Lowsided the damn thing

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Yep, on a damp bend, I had been riding the docile old Honda Pan Euro all week, got the MT 09 out to test ride the new Akropovic, got to the first bend past my house, came out the bend opened the throttle a bit and we just went down instantly, we both slid for about 15 feet or so.

Wrecked crash helmet with huge scrapes, wrecked camo textile trousers, bent my finger back to the point where for a day I wondered if it was broken.

Mt09 was a bit unhappy too, scraped out stator casing, left handlebar end lost a lot of material, side stand bobble half gone, and yokes twisted, i also managed to somehow rip off the dip main switch button as I went down.

I don't consider I was going too fast or anything, there was no warning whatsoever it just went, i think I just gave it that bit too much and as the power came in on a damp surface friction went down the pan.

All in all a few hundred pounds of damage, R and G products on the way just in case it happens again!

stevecbr

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, nearly happened to me to. What tyres do you have fitted? Mine has the sporty Bridgestone s20's. Great when warm but take a while to warm up, and really best suited to summer or track use in my opinion. I will be changing mine to the old BT023's or newer T30's when they need replacing

flydnb

Reaction score
oh dear sorry to hear about your accident glad your ok though miss.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I have the Bridgestones, wondering if I should stay with them now tho, I am now scared of riding the bike in the wet!

psychoattractor

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, glad you're okay.

The tyres fitted aren't the best when cold or in the wet, will be replacing with the latest trusty evolution of Pilot as soon as they are worn out

Do you mind if i ask what mode you were in? If there's any dampness to the road i'd be sticking to B mode on corners as the roads will be greasy thanks to the grit/salt.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are all right, the only good thing I can say is that you went down on the left side and didn't damage the Akropovic exhaust.
I have ridden the bike in greasy conditions but not fully wet. When I tested the bike in the dry I got the distinct impression that the MT could easily highside you coming out of a slowish corner if you gave it too much of a handful. I will continue to ride my Super 10 in poor weather conditions at least it has traction control. It's B for bimble for me on my MT in the wet.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
It was in STD mode, I think if I had selected B then I may not have come off like I did, i have had the back wheel spin on me several times before, but usually I don't crash!

ldpain

Reaction score
Exactly the same thing I did, second corner, doing no speed at all and I get to watch as it spins down the road.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got the sportmax on mine and they r w#%k..! I span it out in the wet the other day in 4th at about 4-5k revs. They let go really easily if u push them out of corners with any kind of urgency... So I have a set of pilot road 4's goin on Friday. The pilot road 3's were awesome so I'm hoping the 4's r even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh bugger!
Sorry to hear, but at least you aren't more hurt than the pride has got a dent.
I've got the Dunlops, and to be honest, i don't trust them at all, so in wet condition, its just about going miss daisy at some points.

Here in Manchester, when the roads are wet, you see diesel spillage all over, and it scares me a lot.
It wasn't like that last year, but this winter it have gone mental, it's everywhere.

With regards to tyres, i recommend Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4. They have great grip everywhere, and last for ever.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Bad news on the slide. Would anything protection wise have lowered the repair bill ? Some of those engine sliders are a small fortune. I like engine bars fitted to adventure type bikes, not to expensive and save nearly everything in a spill.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

pipski99

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your spill Miss. I can't understand how yourself and Idpain have suffered the sudden slip and slide down the road. You both have all the experience in the world on riding various bikes in all conditions and get caught out by the MT!!! I, on the other hand, am a newbie with only having had my licence for 2 years and in anybody's book I'm a ham fisted oaf (see my YouTube vids). I must have been V.lucky.

Anyway glad your ok and getting the MT sorted out. It will return, bigger, faster, stronger, better.

I've got the sportmax on mine and they r w#%k..! I span it out in the wet the other day in 4th at about 4-5k revs. They let go really easily if u push them out of corners with any kind of urgency... So I have a set of pilot road 4's goin on Friday. The pilot road 3's were awesome so I'm hoping the 4's r even better

I had pilot road 2's on my fazer and I promised myself some 3's when it came time to change but they lasted so long I didn't get round to it before it p/x'd it for the MT.

Would love to hear some views on the 4's when you've got some road time on them. I didn't even know the 4's were released.

Birdy

Reaction score
Sorry for the both of you , glad nothing serious .I had a few slides in the wet , and one wheelspin /slide/ wheelie showing off in front of my mate on the way home from work ! Does demand a certain amount respect and self control .[ my mate now thinks i am a biking god , but in truth , a little bit of wee came out] :eek: B mode is the answer in these greasy conditions.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pip the 3's were awesome. Warmed up quick. Bags of grip and left a dry line every in the wet. Will let u knw how the 4's r but I can only guess they're even better.

Birdy it must b a "riding home from work whist trying to impress ur mate"! Syndrome coz that's when I had a slide... And it was massive. I ended up almost sideways with opposite lock and sprayed my mates Beemer with water as I passed him. He thought it was quality. I thought "r farts lumpy"? Shit myself have u? Can 2 mind lol

Birdy

Reaction score
You of course must act cool and nonchalant the next day TT ! When your mate asks " how the fu@* did you do that?" look him straight in the eye and say " the bike is an extension of my body" and walk away. He will either think you are A LEGEND or a complete cock and punch your face ! :cool:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You of course must act cool and nonchalant the next day TT ! When your mate asks " how the fu@* did you do that?" look him straight in the eye and say " the bike is an extension of my body" and walk away. He will either think you are A LEGEND or a complete cock and punch your face ! :cool:
Lol. I hope he thinks I'm A LEGEND coz if he punched me in the face I'm fooked as he's a registered MMA fighter lol. We work together so he knows me well. Saying that tho, we did do 168 on my old gixxer 2's up (on a closed circuit or course)! So he wud of been expecting me to do something mad...!