Kev's "Anti throttle surge mod"!

kevxtx

Reaction score
G'day Kev,

I have a quick question on how this thing works. Not asking for trade secrets but before I attach something to my bike to trick the computer I like to know how it works.

Is it a static adjustment to the output of the O2 or is it a dynamic one which adjusts the offset based on the sensor output?

Reece, of KTM 990 SMR fame said to say hello by the way. He basically told me that if you're selling something to improve the 09 I must buy it lol :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have not heard from Reece for a while now, does he still have his 990SMR, I did a bit of work on it for him.

To answer your question the O2 controller adjusts the offset based of the sensor output constantly, the OEM O2 sensor generates it own voltage signal from the unburnt oxygen, this voltage signal is a square wave voltage signal, the voltage signal runs between Zero & 1 volt, my controller mimics the real live square wave signal from the O2 sensor & sends a new leaner voltage square wave signal to the ECU, the ECU recognises this corrected input signal from the controller which is offset slightly leaner than the actual A/F ratio in the pipe & in turn the ECU richens up the closed loop A/F ratio, the ECU rechecks the closed loop A/F ratio every time the motor fires & is constantly changing the closed loop A/F ratio to it's input trim table target values of 14.7:1 this is where my controller tricks the ECU into thinking the A/F ratio in the pipe is 14.7:1 but in real life the exhaust A/F ratio is approx. 13.6:1.

The ECU samples the A/F ratio every time a piston fires so the OEM sensor is constantly sending a different voltage signal in a square wave form to the O2 controller & the controller is adjusting to offset constantly trying to keep the A/F ratio to approx. 13.6:1 in the pipe. To see & measure the OEM O2 sensor input voltage to the O2 controller & to see & measure the out put to the ECU from the O2 controller I used an oscilloscope, channel A on the O2 sensor signal wire & channel B out of the controller signal wire, refer to link to see the actual A/F ratio signal changes, it the closed loop A/F ratio was static the A/F ratio signal in the closed loop would be a straight line. http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/for...evs-anti-throttle-surge-mod-25.html#post28943

Last edited:

Thunder Child

Reaction score
Yeah he's still riding the 990 every day! I love the thing, its a complete beast. He's offered me a ride but we've not managed to tee it up so far. He spoke extremely highly of you and your mods. I think the terms Jedi/Yoda was bandied about lol. I had a feeling you may have been the guy he'd mentioned ages ago doing some work on his bike so I checked and turned out you are.

Excellent explanation, thanks very much for that. Makes perfect sense too, I was a little worried it was a static offset but that clearly wouldn't work anyway given the ecu will try to compensate with STFT/LTFT and it would just keep getting further and further away from ideal.

Well, I'm very keen to buy one of your black boxes of winning. Just need to subtly move some money around in the back channels away from the finance boss ;)

I'm Brisbane local as well. So I'm happy to collect whenever is convenient or post is okay as well if you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kevxtx

Reaction score
PM me when you are ready, pop around to my house if you want & I will fit one for you to try.

sigtrm

Reaction score
(...) signal is a square wave voltage signal, the voltage signal runs between Zero & 1 volt, my controller mimics the real live square wave signal from the O2 sensor & sends a new leaner voltage(...)
kev that mod looks sounds very good, and I think I will order one, depending on shipping costs to Poland;-)

BUT!
Something does not compute for me, how analog sensor is producing square wave, I think you meant sine wave? I do not know the details of this sensors but from what you wrote I assume these are some analog sensors with 0..1000mV signal, if that is the case one could use some LM{somenumbers} regulator to make oem O2 sensor do its bidding,;-) in theory I mean.

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
If we really get into the technical side of the sensor voltage wave evaluation I would have to say you are correct, it is not a perfect square wave form signal.

The O2 sensor generates it's own voltage wave forms when we start to see a O2 sensor generated voltage it spikes up, the voltage (as an example 0.65v) is our peak start voltage it will hold approx voltages 0.65, 068, 0,64, 0,62,0,65 as an example & so on then the voltage drops off according the unburnt oxygen in the pipe, the threshold voltage of the ECU is 0.55v on my MT-09

Here is a good example of a narrow band O2 sensor wave forum voltage signal, watch from 2 min 14 sec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMGnvtgi8w

Last edited:

sigtrm

Reaction score
If we really get into the technical side of the sensor voltage wave evaluation I would have to say you are correct, it is not a perfect square wave form signal.

The O2 sensor generates it's own voltage wave forms when we start to see a O2 sensor generated voltage it spikes up, the voltage (as an example 0.65v) is our peak start voltage it will hold approx voltages 0.65, 068, 0,64, 0,62,0,65 as an example & so on then the voltage drops off according the unburnt oxygen in the pipe, the threshold voltage of the ECU is 0.55v on my MT-09

Here is a good example of a narrow band O2 sensor wave forum voltage signal, watch from 2 min 14 sec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMGnvtgi8w
Yeah, I can sleep now. ;-)
Can you share general approach you took for processing this signal?
I promise I won't make a batch of million units in PRC, I am just curious engineer;-)
Mail me if you do not want to share in public;-) email: lukasz (/-\ +) ieee.org.

kevxtx

Reaction score
Yeah, I can sleep now. ;-)
Can you share general approach you took for processing this signal?
I promise I won't make a batch of million units in PRC, I am just curious engineer;-)
Mail me if you do not want to share in public;-) email: lukasz (/-\ +) ieee.org.
I wish I had $1.00 for every person who has asked me that question, it took me a long time to work this problem out controlling the O2 sensor voltage signal & many hours of Dyno time, I have spent many $ of my own money to perfect the final product, I have already worked a way out of controlling a wide band O2 voltage signal for when they are fitted to motorcycles one day.

