How to disable ABS on the rear wheel?

guidow

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I would really like to turn off the ABS on the rear wheel, I personally just like sliding around supermoto style a bit. Do you think it is possible?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Probably not, the whole system is monitored for faults and will turn on the fault lamp and disable the entire system if it detects something wrong, say for example you unplugged the wheel speed sensor, the ecu would see a signal from the front wheels then when it see's nothing from the rear it would throw on the fault lamp and disable the ABS entirely, this would happen for any paert of the ABS if it's disconnected or messed with, the only way to do it would be for software changes in the ECU and I seriously doubt you'd find anyone that would mess with that because liability.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hey Guys,

I would really like to turn off the ABS on the rear wheel, I personally just like sliding around supermoto style a bit. Do you think it is possible?
Look... it is possible to flick your bike even with the abs "on". there is a video on u-tube with a Japanese rider who does endos on a mt09 abs model.
The endo could happened when the speed is 30km or lower..
I use to slide my mt when i'm on crossroads.. i shift down 2 gears (from 4th to 2nd) and at the same time i press the rear brake just enough to flick the bike.
I'm sure you can do it if you exercise your right foot to step on brake just as is enough, before the abs "understand" that you are braking.
When rear abs is activated the sliding immediatelly stops and the bike does not turn but going straight.
So you must "play" some at an open area and try to do it.
For example if you like to turn it left (some riders find it easier when turn left, personally i like it both sides) first you must take position of body at the left side of bike, then shift down as gears you need/like and put some press (gently) on the brake's pedal.. you'll realise that the traction of rear wheel is lost, then the bike flicks and you'll be sawing at the way or street you like to go.. then open the throtlle and that's it... MT-09 is a "giga"supermotard !!!
When at the above precedure the rear abs will be activated, you will ruin all of your effort and the bike will not turn but it will try to go straight..
The truth is that the abs has had save me for some serious crashes.
It's there whenever i need it and there isn't any reason to deactivate it...
By the way i wrote you can have a good portion of supermoto fun safelly.

P.S. I don't know about your riding skills but i learn how to slide my bikes after was been the best student at a supermotard sliding school back in 2003.
Then i owned a KTM LC-4 640s/m which was cool for that tricks.
Because i like the most that way of turning at lower speeds, i did it even on my DL650V-strom (non abs model) for 8 years. So, with the MT is was very easy for me to do it again
Try to do it on your MT with less speed than 30km/20mi cause at this speed the abs is not activated.
When you achieve it start trying it at higher speed...
It's easier when trying it on slippery surfaces... just hang loose from the handlebars and don't be scared :cool:

Last edited:

guidow

Reaction score
Look... it is possible to flick your bike even with the abs "on". there is a video on u-tube with a Japanese rider who does endos on a mt09 abs model.
The endo could happened when the speed is 30km or lower..
I use to slide my mt when i'm on crossroads.. i shift down 2 gears (from 4th to 2nd) and at the same time i press the rear brake just enough to flick the bike.
I'm sure you can do it if you exercise your right foot to step on brake just as is enough, before the abs "understand" that you are braking.
When rear abs is activated the sliding immediatelly stops and the bike does not turn but going straight.
So you must "play" some at an open area and try to do it.
For example if you like to turn it left (some riders find it easier when turn left, personally i like it both sides) first you must take position of body at the left side of bike, then shift down as gears you need/like and put some press (gently) on the brake's pedal.. you'll realise that the traction of rear wheel is lost, then the bike flicks and you'll be sawing at the way or street you like to go.. then open the throtlle and that's it... MT-09 is a "giga"supermotard !!!
When at the above precedure the rear abs will be activated, you will ruin all of your effort and the bike will not turn but it will try to go straight..
The truth is that the abs has had save me for some serious crashes.
It's there whenever i need it and there isn't any reason to deactivate it...
By the way i wrote you can have a good portion of supermoto fun safelly.

P.S. I don't know about your riding skills but i learn how to slide my bikes after was been the best student at a supermotard sliding school back in 2003.
Then i owned a KTM LC-4 640s/m which was cool for that tricks.
Because i like the most that way of turning at lower speeds, i did it even on my DL650V-strom (non abs model) for 8 years. So, with the MT is was very easy for me to do it again
Try to do it on your MT with less speed than 30km/20mi cause at this speed the abs is not activated.
When you achieve it start trying it at higher speed...
It's easier when trying it on slippery surfaces... just hang loose from the handlebars and don't be scared :cool:

I also did a supermoto school, also had a ktm, also had a vstrom and did exactly the same. The mt 09 would be great to do it with too.. but the abs kicks in way too fast, even if I gently touch it shift down twice etc etc.anyway, it's just a bit bothersome.

M

MT account

after doing burnouts on my ER6's the rear abs would not function again until the system was reset. so if you wanna go full motard just try lighting up the tyre first n see how you get on....

stevecbr

Reaction score
I;m certain Chris at superbike pulled the ABS fuse on his MT09 to disable his ABS. I think you just get a ABS warning on the dash if you do this (mine is non ABS so I cant confirm)

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
With the fuse out, it should just act like a normal brake system; but the abs light will be on, and a fault code will be stored.

You possibly could use the front sensor as the reference for both wheels, but I don't know how the ecu would react, as I guess it would expect to see differing wheel speeds due to the difference in rolling circumference of the two wheels. Other than that you would have to build a signal generator to connect the rear sensor leads to.

marksim

Reaction score
As ive said before on here in other posts,i used an engine on/off kill switch and wired it up to the ABS fuse under the seat.
Dont use the ABS control fuse behind the R/H front panel as this also stops the speedo working.
Make sure you wire it up so its on the out of the fuse.
You can then switch between ABS on & off while riding but the ABS warning light will stay on even if you turn it back on.until you turn the ignition on and off so it can reset itself.
Check my photos and posts out if you want anymore info013.jpg

Last edited: