New helmet - what to choose?

Sooper

Reaction score
I need a new helmet after i crashed in my old one.

I´m looking at these:

Arai Chaser V
Shoei GT-air
Schubert C3 pro
Schubert S2

Got any experience with any of them, then please chime in. Would be appreciated :)
Alternatives is also welcome...

Thanks!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I´m looking at these:

Arai Chaser V
Shoei GT-air
Schubert C3 pro
Schubert S2

Got any experience with any of them, then please chime in. Would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
Ok so......

I've had 2 GT-Air's....not a bad helmet at all. Quiet and comfortable.

Schuberth S2 Sport is what I have now. It's a fantastic helmet. Light. Very quiet. Extremely comfortable.

Shark Speed-R sauer.... I had one of these before the shoei GT-Air....lol

Scorpion Exo Pump 1200 is a decent helmet too. The cheek pads inflate for a more comfortable fit. Relatively quiet but not the quietest out of the ones mentioned here.

groundhog

Reaction score
Shoei for me, saved my head recently ! I have the XR1100 which has just been discontinued, but you can still pick them up and at £250 rather than the original £420. The GT Air looks good though

Make sure you check out the SHARP rating on any helmet you are thinking of buying. If you don't know of it, it is a government test rating on all helmets. Some very expensive helmets have low ratings and also some cheap one's have good. Worth checking in my opinion

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure you check out the SHARP rating on any helmet you are thinking of buying. If you don't know of it, it is a government test rating on all helmets. Some very expensive helmets have low ratings and also some cheap one's have good. Worth checking in my opinion
Only problem with that is, not all helmets are on there. Especially the new ones which haven't been tested yet as it's not a compulsory test for the manufacturers

Locksmith

Reaction score
Had a Schuberth S2 previously and it was great.
Currently got a C3 and absolutely love it. Flips up for talking to people and petrol stations.
The flip down sun visor is the dogs doodlies.
Got the Bluetooth collar for it as well so its all integrated.

If I recall the Schuberths don't fair particularly well in those sharp tests but I for one cant imagine a German helmet manufacturer who supplies helmets for F1 and bike racing would produce a naff helmet in safety terms. They've got all the German BS ratings (TUV or somelike?)

Anyhows my S2 saved my bonce in a particularly spectacular crash in the French Alps!

Last edited:

groundhog

Reaction score
Only problem with that is, not all helmets are on there. Especially the new ones which haven't been tested yet as it's not a compulsory test for the manufacturers
Still worth a look though if the helmet/helmets you are interested are on there. I found it quite an eye opener and was surprised at some of the expensive lids that were not that well rated

sigtrm

Reaction score

I´m looking at these:

Arai Chaser V
Shoei GT-air
Schubert C3 pro
Schubert S2

Thanks!
I have shoei gt-air and I live it, over a year and no problems so far.
Only thing bad is that I have Matt black and I wouldn't buy this colour from shoei again, I know Matt colours need special care but this one is nightmare.

I wanted to buy Schuberth S2 but it does not fit my head shape unfortunately, while shoei fits perfectly w/o gaps.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still worth a look though if the helmet/helmets you are interested are on there. I found it quite an eye opener and was surprised at some of the expensive lids that were not that well rated
I completely agree. Always worth a quick gander

Sooper

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great inputs :)

I quite like the Schuberts, think i need to try them on... I understand the C3pro is the quietest helmet available, with a noise rating of only 82db at 100km/h.

If only they weren't so damn expensive :)

My latest helmet, the one i destroyed was actually a Shark S900.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great inputs :)

I quite like the Schuberts, think i need to try them on... I understand the C3pro is the quietest helmet available, with a noise rating of only 82db at 100km/h.

If only they weren't so damn expensive :)

My latest helmet, the one i destroyed was actually a Shark S900.
Definitely wear those. I always wear one for at least 15 minutes in shop.

fizzy

Reaction score
Ok so......

I've had 2 GT-Air's....not a bad helmet at all. Quiet and comfortable.

Schuberth S2 Sport is what I have now. It's a fantastic helmet. Light. Very quiet. Extremely comfortable.

Shark Speed-R sauer.... I had one of these before the shoei GT-Air....lol

Scorpion Exo Pump 1200 is a decent helmet too. The cheek pads inflate for a more comfortable fit. Relatively quiet but not the quietest out of the ones mentioned here.
Your eBay account must get some hammer rich lol!
or are all the old lids in the attic wit all he old exhausts:cool:Pmsl

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your eBay account must get some hammer rich lol!
or are all the old lids in the attic wit all he old exhausts:cool:Pmsl
Lol. Actually there's a 2 week old scorpion exo 1200 pump on eBay now. Only wore it 4-5 times lol. Oh and a stock exhaust off of my fazer 8 lol but yes all the kids and exhausts have been sold on eBay at some time or another

Bon

Reaction score
I just bought the Arai Chaser V
Have had HJC in the past and been well impressed with them but then got a Chaser. Tried on lots of different helmets but it had to be the Chaser V for me.
My head shape is no good for Shoei, AGV or Shark.
You need to go and try loads on . Youll know when one fits right out of the box.

Cobweb

Reaction score
I've just replaced my Schuberth Flip with a Shoei Neotec and I think it's a much better flip helmet than the Schuberth but the price is a killer at nearly 500 quid

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Found this link very interesting as I have had problems with helmet fits over the years.
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld
I recently bought a Shoei Neotec which is a brilliant helmet very comfortable in the shop but after 30 - 40 minutes on the bike I found it terribly uncomfortable. I still have an old Nolan N102 which I find very comfortable and from this I have deduced that I have a "round head"
To cut a long story short I sold the Shoei and using the table in the link I bought a Givi X.01 Tourer. This is a system helmet, very flexible and a great fit for me. Looks good as well.
http://www.givi.co.uk/helmets/MODULAR/X.01 TOURER