My mod is not a simulator it actually changes the live voltage signal from the O2 sensor & will constantly alter the output voltage according to input voltage, if you send a constant wave voltage signal to the ECU after a few firing cycles it recognises this as a faulty signal & will set the A/F ratio to around 12:1. I have sent years perfecting this mod & every motorcycle manufacture model has a different setup within the O2 controller which I measure on the Dyno under light Dyno brake loads to simulate road conditions for the closed loop.

Last edited:

Jess Wright

Reaction score
Fitted mine this afternoon and it's great thanks Kev . Can't wait for the air filter and full system to turn up now .

sigtrm

Reaction score
I wish I had $1.00 for every person who has asked me that question, it took me a long time to work this problem out controlling the O2 sensor voltage signal & many hours of Dyno time, I have spent many $ of my own money to perfect the final product, I have already worked a way out of controlling a wide band O2 voltage signal for when they are fitted to motorcycles one day.

My mod is not a simulator it actually changes the live voltage signal from the O2 sensor & will constantly alter the output voltage according to input voltage, if you send a constant wave voltage signal to the ECU after a few firing cycles it recognises this as a faulty signal & will set the A/F ratio to around 12:1. I have sent years perfecting this mod & every motorcycle manufacture model has a different setup within the O2 controller which I measure on the Dyno under light Dyno brake loads to simulate road conditions for the closed loop.
I totally understand, and gratz that you achieved such a great results judging by the people opinions.
But... ;-) ok I will try to figure out by myself some day maybe. First what comes to my mind is some amp like LM324.... It have to wait for warmer times my oscilloscope doesn't like winter temperatures. ;-)

I still want to order, do you know shipping costs to Poland? Can I buy outside of eBay? I could PayPal you and then you would send it to me?

One more, won't it shorten engines life?

marksim

Reaction score
Feck me Sigtrm
be a devil and just buy it.
you wont be dissapointed LOL

kevxtx

Reaction score
I totally understand, and gratz that you achieved such a great results judging by the people opinions.
But... ;-) ok I will try to figure out by myself some day maybe. First what comes to my mind is some amp like LM324.... It have to wait for warmer times my oscilloscope doesn't like winter temperatures. ;-)

I still want to order, do you know shipping costs to Poland? Can I buy outside of eBay? I could PayPal you and then you would send it to me?

One more, won't it shorten engines life?
I have been making these mods for many years now & have never had any problems, my local Yamaha dealer endorse these O2 controller for KTM & Yamaha, I am a qualified motorcycle mechanic with over 3 decades of experience, every mod is Dyno tested so I know 100% what the O2 controllers are doing. I am back on the Dyno in an hrs time testing new mods for the 09 to see the real gains & losses, I never guess I like to see, measure & calculate the real facts & the Dyno is my choice of tool in most cases.

I am not say you are one of these guys, but in the past I used to share all my mods & have had a few forum guys mass produce my adjustable fuel injection mods for the XT660's mods for their own self gain selling them on EBay & a few local selling plat forums, I shared how to make the mods on the forums so guys who had the skill could build their own not for guys to take all my ideas & turn it into a business for them selves, they spoilt it for everyone as I keep the info close to hand.

With the O2 controller mod I keep pricing reasonable so 99% of rider can afford one if they feel they require the mod, I don't think you will find a tuner out there that would ever say if you not happy with the mod bring it back & I will refund you your money.

sigtrm

Reaction score
I have been making these mods for many years now & have never had any problems, my local Yamaha dealer endorse these O2 controller for KTM & Yamaha, I am a qualified motorcycle mechanic with over 3 decades of experience, every mod is Dyno tested so I know 100% what the O2 controllers are doing. I am back on the Dyno in an hrs time testing new mods for the 09 to see the real gains & losses, I never guess I like to see, measure & calculate the real facts & the Dyno is my choice of tool in most cases.

I am not say you are one of these guys, but in the past I used to share all my mods & have had a few forum guys mass produce my adjustable fuel injection mods for the XT660's mods for their own self gain selling them on EBay & a few local selling plat forums, I shared how to make the mods on the forums so guys who had the skill could build their own not for guys to take all my ideas & turn it into a business for them selves, they spoilt it for everyone as I keep the info close to hand.

With the O2 controller mod I keep pricing reasonable so 99% of rider can afford one if they feel they require the mod, I don't think you will find a tuner out there that would ever say if you not happy with the mod bring it back & I will refund you your money.
Kev,
As I wrote, I totally understand your effort and I admire that almost 100% feedback from people is positive, which is the best measure of quality of your design.

Still I did not get the answer about shipping to Poland.

Plus I am treating this as thought experiment, I meant I have a few ideas how to do that, beginning on LM324 opamp, through some specialized LM op precision amps ending on VHDL design for A2D2A chip for absolute control.
I am lazy bastard Kev, :)I will not even try any of this in reality. I am just thinking about that. And I do that loud and I do not expect anyone to comment on this.
To be precise, I respect your work, and for fun I have a challenge to try it on my own, and which will not happen bc I do not have time and I am lazy.

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
Give it a go you are an engineer, I worked out my O2 Controller 6 months before Dyno Jet brought theirs to market, here is a little show & tell of a competitors O2 controller I am sure you can work it out from here.

kevxtx

Reaction score
Yip & they work as designed in controlling the A/F ratio.