MT-09 for touring?

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A month ago, me and my better half went to Th'Alps for a biking holiday, on each our MT-09's.

We had booked a self guided tour with a known tour operator, and route would be around 2300 miles.

On the 5th of July, we set off to the channel, for an early start at the Eurotunnel.
First 12 miles from hotel to the tunnel went smooth, on train and we were off to France. Yeahaa.

Weather had been on the lucky side, and forecasts was not too promising for holiday mode.
We should soon find out, bad weather gear was indeed a permanent solution.

Arriving at La Barosche in the Vosges Mountains was great. Scenery, roads, hotel - all was great.
As we hit dinner, the first black clouds gathered, and the lights flashed quite a bit.
Next morning was start at 9 after breakfast. We were due to go over Le Grande Ballon, which we also did last year, but this time opposite direction.
Just as we started the incline,
the mist and rain arrived...

The end of this day would be through Basel Switzerland, which had stunning sun and a wonderful lunch with a Mixed grill (and one would wonder, how many thing there is in a mixed grill... short answer: 1 spiced sausage.)

Weather stayed good through most of Switzerland, and as the further south we got, the better weather we got.
And then we saw the first Alps. What a view. Could this be the beginning of a great holiday?

Getting closer to the St. Gotthard tunnel (NOT recommended for bikers - it is 10 miles long, and there is NO oxygen inside...), weather turned bad.
Luckily, we turned away from St. Gotthard and paved our way through to the Furka Pass. But it turned out, we had nearly to get through space to get there - well at least via the Milky Way...

WTF...! Well, that's life in Th'Alps for you. Very relaxed. Prepare for the unforeseen. Nothing surprises.

At times it was bucketing down, but we managed to arrive in Reckingen without being drowned. Sadly my cameras refused to work for a longer times after this, so not much video recorded - and you couldn't see much because of all the rain anyway :-(

Next morning, it was Nufenen Pass, St. Bernadino Pass - roads were AMAZING, but weather sh!t. Honestly, 2-5 degrees and very wet. They joy started to peel off.

Going down the cobbled Tremolo from St. Bernadino was a bit of a test. Cows every where, and their leftovers as small bombs like in any Gameboy game.

Weather turned good again - but only for a short period.
Rest of the day was nearly torrential rain. I got totally soaked through, and the low temperature made me shiver like a little doggy.

After this, i was so damn cold, that we decided to stay in Davos the following day, instead of going to Stelvio, Fluella and St. Julier pass. Weather didn't look good, but a few did go up there - to be met by sleet, snow and white roads. Glad i stayed back in Davos!

Following day, leaving Davos was the wettest day of them all, it was heavy downpour until we came further away from Th'Alps.
Entering Germany reaching for B500, weather started to behave much better, and by reaching France, it was all sunny again.

One thing not to fault was our MT-09's. Excellent fuel economy, doing 140-160 miles on a tank, and didn't miss a beat.
That mileage is fine of you anyway - you want to get off anyway just to stretch, have a drink or make a visit to the toilet at this stage.
Engine was working absolutely spot on, even on tight bends in hairpins, whatever direction.
Seat, sitting position, tank bag, side panniers, PR4's - all worked to superb A+'s and i am so much looking forward to a dry holiday in Spain/Portugal either next year or 2016. But it has to be dry!

We made a small vid of all the still pictures though - 6 days boiled down to 3:55

This is the best bike, i've ever had.

Last edited:

sigtrm

Reaction score
Very nice. Pity the weather tho. That's nice to hear that at least one likes his bike.

Which map did you use? You did not mention snatchy throttle.
(Sorry I couldn't hold myself with this;-))

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cracking write up mate...
Very informative and entertaining... glad you had a good trip and that the MT was as good a bike as any to go touring on...

Stripy

Reaction score
Which map did you use? You did not mention snatchy throttle.
I used the std map, as always, can't be bothered changing, and it doesn't go to warp 9 anyway... ;)
I was in holiday mode - enjoying nature, scenery, and not in a hurry. It wasn't the question of getting fastest through the corners - specially not under these conditions.

Snatchy throttle - depends on who you are, I guess, and what's your liking on the subject?
I've adjusted mine, so it is minimal.