Kev's "Anti throttle surge mod"!

CT/

Reaction score
Just on a side note.. I've noticed that even though the weather has warmed up, with Kev's mod on the bike it takes a lot longer in traffic for the temperature to hit the fan trigger point which is a bonus.. Plus once moving again it seems to drop back quicker.
Got to be a good thing :)

Copycat73

Reaction score
well I`ve read this thread and I`m buying ... a bit mind numbing really... but the graphs print out looked nice ....take it is a buy and fit don`t fiddle with any thing else type of product .... so .. is there an up-to-date link for
e-bay uk as the earlier ones seem to have expired ... and how much is the price in GBP ?

Last edited:

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
well I`ve read this thread and I`m buying ... a bit mind numbing really... but the graphs print out looked nice ....take it is a buy and fit don`t fiddle with any thing else type of product .... so .. is there an up-to-date link for
e-bay uk as the earlier ones seem to have expired ... and how much is the price in GBP ?
Current link.... But have you considered having the Aftermarket ECU flash?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131536923584

kevxtx

Reaction score
Just search EBay for Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 MT09 FZ09 Tracer FJ09 FJ-09 O2 Controller

Last edited:

MT09 Kiwi

Reaction score
Just search EBay for Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 MT09 FZ09 Tracer FJ09 FJ-09 O2 Controller
Hi Kev, do you offer your reflash service to us poor cousins across the ditch, has anybody made any headway into unlocking the closed loop, cheers

kevxtx

Reaction score
I have been flashing the MT09 ECU's for sometime & have quite a few maps built on the Dyno with my own throttle maps & so on, I can re-flash the closed loop off on all models including the Tracer. I have been able to turn off the closed loop with one of my plug in mods with some trickery + a reflash for sometime now, but can now do it with just a reflash with no other hardware needed.

From the testing I have done with my closed loop turned off via re-flash on my bike & a few mates is a higher fuel consumption running the open loop all the time, we have no fine tune A/F ratio compensation for altitudes & no compensation for different fuel blends + would not do it when running a cat encase of fires & no A/F ratio trimming when on the cruise. All my maps are built with the closed loop Turned off on the Dyno so I can build a good open loop map then turn the closed loop back on & recommend one of my controller so we can still trim the A/F ratio in real time. I do not advertise I am doing mapping on this forum & am not promoting that either, all I am doing is responding to technical question, so please don't ask me any how much do I charge or questions like that the open forum.

Last edited:

Copycat73

Reaction score
Current link.... But have you considered having the Aftermarket ECU flash?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131536923584
my surging is on the lesser of the problem scale from what I`ve read here ... the bike has a standard oem. set -up and will remain so.. the genuine Yamaha dealer flash seems to work well ... its just those roundabouts particularly the mini ones also some slow urban traffic .. I suspect this mod will go a long way to negate this problem... if I go for an ECU flash it will involve a proper dyno mixture set - up so your talking £300+ ... but that's what my ZZR14 needs and that will come first ... I can stomach the price of this mod for now and see how it goes.... and thank you for the link .. I`ll add karma when I figure out how..

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
I would look at doing my throttle mod as well, this will help with those round abouts. I agree there is nothing like a custom map, I will be back on the Dyno this Saturday for a new custom map the 6th time this year.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
I think Kev means filing down the throttle cam to make it not so sharp on initial turning. Or get a G2 throttle tamer, that's what I run with alongside Kevs o2 controller and its all good!

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I am currently running the Richie/Simon flash, the G2 throttle tamer tube, and the Kev mod between my loom and O2 sensor, it's as good as it's possible to be for now I think. I did get rid of my Kev mod thinking the flash would smooth out the lower end surging on closed loop, still found it a bit surgey really so went back to using the Kev mod as well.

The issue that annoyed me the most was trying to hold a constant low road speed, say at 30 or 40 mph and finding the bike being unhappy and coughing and surging, the Kev mod certainly dulled that right down to the point that I am quite satisfied with that side of the bike's behaviour now.

The reflash that Richie and Simon offer turns A mode into something I could only describe as hyperdrive, the bike tries to lift in the first 4 gears and really shifts some, the rpm restrictions are also gone from 5th and 6th gears, I also had my AIS ( air injection system) shut off as the popping and banging whilst fun for a while with the Akra TI exhaust on got to be a bit of an annoyance really. The rad fan also comes on at a lower temperature, like many others have I felt it waited to long to cut in at times. The top speed of the bike ( if my neck could take it) is now around 164 mph ( real speed not indicated) apparently! up from the real speed of 128mph from the factory ( with restriction on 5th and 6th).

I'm probably going to be looking at a rear shock for my next mod when pennies permit, rather fancy a Ohlins with an orange spring if I can get it.

marksim

Reaction score
I am currently running the Richie/Simon flash, the G2 throttle tamer tube, and the Kev mod between my loom and O2 sensor, it's as good as it's possible to be for now I think. I did get rid of my Kev mod thinking the flash would smooth out the lower end surging on closed loop, still found it a bit surgey really so went back to using the Kev mod as well.

The issue that annoyed me the most was trying to hold a constant low road speed, say at 30 or 40 mph and finding the bike being unhappy and coughing and surging, the Kev mod certainly dulled that right down to the point that I am quite satisfied with that side of the bike's behaviour now.

The reflash that Richie and Simon offer turns A mode into something I could only describe as hyperdrive, the bike tries to lift in the first 4 gears and really shifts some, the rpm restrictions are also gone from 5th and 6th gears, I also had my AIS ( air injection system) shut off as the popping and banging whilst fun for a while with the Akra TI exhaust on got to be a bit of an annoyance really. The rad fan also comes on at a lower temperature, like many others have I felt it waited to long to cut in at times. The top speed of the bike ( if my neck could take it) is now around 164 mph ( real speed not indicated) apparently! up from the real speed of 128mph from the factory ( with restriction on 5th and 6th).

I'm probably going to be looking at a rear shock for my next mod when pennies permit, rather fancy a Ohlins with an orange spring if I can get it.
Couldnt agree more MisslucyCrabstickGoGirl
glad you kept the 02 controller as i mentioned before in conjunction with all your other mods it shouldnt be far from perfect now.
drop a tooth on the front now for even more fun.
Ive just got another set of the Ohlins/Andreani kit for my other trackbike MT and highly recommend.£740
Also from Italy i got another Carbon Akra,£525
just to let you know i now have the Purple MT for the road and Orange for the Track,so wait to find out which colour is the fastest LOL

kevxtx

Reaction score
+1, if you read back a few pages I show how to make your own throttle tamer for free.

RBC

Reaction score
+1, if you read back a few pages I show how to make your own throttle tamer for free.
I`ve had a trawl and Oops well I cannot find .... is there a jpg. showing the new profile of throttle cam ?
[MENTION=1007]Copycat73[/MENTION] +1
[MENTION=161]kevxtx[/MENTION] - are you sure it was in this thread? Making my own tamer is such an exciting idea :)

-=SWEDE=-

Reaction score
Ordered my O2 controller last week....probably held up in customs:-( Nothing ever slips through in this country (Sweden).

kevxtx

Reaction score
Europe can take 10 to 20 working days depending how quickly it goes through your customs & local postal systems, Germany is a bit of a pain in the ar## at the moment with postage been held up due to postal strikes. The UK & US takes 5 to 10 days.

-=SWEDE=-

Reaction score
Just finished installing the o2 controller on my tracer and took her out for a short trip and she's nice n smooth on the low revs now:). Thank you so much for the mod Kev
...It's awesome!:)