Nitron NTR R1 Road/Race Shock

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Taken from the website:

The NTR R1 shock has one damping adjustment. The adjustor knob affects both compression and rebound simultaneously for simple setup and making it a more road-biased shock. The shock features spring preload as well as shock length adjustment. It comes preset for damping and preload and includes the bearing end spacers and preload adjustment tool.

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
I have this basic Nitron on my Tracer, generally very pleased. I found that the standard shock seemed to have a very crude action, the bumps on the Midlands back roads had me out of the seat as much as in it. With a spring for my weight (14 stone in my socks) I now have a much more comfortable ride. I do not think the single damper adjuster is a problem, at least so far, and how many road riders ever really optimise the damping settings? Given the huge range of real road conditions, any setting will be a compromise.

I also bought the remote pre load adjuster as I often carry a pillion. Not so happy with this as the "click" between each setting (I think there are around 20 steps) is vey slight and difficult to feel. However, it does work. ( I wind on the damper a few clicks when the pre load is increased) I also had a shorter shock body as a no cost option. This is much more effective than lowering links for a short a*se like me with a 29" inside leg. A 10mm shorter shock drops the seat height by over an inch and there is some adjustment on the shock length as standard if its too low (Forks also dropped through yokes by 1") I cn now touch the ground!

You can also now have a grey graphite spring colour that , in my opinion, fits much better with the standard paint schemes. I am now looking for some Ohlins linier front springs to improve the front.

In summary, probably not the best shock for a track day, but as I don't do those (at least on this bike)...its a good step towards making the Tracer the bike it should be (screen, exhaust, rad guard, crash bungs, heated grips, already sorted..)

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Thanks for the considered reply. I'm quite tempted by one as the Ohlins route is too expensive. Like you, I'm intending to upgrade the fork internals, but I'm not prepared to spend the best part of £1300 all in front and rear. I don't track my bike so am after an improved road suspension set up. That said, I've 3 consecutive track days at the Circuit de Barcelona in early October, so am thinking this Nitron NTR R1 shock and am improved front end will fair well for a road bike with a one-off (possibly, unless I get hooked) track session.

Last edited: