more throttle adjustment ?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
other than the adjuster behind the clocks is there anywhere else on the bike for adjusting the throttle play ?
I must have stretched the cable putting the heated grips on and there isn't enough adjustment to take up the slack

thanks

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Is there any adjustment in the electronics side of things ?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly there isn't any other throtle cable adjuster.
I realize it at 10000km service when my mechanic tried to take up the slack from the cable below tank but there wash't 2 bolts on screw.. just one to keep it stable.
thanks MB, will have to improvise then

RipGroove

Reaction score
Fitting a slightly longer piece of outer cable somewhere (maybe the short piece which goes from throttle tube to adjuster) will have the same effect as shortening the inner cable thus tightening it up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Fitting a slightly longer piece of outer cable somewhere (maybe the short piece which goes from throttle tube to adjuster) will have the same effect as shortening the inner cable thus tightening it up a bit.
I looked at that last night but it doesn't look possible, the piece that goes into the throttle clamp (on the bars) is metal and shaped to fit the curve, might try increasing the circumference of the throttle tube so the grip travel is shorter

RipGroove

Reaction score
I looked at that last night but it doesn't look possible, the piece that goes into the throttle clamp (on the bars) is metal and shaped to fit the curve, might try increasing the circumference of the throttle tube so the grip travel is shorter
Yeah that'll work but will also make your throttle quicker. It's surprising how much a small change in diameter will make to the speed of the throttle. We do this a lot on trials bikes.

Sent from my iPhone

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Yeah that'll work but will also make your throttle quicker. It's surprising how much a small change in diameter will make to the speed of the throttle. We do this a lot on trials bikes.
I did a similar thing to my Street Triple, put the Speed Triple throttle tube on which is about 4mm larger diameter, and it made a hell of a difference
can't change the whole tube, as my heated grip is glued on, so looks like I'll have to use a slither of plastic and some superglue... hmmm ?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I did a similar thing to my Street Triple, put the Speed Triple throttle tube on which is about 4mm larger diameter, and it made a hell of a difference
can't change the whole tube, as my heated grip is glued on, so looks like I'll have to use a slither of plastic and some superglue... hmmm ?
That'll work. What we usually do is take apart some outer cable and get the very small innermost plastic tube out, cut a slit down it with a craft knife then clip it over the throttle cable.

What I've also done in the past is get a small washer the same size as the outer cable and put that between the end of the outer cable and the throttle tube, you'll need to hacksaw a slot in it to get it over the actual throttle cable. That effectively acts like a packer and lengthens the outer cable a little.

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've not looked properly but how is the throttle cable attached to the throttle body under the fuel tank? Can't you just undo it under there, pull it tighter and do it back up again?

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
Whatever you do be very careful with what you do to your throttle, if anything becomes loose or stuck anywhere it could lead to trouble.

Sent from my iPhone

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I've not looked properly but how is the throttle cable attached to the throttle body under the fuel tank? Can't you just undo it under there, pull it tighter and do it back up again?
MotorcycleBoy said there's no adjustment under the tank, that was my first thaught :/

RipGroove

Reaction score
MotorcycleBoy said there's no adjustment under the tank, that was my first thaught :/
Probably no adjustment but the cable has to be held in somehow, I should image it's quite rare to have moulded blobs on both ends of a cable as you'd never be able to get it through the outer cable. There has to be a clamp somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone

MT-Pete

Reaction score
other than the adjuster behind the clocks is there anywhere else on the bike for adjusting the throttle play ?
I must have stretched the cable putting the heated grips on and there isn't enough adjustment to take up the slack

thanks
I can't see that you've managed to stretch the cables! Possibly refitted wrong?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I can't see that you've managed to stretch the cables! Possibly refitted wrong?
I hadn't removed them, just cut the original grip off, but I did twist the throttle pretty hard in both directions to the stops to get the heated grip on... stupid I know

just looked at a video for removing the tank and it looked like the throttle cable is bolted to a bracket, it wasn't exactly clear but I could see hex nuts at the end of the cable

RipGroove

Reaction score
I hadn't removed them, just cut the original grip off, but I did twist the throttle pretty hard in both directions to the stops to get the heated grip on... stupid I know

just looked at a video for removing the tank and it looked like the throttle cable is bolted to a bracket, it wasn't exactly clear but I could see hex nuts at the end of the cable
Tank is pretty easy to remove, check Marthys Exhaust website for some EJK fitting instructions, the first part shows how to remove the tank.

Sent from my iPhone

fizzy

Reaction score

There's a bracket at the throttle body end of the cable and the cable is bolted into it if you have been a bit rough with the grip when twisting it on my guess is that you have bent it under the tank , it's not a hard job getting the tank off hope this helps mate

PaulG

Reaction score
The cables don't stretch to any real extent.They are steel wire.There must be another reason that you can no longer adjust the cable.
You may be able to fit an extra nut or washers on the screw fitting on the sensor end (under tank) of the cable and use this to adjust the position of the cable relative to the cable bracket on the sensor.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cables don't stretch to any real extent.They are steel wire.There must be another reason that you can no longer adjust the cable.
You may be able to fit an extra nut or washers on the screw fitting on the sensor end (under tank) of the cable and use this to adjust the position of the cable relative to the cable bracket on the sensor.
Far too many "cables" in there ^^^^^ for my liking lol.

Fizzy is right tho. I think u mite well have bent the bracket under the tank.