Mpg on the motorway

Burg308

Reaction score
Tank brimmed ,5 bars showing on the gauge,90 mile at sensible speeds,70+ no 3 figures had to get off and get some motion lotion,£15 worth of shell super duper stuff at 1.20 a litre,when I got off the motorway the last bar was blinking like a gudun ,all done in top gear ,I think we're gonna need a bigger tank lol

shigidar

Reaction score
I also hate to refuel so frequently. Did any one considered how to increase the fuel capacity on the MT09, for me it is the biggest problem on the bike. Other than that it is great!

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I get about 150 to a tank, but I avoid motorways where poss. I don't need it as an everyday bike.. Pure pleasure for me, so motorways are avoided... Went on a run last year, Dudley to Stourport, then to Llandrindod wells, spot of lunch, up to Shrewsbury, then back down thru bridgenorth back to dudley..... 1 tank.... Gauge started flashing a mile or two from home...

shigidar

Reaction score
Strap a can to the pillion seat ?
strapping a can works if you go for a long ride once every few months or so, i use the bike few days a week. It will run about 160-180 km before i need to refuel and i usually make about 250-300 km a day when i ride it ( it is taking less time to commute :))

Mat Still

Reaction score
I use mine every day to get in and out of work. usually manage 4 days between full ups, so works out about 46mpg!
only been on 1 longish run and she did 55mpg...so that's about 180miles plus on a tank..... used to get over 200 on the tdm!

Burg308

Reaction score
According to my fill up it does just over 30mpg on the motorway,my average on the dash is still showing 54,I would have this would have affected my the motorway journey?

Kinjane

Reaction score
With a bit of patience and with the bike upright, or on the centre stand, I can fit an extra litre in my MT09 after carrying out the filler neck mod that's been mentioned on the forum.
Once managed to break the 200 mile barrier :) not too sure if I should be too proud of that claim or not one though!

My Toy

Reaction score
The last long run on the motorway I did was to Donnington park and the dash recorded 64.7 in A mode on the way down and 69.3 in B mode on the way back. Same route, same riding style and speed, about 75 showing. If you're only getting 30mpg I'd be tempted to shift out of 2nd gear[emoji190]

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji5]️

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
My average fuel consumption is to do about 200km in "spiritual" riding..
The best (lower) consumption i ever did on MT was 240km by a full tank.
Take care for the reserve which has 3,2liters... just enough for 40km by riding in low rev range..
In 15000km i've been ran out of gas 3 times....:mad:

P.S.
comparativelly to other engines the Yami-Triple is quite economic. As an example, the line4 of ZX636 '05 uses more than 10lt/100km.

Last edited:

Burg308

Reaction score
My toy,did you prove these figures by filling up the tank with juice ?,I find it hard to believe a bike can use less petrol doing motorway speeds than in general use,and yes it was all done in top gear.

My Toy

Reaction score
The average for that tankful was 61.6 mpg which included a bit of commuting. Acceleration kills mpg, so town work up and down the gears all the time will use more fuel on average than a motorway run on a constant throttle even with the engine running at higher rpm.

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji101]