It's happened again!

derek28862

Reaction score
no trouble with the race line akrapovič on ground clearance

Last edited by a moderator:

relz

Reaction score
no trouble with the race line akrapovič on ground clearance
I've managed to scrape the bottom of the headers when going down from the footpath (pavement) to the road. I always try to do it very gently, without any weight on the bike, but there is such little clearance that sometimes it's virtually unavoidable.
They could have made those headers a bit closer to the engine, like the OEM was.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well Yamaha don't care. Looks I'll either have to live with it all dented and scratched or be out of pocket replacing it myself [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone 

Swagger

Reaction score
You'll be able to file and polish some of that down. It'll never look great but it'll take your eye off of it. Morale of this episode ... don't ride over speed/safety bumps and don't run it off or up kerbs.

RipGroove

Reaction score
You'll be able to file and polish some of that down. It'll never look great but it'll take your eye off of it. Morale of this episode ... don't ride over speed/safety bumps and don't run it off or up kerbs.
I've never taken it up or off a curb and the speed hump is about 4" high... Any bike should be able to clear that at 5mph.

Sent from my iPhone 

Reaction score
I am having one fitted tomorrow and i am having second thoughts after reading this :(.
Has this happened to a lot of people with the titanium Akrapovic.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
... I've never taken it up or off a curb ...
No you haven't but Relz has ... and he's caught it.

... and the speed hump is about 4" high... Any bike should be able to clear that at 5mph ...
You're right ... the emphasis being on 'should'! It's a reminder for me really to avoid speed bumps and kerbs ... I generally do but I'll be especially careful with this bike. My suspension is well sorted so fingers crossed I should be fine even with a few unavoidable incidents.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well this particular speed hump is unavoidable as its at the entrance to my works car park, I rode over it as slow as I could, and I'm a trials rider so can ride a bike very slow without losing balance.

Sent from my iPhone 

Clint Kingston

Reaction score
I'm 120kg in gear my TI Akra is fine, bumpy roads, I removed the feelers from the pegs and still scrape the pegs, never scrapped the exhaust.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm 120kg in gear my TI Akra is fine, bumpy roads, I removed the feelers from the pegs and still scrape the pegs, never scrapped the exhaust.
Well something is wrong with mine then. I'm going to put the stock exhaust back in and compare ground clearance measurements between that and my Akrapovic.

Sent from my iPhone 

pipski99

Reaction score
Well something is wrong with mine then. I'm going to put the stock exhaust back in and compare ground clearance measurements between that and my Akrapovic.

Sent from my iPhone 
Looking forward to the results of that measurement. I've just got 2 studs, 2 nuts and 3 gaskets from the dealer and about to fit the system his weekend. The orIginal system is off and in storage already but I wish I'd taken the measurements before removing it.

pipski99

Reaction score
I was hoping to hear from somebody not having problems with clearance on the ttanium system before fitting mine. Thanks.

Mark Arnold Evered

Reaction score
I've loaded my bike up to an estimated 200kg odd, pillion and a tent. Pegs get down quite easily with this weight on, but exhaust has never been touched. Bike happily goes down (and sometimes up) kerbs and over speed bumps regularly, the kerb into my favourite practice carpark is 5-6 inch. The bike does feel super low and wallowy on the long dips at high speed but as of yet no grounding. My suspension is set pretty stiff and highly damped for cornering ability.

Your post has made me worry a fair bit, but it makes me wonder, are you forks any further through the yoke than standard, or do you have particularly wide/flat tyres? OR is it a possibility the suspension softens over time and causes this? I'm at 2800 miles currently and it has certainly softened up a bit :eek:

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've loaded my bike up to an estimated 200kg odd, pillion and a tent. Pegs get down quite easily with this weight on, but exhaust has never been touched. Bike happily goes down (and sometimes up) kerbs and over speed bumps regularly, the kerb into my favourite practice carpark is 5-6 inch. The bike does feel super low and wallowy on the long dips at high speed but as of yet no grounding. My suspension is set pretty stiff and highly damped for cornering ability.

Your post has made me worry a fair bit, but it makes me wonder, are you forks any further through the yoke than standard, or do you have particularly wide/flat tyres? OR is it a possibility the suspension softens over time and causes this? I'm at 2800 miles currently and it has certainly softened up a bit :eek:
I have Pilot Road 4 tyres at 36psi, my fork tubes are where they should be and my bike has done 4000 miles I think.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
Got another reply from Yamaha today, again they just state that they cannot guarantee that owners bikes will not ground out [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone 

Mark Arnold Evered

Reaction score
Good god that's terrible. Realistically they're saying fork out a fortune on new suspension or just live with it :O . Not impressed with what that grounding could do to the header studs/bolts.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Good god that's terrible. Realistically they're saying fork out a fortune on new suspension or just live with it :O . Not impressed with what that grounding could do to the header studs/bolts.
I know, they say because they've not had any reports of it happening to any other MT09's they are going to assume there is nothing wrong with mine.

Sent from my iPhone 

pipski99

Reaction score
Just took mine out for an hour after fitting the exhaust and I deliberately aimed for a few speed bumps and..... Nothing, no catching, scraping, grounding out, nothing.

I'm pleased as if it had damaged the Akra in any way I'd have been gutted for trying it on the first outing since I fitted it.

I have the stock suspension still and it is almost fully stiffened up front and rear, just backed out a couple of clicks on the rear and a couple of threads on the front.

I know this isn't any help to you but I'm glad mine is clearing as it should.