K&N air filter

Shaun64

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a K&N air filter to there tracer?ive been fitting these for a few years now to bikes that I planned on keeping a few years,I haven't found any great improvements in power but mpg per tank is up abit plus once you bought it £45 ish that's it and I bet Yamaha paper ones are £25,so as anyone fitted one and the bike now runs worse? Or is all well?.

Hexme

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a K&N air filter to there tracer?ive been fitting these for a few years now to bikes that I planned on keeping a few years,I haven't found any great improvements in power but mpg per tank is up abit plus once you bought it £45 ish that's it and I bet Yamaha paper ones are £25,so as anyone fitted one and the bike now runs worse? Or is all well?.
Watching this thread with interest Shaun.

chump

Reaction score
Waste of money. Remove the foam lump from the air intake. Free extra airflow.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Waste of money. Remove the foam lump from the air intake. Free extra airflow.
I agree chump if it's just extra air flow you are after but the air filter will still need changing every 2 year of 24.000 miles,I've just looked on eBay a genuine Yamaha air filter is £30 with post a K&N is £45 with post and it will last the bike out,when I've had K&N filters fitted I tend to clean them once a year every 6-8000 miles.

Reaction score
Got one fitted to mine, was done by previous owner.

Can't say wether it makes the bike any faster/more responsive as i've not had a go on a non-K&N MT, but every bit of my intuition says the difference it makes will be....

Bugger all.

A good, clean standard air filter will work better than a K&N thats been badly maintained, and if it hadn't been on already i wouldn't have bought one. I'd have spent the cash on a few tankfulls instead and just enjoyed the ride.
but like go-faster stripes, titanium knee sliders and colour co-ordinated bling, if it makes you happy and gives you a smile when riding, go for it :)