MT09 Clutch Judder

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Hi Folks
600 miles in on my MT09 Tracer and i've had clutch judder from day 1.
Looking to you guys to see if this is a normal for the cp3 engine.
For those who don't know what clutch judder is apply the front brake select 1st gear and slowly release the clutch to load the engine slightly then you may or may not feel a rapid judder.
Feedback would be appeciated.
Dealer thinks its norm op but worse on mine.

Thanks Ian

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Have the MT, not Tracer, I've had no judder at all. Mines as smooth as... Sorry! Mine was a touch snatchy, nothing to do with clutch, that's now smoothed out.. Cos I had the snatch, I used to ride the clutch a bit on tight corners/Islands.. But that's now fixed and luvving it.

I should be test riding one when the lowering kit arrives and the seat....I'm too damn short for the Tracer!

Last edited:

Marks

Reaction score
Likewise have around 700 miles on the tracer now and no signs of any clutch judder.

Penguinman

Reaction score
Hello, do I understand this correctly?

You are putting the bike into gear, and slowly releasing the clutch, whilst holding the front brake on?

If this is right, what else would you expect? The clutch will reach biting point, and either judder, or ultimately stall.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Hello, do I understand this correctly?

You are putting the bike into gear, and slowly releasing the clutch, whilst holding the front brake on?

If this is right, what else would you expect? The clutch will reach biting point, and either judder, or ultimately stall.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.
Yes you miss understand it.
The engine revs will drop slightly on the bite point as the clutch slips if you let it out too far it will clearly stall.
Try doing an hill start if you feel that is a more realistic test.
Just trying to save you finding an hill.
I should point out I'm an automotive engineer so just asking how many bike suffer this issue.
I've had 6 bikes and this is the only one that has suffered with judder.

Last edited:

Penguinman

Reaction score
Yes you miss understand it.
The engine revs will drop slightly on the bite point as the clutch slips if you let it out too far it will clearly stall.
Try doing an hill start if you feel that is a more realistic test.
Just trying to save you finding an hill.
I should point out I'm an automotive engineer so just asking how many bike suffer this issue.
I've had 6 bikes and this is the only one that has suffered with judder.
Hi, now I see, you were replicating a hill start. In that case, no, I have not had that problem either. I do a hill start quite often after I have waited to turn into my road, and whether using front or rear brake until biting point, have not had judder.

All the best.

STMTRACER

Reaction score
No judder with mine either I would have it back down to local dealer.

Gas

Reaction score
It's new, only done 300 miles but noticed it straight away. Hoped it might be 'newness'. Will mention it when it goes back in at 600 miles. It's not a bad vibration but it's definitely there when setting off in 1st.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Update
Had it in for a recall on the gear selector and when he removed the clutch plates he said some were dry so soaked them in oil and it seemed fine on the way home.

MikeyFZS1

Reaction score
Update
Had it in for a recall on the gear selector and when he removed the clutch plates he said some were dry so soaked them in oil and it seemed fine on the way home.
I've had my Tracer a couple of weeks now, and the clutch "drags" and also "judders", I'm thinking that there are some warped friction plates in there, which would explain both the juddering and the dragging. It makes changing gear (using the clutch) a bit of a lottery ! The bike has only 1500 miles on it.

There is the mother of all "clunks" when engaging first gear at a standstill too !!

If the bike is left in gear (I park it at work on a bit of a slope hence why I leave it in gear), when I come to set off after work, I pull the clutch in (while it's still in first gear, engine not started) and roll the bike backwards (down a slight slope) and the bike does not want to move - this further reinforces the fact the clutch is "dragging" and not completely free when disengaged.

The gearbox seems fine - I say this because clutch-less changes up through the 'box are smooth enough.

I'm going to take the juddering and dragging clutch up with the dealer and see how far I get although I'm sure it will be a case of "they all do that Sir....."

If I don't get anywhere with the dealer, then I'll probably fit a new clutch set, it's about £100 for a full set of EBC clutch plates, so not too bad................

Clutch should work absolutely fine on an almost new bike released in 2015 !!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr............