MT09 Flyscreen

Chipfatbob

Reaction score
I've been running without the stock flyscreen for the last few days and I've come to the conclusion that running with the flyscreen provides some body relief from the wind, but directs the flow up to my lid and causes severe vibrations at anything over 85mph. Without the screen, there is more pressure on my chest, but no vibration. Personally, I feel this make the screen not fit for purpose, at best, and hazardous, at worst. As I dropped £100 on this screen, I'm incline to log a complaint with Yamaha/dealer.

1) Am I wasting my time?
2) What are the best alternatives on the market, that provide a decent level of relief, without looking ridiculous? (I've seen what Puig has to offer - Can anyone recommend from personal experience?)

Cheers!

MadGelo

Reaction score
Last edited:

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Yam screen, so don't waste ink/or an email.

What you have is a combination of your height/head position, the screen, and the ability of your helmet to cope with turbulence.

You can do little with your head position, fitting a taller seat and swinging the bars back or forward a touch might help a little, but maybe not.
Changing the screen is your cheapest option, but how do you know it will suit you until you have fitted it.
Swap your helmet if it's getting on a bit.

There are some good comments on what helmet works with the naked MT here on the forum. I get zero head shake on mine right up to 120 when the bike itself gets into a flap with the wind.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^wot he said^^^^^

I use a Shoei GT-Air and get no buffeting at all but I do get quite a few more bug splats with the MT screen. It's just something ull have to deal with unless it besomes too much of an issue for u then I wud just get a different screen

Y

youngy

Not fit for purpose? Do Yamaha describe a purpose? Have to say that I find the wind is directed at my chest without any screen and it feels just fine.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO I think Yamaha purposely left the front "looking unfinished" so we wud maybe buy the Yamaha screen to make it look less ugly. I don't think they really thought about the practically of it at all but hey....wot the chuff do I know lol

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Hey for those who think it looks unfinished and don't want to put a screen on check out flea bay as there are now some items listed to tidy up the rear of the clocks and they look very tidy indeed!!!!

Cheers daps

Locksmith

Reaction score
As said its a combination of screen/helmet/rider height.

I'm using the puig sport screen and apart from more bug splats its good.

flydnb

Reaction score
I use the shoei nxr and i get no buffeting at all and is quiet too , a fantsstic light lid , as for the screen i think it works quite well for me but im only 5ft 8 so maybe thats why .

Spot

Reaction score
As said its a combination of screen/helmet/rider height.

I'm using the puig sport screen and apart from more bug splats its good.
Agree. I'm a short arse and the screen works well for me.

Y

youngy

Hey for those who think it looks unfinished and don't want to put a screen on check out flea bay as there are now some items listed to tidy up the rear of the clocks and they look very tidy indeed!!!!

Cheers daps
those clock covers are neat and very tempting

Chipfatbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I vary my riding height, using both the comfort and street rally seats and there is a sweet-spot when I'm travelling above 70mph, but it means leaning back with my arms fully extended. While this gets rid of most of the vibration, it's not comfortable for long periods and loses effectiveness at higher speeds. For the record, I'm 5'11 and currently use an Arai X4, without the peak. The bike is so much better running without the screen, I'm going to leave it off. I want a new lid (either a Shoei or Schuberth, this time), but I'm going to wait until I can cut a deal at the NEC Bike show, in November.

Until then, I have other priorities - like a carbon Akra.... :D

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I vary my riding height, using both the comfort and street rally seats and there is a sweet-spot when I'm travelling above 70mph, but it means leaning back with my arms fully extended. While this gets rid of most of the vibration, it's not comfortable for long periods and loses effectiveness at higher speeds. For the record, I'm 5'11 and currently use an Arai X4, without the peak. The bike is so much better running without the screen, I'm going to leave it off. I want a new lid (either a Shoei or Schuberth, this time), but I'm going to wait until I can cut a deal at the NEC Bike show, in November.

Until then, I have other priorities - like a carbon Akra.... :D
I think you have answered your own question CFB by naming your current helmet.

From this forum's recent debate, the helmets we know work better than others are :-
Shoei GT Air
Shoei NXR
Schuberth C3 Pro

From looking at pictures of these today, there is a common rear ridge around the back of them, this must be acting as a stabilizer in the wind.
You don't have to wait for the NEC, TT gets good deals on most gear (give him a shout) and using the internet for pricing can get you a cracking deal from Moto Legends if you use their price match less 10%. My C3 pro was the bargain of the year for me.

Last edited:

Yamahayzr500

Reaction score
I fitter a MRA Vario screen at the weekend and it is BRILLIANT it has changed the bike.
This is my 1st naked bike so the yamaha fly screen thing was a joke having come off a fjr1300 for 7 years then an old bandit 1200S and 900 diversion

The MRA fits straight on and you can adjust it real quick even at traffic lights.
and NO I dont work for MRA !

M

MT account

ill second the buffeting thing with the powerbronze lower screen, around 130-140kph the face mask on my shark raw vibrates so much i cant see properly. i suppose the higher 1 would cut that out but it looks.....................higher.:rolleyes:

Peachy00

Reaction score
I have no screen. I get no buffeting, but last night had so many bug splats on my visor it was unreal. Maybe just time of year and a hot day here.

Schultzy

Reaction score
Depends how fast your going will determine buffeting. Much faster than street legal speeds then you will feel buffeting on this bike unless you have the neck and core of superman.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I agree with the full frontal wind problem without a screen, so I tried the Puig Dark Tint (new generation) on my Deep Armor MT.. Found it a lot better, but I'm only 5'5" so sit a bit lower than u taller guys! I took mine to 85mph and found it ok.. Got mine on fleabay from M&P, along with R&G front bobbins...(£79.99 delivered)..

razz

Reaction score
I'm 5'11 and having tried the yam screen from new , I've just tried a puig light smoke sport screen , unless I sit bolt upright , it blurs my vision , so I'll now try with nought screen , if I prefer it , I'll put a little christmas tree on the headlight to make it more eye catching :)