Jury Still Out - Only 400 Miles

Phaedrus

Reaction score
I just got a new tracer and did 400 miles over the week. Here are my first impressions.

As background, I'm 56 years old, riding +40 years all kind of bikes, but leaning towards trailies. Last bike was a 650 V-Strom. With the Tracer, I was attracted by the 3 cylinder engine, low weight, and the apparent do it all capability. I don't own a car, so the bike has to do double as transportation and travelling toy. By the way, I don't care for big HP's, wheelies or track days.

The first 400 miles were city errands and a trip between Madrid and Barcelona. The positive aspects of the experience so far are centered around the engine ( mid range and sound) , quick handling ( very flickable) and brakes. I guess the low weight has a + impact on the above points. The negatives are the torture seat ( should go to the Inquisition Museum), the harsh suspension and the gurgle of the engine at ~ 3,000-3,500 rpm, almostt like a two-stroke. Somewhat irrelevant for me is the "transformer" look, edgy now, but I bet it'd look funny 5 years from now.

So far the jury is still out if this girl is a keeper. Let's see:
The engine is great at mid-range an can only inmagine what is like over 6,000 rpm once the break-in is completed. At lower rpm the engine is awful and it miss fires like a two stroke, probably due to the fueling issues as wells as not being designed for such low rpm, my mistake. Around town I keep it in mode B, which is more bearable. I guess I'm spoiled by the sweet 650 V-Strom. Idem for the suspension, too harsh for me, which at 78 kgs am probably as average as they come. About the seat enough has been said, and without a really suitable replacement, let's just pray. By the way, I tried an air hawk air cushion but it did not help. The screen was not a biggy for me, as my attention was focused on avoiding a monkey butt. The low weight is a refreshing bonus in this age where 250kg is starting point for most bikes. It feels as light as the V-Strom. The price is great for what is offers, but is it? After adding suspension and fueling mods, plus a decent seat and a new screen maybe not so great after all. Or perhaps I should be looking at it as a diamond in the making. But "Diamonds are forever" and I do not see this girl competing for the "gracefully age" prize like a R90S....

The plan is to allow time and familiarity to give this relation a fair opportunity. I'm too old for a one night stand. So, my dear forum mates, help me out, what is it I'm missing? Perhaps I was just happy with old faithful Wee.

bobh

Reaction score
I can't do a direct comparison, as I've got the vanilla MT-09, not the Tracer, and I've never had a V-strom, only a SV650S.

Obviously it depends on what you're aiming to do with the bike, but for me there's no comparison.

You've already mentioned the brakes (the Suzuki ones are quite frankly awful, at least until you fit HH pads).

The Yamaha's handling on UK roads is way better - the Suzuki would tie itself in knots on a bumpy bend - but then as you've said, you pay a penalty in terms of comfort. Unless you want to pay for Ohlins etc. that's pretty much as good as it gets.

But it's really the engine that lights my fire - overtakes that would be marginal on the Suzuki are a doddle on the MT. It's almost (but not quite) as good in that department as my old and much-missed RSV1000.

I don't have a problem with the seat - I can happily ride for a tankful without a break (bladder permitting, of course!) Though I'm maybe 5 Kg heavier than you.

Oh, and you've got another 15+ years to catch up with me.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I thought the same as you regarding the seat but it's either getting softer or i am getting used to it,i don't have an issue with the fueling its very similar to most new modern injection bikes i just keep it in the middle mode which I can't remember what its called,regards suspension its not great but its better comfort wise than my last 2 triumphs have been,street triplrR 09 and 2014 daytona 675 which were both silly rock hard suspension,it cost me £1150 to get the daytonas suspension good for road riding,what ever bike you buy these days maybe with the exception of ktm has cheap shite suspension,to put the tracer right would cost aroud £1000, ive been quoted £600 front reactive suspension in york who is very good and £400 for a wilbers rear shock,i know its alot of money but it makes a big difference to ride quality,if you spent the £1000 it would be a keeper.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I did more than 100.000km on my previous DL650V-Strom and i find your statement very very rare...
The lower rpm are full of torque in MT-09 engines.
Maybe the fuel injection bodies of your bike need correct adjustment/synchronization, this must happened at 1st service according manual.
Then, you can also change the air filter for a high-flow which also helps the engine breath better.
About 3K-5K rpm "rattling" noise....check the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT)..
There is no comparison at all about the performance of V-twin 650 and inline triple 850.
Call your dealer's mechanic.

Phaedrus

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback as they provide some practical tips as well as different angles on how to view my issues with the bike.
I'd post new developments along the way.

flydnb

Reaction score
To be really honest all the fun on the cp3 engine is really just above the 6k rev limit , from what your needs are i would say you have bought the wrong bike , in your position i would have looked at something like a versys 650 , cheap and less sporty but capable enough for most situations .

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Before you spend money on suspension, just spend some time setting it up, adjusting the static sag to your weight will show a good improvement to start, then you get start playing with the damper settings, I spend about 5 hours on my Tracer set up, and now it is pretty good. Although not quite as good as the Maxton set up on my other 09.
Maybe it is just me, but I have standard seats on both. and quite often do 200 mile trips without any comfort issues.

Sven

Reaction score
Hi, i also bought the tracer after owning a V-strom 650 for the last 8 years (2, an old & a new model). So i can see where your comments are coming from.
Initially i also thought that the suspension was hard, but think this is because the v-strom is really quite soft. I think it takes a bit of getting used to but the Tracer will out handle the v-strom no problem. I'm going to give it a bit of time before i start changing settings.
The seat i don't think is bad, probably not as good as the v-strom. I haven't done a long run on it yet - first big run is in a few week when i go to IOM. I did do runs of 700 & 800 miles in a day on the strom & could still walk at the end - not sure this will be possibly on the Tracer.
But the engine is in a different league. I wanted more power for overtakes, as with the strom you had to plan them more & probably drop 2 gears. On the Tracer the powers just there (& i'm still running mine in - can't wait to use all the revs!).
For me i'm just giving it time before i change too much. I thought they were quite similar bikes but actually they're different. I like that because i needed a change!

Shaun64

Reaction score
I love my tracer. 10300 miles in. Just over 8 months of ownership amd the only downside is 5 warrenty claims ( and 3 to come) and the anchors I bought it from. ( p&h in Surrey can p*ss off
What warranty claims you had?.