Motorbike Security

Tickly McNips

Reaction score
Hey all,

If you're anything like me you're probably borderline obsessed about the security of your motorbike in an attempt to prevent that gut wrenching morning you wake up and find that it's gone. I'm a daily commuter on my MT and I can't be without it so I take lots of steps to make sure it's still there when I wake up in the morning. I read this article yesterday where a group on Reddit managed to get an "Ask Me Anything" from a bike thief and he gave up frank answers to some questions people have about how these guys tend to operate and what they look for when they're looking for bikes to pinch. It's quite America-centric but I'd imagine the thieving buggers operate in much the same way in the UK.

Interview With a Motorcycle Thief

I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on the security of their bike and what novel tips they have to make stealing it as difficult as possible.

Unfortunately for me I don't have a garage I can lock it up in, I have to leave it on my driveway behind the Mrs' car, so I've had to go all out on the visible security in order to deter tea-leaves from having a go. Luckily it's parked literally right outside our living-room window which is right underneath our bedroom window so it's always within earshot when we're in the house. My setup is as follows.

- First and foremost I cemented in a ground anchor, I went for the Pragmasis TORC Ground Anchor (pictured) (Torc Ground Anchor from Pragmasis - Police-Approved and Sold Secure-Approved Security Anchor) You'd need a tank or be the incredible hulk to pull it out of the ground! You hammer ball bearings into the bolt ends so that it's basically impervious to attack without lots of time/noise/effort which Thieves are adverse to.

- I chain my bike to the ground anchor through the bike's rear wheel (nowhere on the frame to go through) I'm using the Almax Immobilizer Series IV Chain and Squire SS65CS Stronghold Padlock (Almax Immobiliser Series IV Uber + Squire SS65CS Lock | Almax Security Chains) It's (supposedly) uncroppable by virtue of the fact it's so thick, and (supposedly) invulnerable to most attacks, you'd need an angle grinder and time to get through it and the padlock is (supposedly) unpickable and "shrouded" so it's very difficult to attack with croppers. The chain/padlock combo weighs a bloody ton, it really feels serious and gives you confidence nobody is getting through it.

- I also put an 110db alarmed ABUS GRANIT Detecto X Plus 8077 disk lock on the front disk and I've got another similar model (it's predecessor I believe) on the back disk. They seem to me to be pretty much invulnerable to attack, they'd have to remove the wheels all the while the 110db alarms would be going off.

- Over all of this I've got a manky old (but well fitted) cover which I think is probably the most important part of this security setup as it effectively neutralizes the appearance of the bike by masking the shape/size/appeal.

- The bike is Datatagged (for what it's worth), and it's got the Yamaha immobilizer on it. Daft thing, but I always put the steering lock on it. I see so many bikes which havn't!

I take the disk locks with me to work and put them on the front and back when it's parked up which is fortunately right next to our reception where we have 24hr manned security so I don't worry too much when i'm at work. There's also a regular flow of people coming in/out of the building so they'd have to be really audacious/dumb to take it when it's at work, not to mention it's accompanied by several other bikes which aren't as locked down as mine.

I'm thinking about getting an IP Camera, something like this Wansview 1080P 2.0MP WiFi Wireless IP Camera, Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics trained on my driveway which will detect movement and email/text me the videos and pictures.

So yeah, a bit overkill maybe but it's a small price to pay (ish) for piece of mind. I'm always conscious in the mornings that if there was anyone who wanted to knick it and they had half a brain they'd probably wait for me to unlock it and be riding out of my estate and just jump me for it, so I'm extra vigilant when I'm riding into and out of me estate towards my house.

Are there any Motorbike thieves on here who could advice me on where i'm going wrong? :p

IMG_20140823_161928.jpgIMG_20151022_074634.jpg

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I use a 16mm chain secured to a section of a metal fence support, and a Oxford Stormex cover at home. At work, a disc lock in CCTV/secure parking.

Have you considered moving? You may get a better night's sleep ;)

Any motorbike thieves here? I sincerely hope not!

Tickly McNips

Reaction score
I use a 16mm chain secured to a section of a metal fence support, and a Oxford Stormex cover at home. At work, a disc lock in CCTV/secure parking.

