the spring, looks like it may be starting to corrode.
I also use ACF50, WD40 and scottoiler fs365 on all exposed parts to

psychoattractor

Reaction score
That's the exact bit Steve, just below the spring, it started to tarnish way back in November before they even gritted the roads!

I use ACF50, WD40, FS365, and wash after every wet run with Muc Off Nano Tech.

Looks like that part may be problem for most owners, like i say the dealer said it will be changed.

Birdy

Reaction score
Using bike every day for past few weeks, covered it in acf 50 , started looking like it had been stored on a Grimbsy trawler ! So i thought i better give it one of my deep cleans [bucket of warm water and sponge] Came up glistening like a freshly hatched turtle ! Re sprayed acf , and repeat deep clean in about oooo, 3 months !

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
That's the exact bit Steve, just below the spring, it started to tarnish way back in November before they even gritted the roads!

I use ACF50, WD40, FS365, and wash after every wet run with Muc Off Nano Tech.

Looks like that part may be problem for most owners, like i say the dealer said it will be changed.
For me the same problem. I have no idea where this comes from.

flydnb

Reaction score
this would be covered under warranty as no one would expect corrosion within 2 months or less

flydnb

Reaction score
im finding this a bit worrying as I have put a refundable deposit on my mt but am thinking twice about the purchase now.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Heres a photo of mine. I know it doesnt look much, but remember its under 3 months old, less than 1000 miles, and I clean it regularly, and use ACF50, scottoiler fs365, and wd40.
I will try seeing if it comes of with a toothbrush
2014-01-22 16.55.00.jpg

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I'll try and post a pic when the bike is clean and dry, but it's the exact same place around the welding. I wouldn't let is stop you buying the bike, that would be crazy for one part, it will get replaced under warranty after all.

If it turns out that it's a widespread problem surely it will become a recall?

flydnb

Reaction score
hmmmm that rear shock looks like a pile of shit to be honest, in the way it performs and build quality, that's where Yamaha cut there costs to keep the price down, thanks for the pic steve.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Mine is two weeks old and the bar end wight bolts are going rusty !!! I got some ACF in the post this week. I'll be washing the bike this weekend and coating everything

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
For me the same problem. I have no idea where this comes from.
I have the same problem. My dealer asked to mail some pictures so he can claim it for guarantee.
My front fork has stains who seem to be mat colored. I can't get them away by polishing. Another guarantee item for me.