Is this a good trade in price from 2015 09. to 2016 09 tracer

davie

Reaction score
Hi, bought my 09 ABS brand new March last year.
I am happy with bike, but tbh , I had not long had it when I started wondering if I should have went for the tracer as it had a few things different on it that I quite liked the look of.
I saw a 2016 09 tracer on the website of my local Yamaha dealer, so I nipped in for a look.
He said my bike is worth £4700 to £5000, but he would give me £5300 for mine.
He said £1700 to swap, but the tracer was £6850 on their site so it would be £1550 for me to swap my 20 month bike for an almost new tracer.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi Davie the answer is simple:
If you like solo riding your MT-09 is the best option, faster, quicker and more fun.
If you used to carry a pilion and looking for dual-riding on road "explorer" then Tracer is your bike.
Take care that except the extra money if you ride and find the Tracer boring then you will regret it.
So you may should do a test ride of a Tracer and go on if you like it and cover your needs.
In my case, i would change my bike for a Tracer only for the same value of money... but the more you need the bike the more money you are available to spend off course.:cool:

davie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I will not be carrying a pillion as the wife does not like bikes and there is no chance that she will go on the back.
I will of course take it for a test run first if I decide to take it any further.
I heard that the tracer is de-tuned a little but is it now boring?, as the 09 certainly is not.
I was asking the guys on here if the figures were good, as I am seeing 2nd hand 2015 Tracers for £7000 and 2015 09ABS`s for £5500 with loads of extras on it.

You were also saying that you would only go for a straight swap with no cash involved, but the tracer is £1000 more than the 09 to start with and the demo bike I am looking at is also 1 year younger. The only way for a straight swap would be if you traded in a newer 09 for and older 09 Tracer

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
As far as dealers go I don't think it's a bad deal, regards the tracer being boring well I don't think it is,I came from a sports bike to the tracer and I am very happy with the performance.

davie

Reaction score
There is no way the Tracer is boring!!
I was referring to mtorcycleboy saying that if i find it boring then I will regret it.
I cannot see how it can be tbh as it is basically an mt09 with fairings on.

Anyways, I am night shift weekend so will have a think about it, maybe demo it on Tuesday and if I like it, put in a cheeky £1200 plus my bike offer.

Oh, and maybe inform my lovely wife

John Barlow

Reaction score
Yep I understood that, I honestly think you will like it, especially if you get the ecu flashed as I did...awesome!! ��

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
So, as you don't carry a pilion there is no need to change it..
MT-09 is at least 20kg lighter than the Tracer and that means a lot to some when some other couldn't (under)stand it.
If a rider get used the MT-09 then he realizes that Tracer is some kind of "flat" when openning the throtle. Also it doesn't have the light feeling of MT-09 in riding.
People who haven't ride the MT-09 but only the Tracer, they cannot feel what i'm talking about.
Off course Tracer seems fast to a rider who is becoming from Hondas but could not wheelie so easy as its naked version mainly because is heavier especially at front.
For me that change is a waste of time and money.
And the price is hyper-estimated as a member in here (Bikegirl400) is selling her MT-09 Tracer for 5.800 pounds.
Here you are: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer inc Akrapovic | eBay
Allthough go on if you like to spend money for some plastics.
P.S. MT-09 Tracer is fantastic bike in comparison with the heavy and hangry for fuel Triumph Tiger 1050, but it is not as light and easy for shorter riders naked MT-09.

Last edited:

davie

Reaction score
So, as you don't carry a pilion there is no need to change it..
MT-09 is at least 20kg lighter than the Tracer and that means a lot to some when some other couldn't (under)stand it.
If a rider get used the MT-09 then he realizes that Tracer is some kind of "flat" when openning the throtle. Also it doesn't have the light feeling of MT-09 in riding.
People who haven't ride the MT-09 but only the Tracer, they cannot feel what i'm talking about.
Off course Tracer seems fast to a rider who is becoming from Hondas but could not wheelie so easy as its naked version mainly because is heavier especially at front.
For me that change is a waste of time and money.
And the price is hyper-estimated as a member in here (Bikegirl400) is selling her MT-09 Tracer for 5.800 pounds.
Here you are: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer inc Akrapovic | eBay
Allthough go on if you like to spend money for some plastics.
P.S. MT-09 Tracer is fantastic bike in comparison with the heavy and hangry for fuel Triumph Tiger 1050, but it is not as light and easy for shorter riders naked MT-09.
ok thanks for your instructions, advice and permission

your instruction to not buy it, simply because I do not carry a pillion
your advice that, in your opinion the tracer is kind of flat compared to the mt-09, and
your permission to " go on if you like to spend money for some plastics"

also the ebay example is £1000 cheaper, but 1 year older and has 12,000 miles more.

stevecbr

Reaction score
The deal doesnt sound to bad at all.
Basically you are having to fork out £1550 for a bike thats £1000 more than the MT new, plus its newer with less miles.
If you like it I would get it at that deal.
If your not in a rush and want to save money, you could sell yours private and buy the tracer private, but that may take months, you'll have hassle with timewasters, and the tracer will have no warrenty. The fast, safe and easy way is to trade with your dealer, and accept you'll pay extra for it.

davie

Reaction score
The deal doesnt sound to bad at all.
Basically you are having to fork out £1550 for a bike thats £1000 more than the MT new, plus its newer with less miles.
If you like it I would get it at that deal.
If your not in a rush and want to save money, you could sell yours private and buy the tracer private, but that may take months, you'll have hassle with timewasters, and the tracer will have no warrenty. The fast, safe and easy way is to trade with your dealer, and accept you'll pay extra for it.
I finally had a demo of bike today, I really liked the way the I felt when sitting on the bike, ie when stopped at lights etc and I felt that the sitting position on bike when riding was comfortable.
The one thing I did not like, was the wind that I felt when doing a mere 60 mph, I can only describe it as turbulence on either side of my helmet. I would imagine it would be lot worse at 80 plus.

Stripy

Reaction score
Davie, go for the Tracer, and swap the screen to a Sports screen like mine - it will be such a difference to the better, and the rides will be so enjoyable.
I have done that exactly as you now are going through, and so pleased.
Had the bike for 10 days now, and just can't wait getting out riding, been out every single day, so first service is getting nearby!

davie

Reaction score
Davie, go for the Tracer, and swap the screen to a Sports screen like mine - it will be such a difference to the better, and the rides will be so enjoyable.
I have done that exactly as you now are going through, and so pleased.
Had the bike for 10 days now, and just can't wait getting out riding, been out every single day, so first service is getting nearby!
What screen did you go for and what bike did you come from?.

I am still going to have a think about it, but tbh I was hoping that the demo ride would make me want to buy it instantly, as my demo of the mt09 did last year. maybe it was because the Tracer is really just my bike but is set up for touring, I don`t know

I think that buying a sports screen would defeat the purpose of getting a sports tourer with all the protection on, more upright seating and the bigger tank etc

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi Davie,

I came from an MT-09.
The screen i went for, is this

On the test ride, i could feel the buffeting, and tried to adjust up and down. Depending on your height, you may or may not have the problem. I sorted mine by having a small screen, as i didn't want to go for the shower screen option :)
I loved the Tracer instantly, and from first moment the leg where swung over, i just felt even more "home" - i was swept away by the MT, now the Tracer have done the same thing again. Good thing was, that the dealer swapped my akra over FOC, that helped sweetening my deal significantly.