Have you considered moving? You may get a better night's sleep ;)

Any motorbike thieves here? I sincerely hope not!
Haha, it has crossed my mind but unfortunately to get on the housing ladder we had to move to a moderately rough area which i'm sure has only been made more rough by the sound of my Akrapovic every morning ;)

I'm reasonably happy nobody would fuck with my bike, there's so many people with flash bikes who just don't bother even with disk locks, why would they risk getting caught for mine?

Tickly McNips

Reaction score
I saw that, it looks like a good idea but I'm not sure how far down this road I go because it starts costing thousands rather than hundreds just to keep my bike mine!
At the end of the day it's fully insured and I've already put up enough deterrents that only a completely determined professional/maniac would get it and at that point i'm not sure the pinch pin would be much good anyway as they'd probably be coming with hydraulic cutting gear or they'd just get into the house and take the keys.
I'm fairly confident that the chain through the wheel + 2 noisy disk-locks + ground anchor + cover is enough to deter anyone but the most stupid of undesirables from taking it, but of course there's always more you could do.

I'm not sure if a GPS tracker would be a good, cost effective idea. It seems to me to only be useful in trying to catch the f***ers because if your aim is to get your bike back in one piece then you can probably guarantee the bike is damaged beyond repair and you'd be claiming on insurance at that point anyway.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Out of interest, Tickly, is there a reason why you favour the rear wheel over the front for the security chain, or it that simply down to position of the bike in relation o the ground anchor?

Tickly McNips

Reaction score
Out of interest, Tickly, is there a reason why you favour the rear wheel over the front for the security chain, or it that simply down to position of the bike in relation o the ground anchor?
Couple of reasons really, and i'm open to other ideas. The first being that the disk locks won't fit nicely on the rear disk and I like to try and even out the security across both wheels, secondly I figure it's more of a faff for a scrote to try and remove the rear wheel than it would be to remove the front although i'm open to suggestions on that one as i've never personally tried to remove the front or rear wheel so maybe the rear is actually easier for someone to remove (but then they'd be left with a very noisy 1 wheeled bike to try and fling into the back of a van).

I know i'm a bit anal on this security stuff but I absolutely love being on my bike and I can't bare the thought of it getting nicked!

stevecbr

Reaction score
Looks to me like you have the security issue fully covered. The only weak point I can see is you have fitted the ground anchor to what looks like a paving slab. One hit with a sledge hammer and the ground anchor is not attached to the ground anymore, a couple of blokes could just pick your bike up and chuck it in a van, irrelevant of how many lock you have on it.

mirdif64

Reaction score
Couple of reasons really, and i'm open to other ideas. The first being that the disk locks won't fit nicely on the rear disk and I like to try and even out the security across both wheels, secondly I figure it's more of a faff for a scrote to try and remove the rear wheel than it would be to remove the front although i'm open to suggestions on that one as i've never personally tried to remove the front or rear wheel so maybe the rear is actually easier for someone to remove (but then they'd be left with a very noisy 1 wheeled bike to try and fling into the back of a van).

I know i'm a bit anal on this security stuff but I absolutely love being on my bike and I can't bare the thought of it getting nicked!
Stick a decent padlock (or two) through the rear disc or sprocket (remembering to keep the keys together with the other ones)

Last edited:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Looks to me like you have the security issue fully covered. The only weak point I can see is you have fitted the ground anchor to what looks like a paving slab. One hit with a sledge hammer and the ground anchor is not attached to the ground anymore, a couple of blokes could just pick your bike up and chuck it in a van, irrelevant of how many lock you have on it.
Uh-oh. Here goes another few hundred quid on security!

Tickly McNips

Reaction score
It looks like a paving slab but I actually removed the paving slab which revealed a layer of hardcore underneath which me and my brother spent a day chiseling into with a rock hammer Shawshank style :p We probably dug down a good 30" before we filled it with concrete.
I've attached a picture of the resulting hole and a few other pics to show just how damn well secured that ground anchor is.

IMG_20140822_134942.jpgIMG_20140822_143612.jpgIMG_20140822_150017.jpgIMG_20140822_151217.jpgIMG_20140823_161928.jpg