Japanese vs German vs US Motorcyles Whats your Favorite

T

tango

When it comes to the world of motorcycles what are the main differences between Japanese-made (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki), German-made (BMW) and US-made? Which is better? What is your favorite and why?

flying circus

Reaction score
tango you forgot triumph and Norton, doing quite nicely esp when you consider that triumph only make bikes above 500cc, the bulk of Japanese bike sales are mopeds and scooters. also a host of Italian firms are making great bikes.
I can not walk past any bike without it having a look I love them all, but what is my favourite and why? I find a bike that was made to be ridden were I live works best so a beemer is made to used in northern Europe shaft drive, heated grips fairing protection ect. the Yamaha rd 350lc was made for Europe and it worked well they could not make enough of them for us. like everyone else I have only seen pictures of the new mt 09 but it looks like it could do a job for me were I live.
the nightmare is the wrong bike in the wrong place.....just had 1000 mile trip round Scotland 6 bikes my r1200gs also a crosstourer, fazer1000,fz800,zx6 one of the group turned up on a Kawasaki 1500 cruiser wrong bike, wrong place, wrong time came off on our rubbish roads multiple fractures and laid up in hospital...bike was made for California I think.

T

tango

Good point Circus. I totally forgot UK bikes.... Triumph has some great bikes!

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sticking with Japanese. No real reasons, just what I am comfy with and have seen the proven reliability first hand.

strata12123

Reaction score
I also have to say Japanese. Their design and craftsmanship are just topnotch.

Twozup

Reaction score
When it comes to the world of motorcycles what are the main differences between Japanese-made (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki), German-made (BMW) and US-made? Which is better? What is your favorite and why?
That's like asking what your favourite song or album is.

Changes with where you are in your life.

Always lusted after Italian bikes in the 90s while I was running around on jap bikes. Then I lusted after German bikes in the naughties. Now I'm lusting after old British iron from 20s and 30s.

Who knows what next....

And my MT of course.

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

flydnb

Reaction score
I love yamahas as my favourite jap brand followed by Honda for bikes like the indestructible c90 and the cb900 eurostyle, but I also have a great fondness for Spanish bikes especially bultacos and ossas from the 70s, loved the pursing motox bikes and the 250 bultaco metralla gts in yellow, I don't really like bmws and the modern ones are not as well built as the pre 1990 bikes.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I've only ever owned a Yamaha as they've never let me down, the MT is my ninth!

Sent from Scott's iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulG

Reaction score
That's like asking what your favourite song or album is.

Changes with where you are in your life.

Always lusted after Italian bikes in the 90s while I was running around on jap bikes. Then I lusted after German bikes in the naughties. Now I'm lusting after old British iron from 20s and 30s.

Who knows what next....

And my MT of course.

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
With the obvious exception of the MT it seems to be getting worse.Do you think you might need to get a check up for early onset Alzheimers disease?

Stripy

Reaction score
The past 5 years, I've been over a few hill tops with regards to bikes.

Japanese, never owned a Honda. My partner have one, and that's been running for 6 years without a single problem in 36k miles.
I've had a GSX R750, no probs, comfy for a sports bike.
Then got Aprilia Dorsoduro ABS, the first in UK. ABS didn't work, rude dealers, exhaust fell apart on its 2 birthday.
Shifted to Triumph STR. Lovely colour and design. Fuggin rubbish quality, horrendous dealer service, slow parts.
Then to the dream bike, Ducati Multistrada 1200. Concern about Italian quality. Concerns came true. Otter shite quality, for a massive expensive brand, that is build for low mileage and only good weather. Ideal for UK, where it never rains, or did I get something wrong here?
Expensive finance options, dealers comments, lack of interest after you've put your signature is shocking for such a brand.

Back to Japanese for trust, reliability and best customer experience ever. Been doing a lot of race events back in DK, and quite fancied to do more with Yamaha, and with this MT, I feel I've hit the jackpot.
Never touched a German bike, unlikely I will, either ,as I don't fancy their style/design.

flydnb

Reaction score
The past 5 years, I've been over a few hill tops with regards to bikes.

Japanese, never owned a Honda. My partner have one, and that's been running for 6 years without a single problem in 36k miles.
I've had a GSX R750, no probs, comfy for a sports bike.
Then got Aprilia Dorsoduro ABS, the first in UK. ABS didn't work, rude dealers, exhaust fell apart on its 2 birthday.
Shifted to Triumph STR. Lovely colour and design. Fuggin rubbish quality, horrendous dealer service, slow parts.
Then to the dream bike, Ducati Multistrada 1200. Concern about Italian quality. Concerns came true. Otter shite quality, for a massive expensive brand, that is build for low mileage and only good weather. Ideal for UK, where it never rains, or did I get something wrong here?
Expensive finance options, dealers comments, lack of interest after you've put your signature is shocking for such a brand.

Back to Japanese for trust, reliability and best customer experience ever. Been doing a lot of race events back in DK, and quite fancied to do more with Yamaha, and with this MT, I feel I've hit the jackpot.
Never touched a German bike, unlikely I will, either ,as I don't fancy their style/design.

what Honda has your boyfriend got ?