MT-09 First Long Ride Out

trevorleigh

Reaction score
OK, so yesterday I went for the first long ride on my 2 week old MT09, it started off as a short trip just to play with the suspension settings, as at 14 stone as am quite a bit heavier than the Japanese test riders. I have found with 2 extra clicks of pre-load and 2 of rebound adjustment on the rear shock stops the soft ride qualities, I am still playing with the front but 1 full turn of pre-load and 2 click of rebound make it much more stable under braking.

Here are my thought on the bike after my 200 mile ride yesterday. This was mainly faster A roads, but I also found some tight, twisty and bumpy B roads, some dual carriageway, and even a bit of M4 motorway.

The Good
Weight - The light weight of the bike makes it very easy to ride, great to hustle round fast sweeper, but equally at home on bumpy B roads and riding in town is a doddle.
Riding Position – This is very relaxed the bars are a good height, and for me at 5ft 8in the leg angle is just about right.
Handling – As above really, with the suspension firmed up a little, it is very difficult to fault it.
Comfort – After 200 miles with only 3 stops, I can say that the seat is pretty comfortable.
Wind Noise – For a naked bike (mine has the small fly screen) it is very quite at all speeds up to around 80 mph, actually even quieter than my faired FZ1 Fazer that I use for touring.
Overtaking – It is a breeze in almost any gear to dispatch traffic, even when only using 5-6000 rpm (as I am still running in).
Fuel Consumption – At the lower revs I am currently using this is pretty good, returning just over 55 mpg for the trip, I am sure this will come down a bit with normal use.
The Engine – Although I have left this till last it is the very best feature of the bike, smooth power and torque from low revs, lovely sound. I am sure this will only get better once run in and using more revs.

The Bad (and is none of it is really that bad)
Throttle Response - In anything other than B mode the throttle is very snatchy, I do not know why Yamaha cannot get this right, I think I will be able to get used to std mode, but in A mode it is pretty difficult. In towns I am always in B mode.
Weather Protection – There is none, if it rains your will get wet, very wet.
The Tacho – Very difficult to read, and the bars flashing make it worse.
Fuel Tank Range – with only 14 litres in the tank, including 3 in reserve, you are starting to look for petrol stations after about 120 miles of riding.

Overall
I think this is a great little bike, and I have a smile permanently on my face when riding it, I love the styling, the attention it gets when parked up and that engine. Just cannot wait for summer.

Fun Fun Fun

Slappyhead

Reaction score
Nice one Trevor, glad you are enjoying it! I thought I had the only one in Hampshire.....

Slappyhead

Reaction score
I'm in chandlers ford, got it from Park Road in Southampton.

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Great write up Trevor, thanks for that.

Im hoping for a few dry hours over the next two days to try out some suspension adjustment, yours sound like a pretty good starting point as im around 14 stone as well and I also find it quite soft as standard when you start pushing on.

Cheers DAPS

marthy

Reaction score
Nice write up. I can't wait to get the fly screen for highway riding. About the throttle twitch, check out EJK fuel programmer. I got the first one going and fitted. It help greatly to smooth the throttle in all 3 modes. This is the only controller available for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chris West

Reaction score
Nice write up. I can't wait to get the fly screen for highway riding. About the throttle twitch, check out EJK fuel programmer. I got the first one going and fitted. It help greatly to smooth the throttle in all 3 modes. This is the only controller available for now.
Personally I am finding the more I ride the less I am conscious of the (overly) sensitive throttle but it is taking a while.
Is there any power advantage in the EJK?

marthy

Reaction score
I am heading to the dyno this morning to test my new exhaust and massage the tunenif needed. So we will know some real HP gain out of an exhaust and tune. On a stock exhaust you might have a slight gain in power or improve mid range but mostly you will smooth out the throttle twitch and improve rideability. Then if you want to upgrade your exhaust down the road... you can tune it on the fly, no computer needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I got mine in deep armor from the motorcycle shop in
farnborough, it was the only one it that colour before the end of the year

Spot

Reaction score
Throttle Response - In anything other than B mode the throttle is very snatchy, I do not know why Yamaha cannot get this right
From what i've read elsewhere I believe it's to do with getting through the emissions tests.
True, some other companies seem to do a better job of it, but i've heard it's to do with how much time they're prepared to spend on getting the response "just right". ie: Maybe it took a few weeks of tweaking to get it to what we have today and to get it a little bit better would've taken too long and add too much to the R & D costs. Something like that anyway, i'm sure you get the idea....
Hopefully there should be something like a power commander available soon to sort it out.
Mine's not due to be delivered until February so you guys are the guinea pigs :)

marthy

Reaction score
From what i've read elsewhere I believe it's to do with getting through the emissions tests.
True, some other companies seem to do a better job of it, but i've heard it's to do with how much time they're prepared to spend on getting the response "just right". ie: Maybe it took a few weeks of tweaking to get it to what we have today and to get it a little bit better would've taken too long and add too much to the R & D costs. Something like that anyway, i'm sure you get the idea....
Hopefully there should be something like a power commander available soon to sort it out.
Mine's not due to be delivered until February so you guys are the guinea pigs :)
Like I mention previously, the EJK fuel controller does a fine job on improving the throttle response and smoothness. I am waiting on getting the second version of the controller that will have the ability of offsetting the O2 sensor signal in close loop map, cheating what the ECU read out the O2 sensor. In close loop the bike run 14.7:1 fuel ratio. That make things very snachy in about every mode... The power curve and response in mode B is more flat, so this is why the snachyness is not as noticeable. But it's there... I will know more about the capability of the controller after I put some miles on it and get it tuned. My goal is to have it so it can be adjustable. It could be left at 14.7:1 FR for good fuel economy and adjust to a richer FR for smooth throttle. The controller doesn't need a PC plug in like a PCV or any other controller. Only require to scroll through the menu and adjust with the +/- button. Very simple to use and does the job just fine. The stock map on the FZ-09 is already very good compare to some other bikes. Doesn't required a lot to run right.