I installed a USB socket to the factory auxiliary connection [PHOTO's]

RipGroove

Reaction score
Real quick thread as I'm running late, excuse the photos too, crappy lighting in my garage!

I'm probably going to get a TomTom Rider 400 SatNav so figured I'd need to power it somehow so this is what I've done. The whole thing can be completely reversed which would leave the bike with two hidden 4mm holes on the bracket that the dash mounts to. You could literally very easily mount the socket anywhere you want, I chose this particular position as it's pretty well hidden and out of the way even when in use. There is another thread here where it's mounted some place else but I wanted to leave that space free as I may fit a steering damper at some point: "Hidden" USB charger. [Photo Heavy]

Parts needed:

Plug - £3.99: MT090-2 Auxiliary male power connector for Yamaha MT09 | eBay

USB Socket - £8.99: New 12V/24V USB Power Supply Port Motorbike Motorcycle Mobile Charger Socket | eBay

Plug

USB Socket

Side cover off, the plug is hidden way up inside

The plug actually already has a 'cover' on it which is just a female plug just like the one I bought but it has no terminals inside, so I guess you could just buy the terminals and rubber seals and use this but I found it easier to just by the whole plug.

Plug with the 'cover' off

Then I chopped the USB socket I bought as I figured I wouldn't need the fuse that it came with and then started routing the cable. Here it is loosely resting under my dash:

Cable routing:

Once the cable was routed and trimmed to length I installed my new plug:

Then took my dash off and drill 2 small holes for a cable tie on the dash mounting bracket, mounted the socket under the bracket and bolted the dash back on:

Then I plugged it in and reinstalled the side cover (no pic)

View from riding position:

View from the side:

View from riding position with a USB and my key plugged in:

View from the side with a USB and my key both plugged in:

The USB socket only has power when the ignition is on. I've also tested to see if this causes a drain on the battery at all when the ignition is off and it does not. From what I can see the bike draw 4mA from the bike with the ignition off which I guess is to keep the dash's memory alive, this figure does not change when plug/unplug the USb socket in to the bikes auxiliary power plug.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
God dammit the SatNav I've ordered does not take power from its USB, so I'm going to have to pull the USB socket off the bike and use the plug I bought and attach it to the SatNavs power lead. Ah well, no damage done and it'll give me an excuse to piss around in the garage with the bike.

So stay tuned for an "I installed a TomTom SatNav to the factory auxiliary power connection" post to go along with this one.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Tried this some months back, i have cig socket (yamy one), direct to battery.. I had an old TomTom XL which was great, if i used the usb adapter in the cig socket to run it, it would not charge it, so would soon run out of juice... If i run off the proper cig style adapter it ran without issue as it could draw the needed 2.1 amp.. The usb adapter only put through 2 Amp, same as the fitted ignition aux..... Therefore, not enough juice to do the job.. However, you can buy a usb adapter which will allow 2.1amp.. So technically it will work if wired direct to battery..

I will be using my Aux to run a gopro battery illiminator, the spec shows 5v and 2amp, which the aux allows.. Will be fitting tomorrow, and testing Sunday or Monday

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm hoping to wire the TomTom direct to the bikes auxiliary plug with no USB adapters or anything.

Sent from my iPhone 

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm hoping to wire the TomTom direct to the bikes auxiliary plug with no USB adapters or anything.

Sent from my iPhone [/QUOTE

Hi mate, according to some website, one being Ultimate Addons, it only needs 2 amp, have a look at this, it regulates the amps to when links direct to battery... So that aux socket should be enough...

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/...bles_chargers/2_Amp_Waterproof_Hardwire_Cable
Thanks mate! Do we know what the auxiliary plug definitely puts out then? 2.0amps?

RipGroove

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone [/QUOTE

Hi mate, according to some website, one being Ultimate Addons, it only needs 2 amp, have a look at this, it regulates the amps to when links direct to battery... So that aux socket should be enough...

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/...bles_chargers/2_Amp_Waterproof_Hardwire_Cable
So that hard wire kit is for bikes that don't have a built in auxiliary plug?

Casey

Reaction score
Didn't you get the 400 then? My rider 400 charges from the USB port but I just ran the power lead straight to the battery. Bit of a pain tbh as I have to unplug it when I fill up just in case it drains the battery.

image.jpg

As for trying to get the key in the ignition :mad:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Didn't you get the 400 then? My rider 400 charges from the USB port but I just ran the power lead straight to the battery. Bit of a pain tbh as I have to unplug it when I fill up just in case it drains the battery.

View attachment 4117

As for trying to get the key in the ignition :mad:
Yeah I did get the 400, you'll like how i mounted it, I'll post some photos when I get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone 

Casey

Reaction score
Cheers mate, I've been looking for a different bracket as the standard one has too many pieces to it.
How did you end up wiring yours?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Cheers mate, I've been looking for a different bracket as the standard one has too many pieces to it.
How did you end up wiring yours?
I'm pretty sure I just wore this to the red and black wires on the SatNav's power lead and plugged it in to the auxiliary plug on the bike. No need to disconnect when not in use as the power goes on and off with the ignition.

I'm away from home this week but will post details of how I mounted the SatNav at the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone 

Reaction score
Just fitted this and not working, two wires can't go wrong and nothing, well pissed off,will have to start checking the usb cable as power at the bike side.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Just fitted this and not working, two wires can't go wrong and nothing, well pissed off,will have to start checking the usb cable as power at the bike side.
Check EVERY fuse on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
If the bikes auxiliary socket is giving power then the USB cable is no good, send it back.

Sent from my iPhone 

hibbert

Reaction score
fantastic, thanks for putting the time and effort into this!

I'm desperate to install a usb also, but im not very good with wiring, and i also cant seem to find another 'MT090-2 Auxiliary male power connector' on ebay, as yours is sold out/ended now. Can anyone help?
Thanks