Question No throttle after bump.

Oldgdog

Reaction score
Hi Guys, a new member here, hoping I may be able to get some helpful information to hopefully sort my issue.
My bike has started giving me a problem lately. when I ride over a bump in the road ,the engine warning light on the dash comes on, and there is no response from the throttle. The motor still runs but no throttle response. I can then stop the bike and turn it off, then restart it , and the engine light goes out and no problem with the throttle.
This has been happening maybe once every 500 odd kilometres lately. Only thing I can think of is that I put a set of heated grips on about a year ago, has this upset the electronic throttle some how? I have been lucky so far that it hasn’t happened when I have had a vehicle behind me, but time to get it sorted before it causes an accident.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi Oldgdog
Do you get any fault codes show on the clocks when this happens ?. Have you had time to check any of the connections to the fly be throttle connections in case there is a loose or corroded plug.
I've added 3 screenshots from the 2017 workshop manual if these are any help, i couldn't find much in troubleshooting concerning your problem

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldgdog

Reaction score
Hi Oldgdog
Do you get any fault codes show on the clocks when this happens ?. Have you had time to check any of the connections to the fly be throttle connections in case there is a loose or corroded plug.
I've added 3 screenshots from the 2017 workshop manual if these are any help, i couldn't find much in troubleshooting concerning your problem
Hi Littlebruv, thanks for your reply,
no fault codes show when this happens,
I have pushed on and wriggled the connections into the throttle to see if they seem secure(very scientific!)
thanks for your screenshots, ill have one more check of the connections, then it may be time to take it in to a Yamaha workshop..
cheers

bobh

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started the bike up and although it started fine, it wouldn't respond to the throttle, it just sat on tickover. Turned the ignition off and on again and it was fine.

I put it down to the fact that I'd hosed the bike down the previous day and maybe some water had got into a connection, which evaporated with a bit of engine warmth. It hasn't done it again since then (touch wood!)

So I think that going over all the cable connections and maybe greasing them woud be the best advice i can give.

Oldgdog

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started the bike up and although it started fine, it wouldn't respond to the throttle, it just sat on tickover. Turned the ignition off and on again and it was fine.

I put it down to the fact that I'd hosed the bike down the previous day and maybe some water had got into a connection, which evaporated with a bit of engine warmth. It hasn't done it again since then (touch wood!)

So I think that going over all the cable connections and maybe greasing them woud be the best advice i can give.
Thanks boba, I’m wondering if my problem was a bit of water in the wrong place also..
Happily I haven’t had the problem again on my last few rides.
Thanks for your suggestion.