MT09_Rear fender mod - potential breakthrough for those rainy days

Clinton_MT-09

Reaction score
Howdy.

Obviously Yamaha chose looks over practicality when it came to rear fender of the MT09. I have read all the articles relating to third party fenders, from the French, the Brits, the Americans, even Thailand. We all suffer the same fate, Wet back when riding in the rain. You get wet anyway you might add, true, but I am talking all that crap that's on the road - a proportion of it ends up on our backs, laptop carry bags etc - not good.

I think I have found a solution, I have modified the existing fender product based on my understanding where the weak points were.
I have tested it on wet roads, where usually my back would have got wet with the road gunk.

I also believe I have improved the aesthetics of the original fender system - but you be the judge - lots of photos, less words:

Cutting and prepping begins

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

Because of the design of the standard fender bracket buy cutting it int eh correct place, after words the two parts align perfectly:

IMG_2485.jpg

Clinton_MT-09

Reaction score
Final product, what you think?

Next time I ride in the rain I will post a update on this mods performance:

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

lee1980

Reaction score
looks great Clinton, though I have gone for easier option of the optional yamaha one with the long bar taken out to make shorter though not sure if this meant to be done officially not fitted yet but seen other have done it.

Davy

Reaction score
Looks good Clinton, think I'll give it a try when I have time.

M

MT account

nicely done mate. i did something similar by trimming down the plastic bit to retain the indicators20140509_104518_LLS.jpg

fetor566

Reaction score
Did this mod today but instead of welding the brackets together i used 3 high tensile bolts.Figured for any reason bolts u can always undo......works great,thanks man.

the cueball

Reaction score
I just extended the mud guard at the bottom..... works fine and I don't get covered in anything in the rain..

:cool:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I have the stock hugger on mine. I've learnt to live with the spray and crap on wet days. I can't see how a hugger extender would work though, given the travel direction of both the wheel and spray. It would need to be at the back of the wheel to be effective, but that would look crap (see above Pyramid Plastic link).

the cueball

Reaction score
I'm not sure how it all works either, but that's what I have, and I don't get wet! lol

Maybe I'm not going fast enough.... or going too fast... who knows....

;)