Normal unleaded or premium unleaded

Reaction score
Well to ressurrect an old thread, i was reading the manual for the MT09 today (come on, how many of us have bothered to?!) as i needed to adjust the clock, and section 3-19 says:

Recommended Fuel: Premium Unleaded gasoline (gasohol -E10 acceptable)

"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use premium unleaded gasoline with a research number of 95 or higher. if knocking or pinging occurs use gasoline of a different brand, use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs.

Gasohol:

there are two types of gasohol, those containing Ethanol and those containing Methanol, Gasohol containing Ethanol can be used if the Ethanol content does not exceed 10% (E10) Gasohol containing Methanol is not recommended by Yamaha as it can cause damage to the fuel system."

So as long as it's decent quality 95RON it's unlikely to make any difference.

Personally I'll always avoid supermarket cheapo stuff in the bike or any cars as i've been told by two different RAC mechanics, my local mechanic - who i trust, and my colleague who's into tuning and remapping that it's cheap because it's 'watered down' (not with water i suspect!) and doesn't have the proper cleaning/lubricating chemicals in it.

HTH

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
All fuel sold in the UK meets that same British Standard and indeed comes from the same refinery plants so it wouldn't be weaker than any other. The only difference i'm aware of is the various additives that different branded fuel companies mix in, i'm sure there are differences in the cleanliness of the engine and obtained mpg under lab conditions but if you would notice anything in real life conditions, i doubt, so your mechanics are half right.

That being said I rarely fill up the bike at a Supermarket but the wife fills up her Golf at Tescos all the time and we've had no issues.

I've run my Tracer at various times on regular and super and not noticed anything, unlike the 'old days' of carb bikes where it really did liven things up.

The only issue i've had with fuel funnily enough was after filling up my van at an ESSO garage, I had water in the tank afterwards. When I had it fixed and went back to complain it seems they had a fault with one of their underground tanks and all the costs were paid and I got a free fill up to boot, but that was diesel anyway.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
How many of us keep a bike long enough to really find out if using supermarket petrol against say a BP or Shell station poor engine performance would become a problem as the machine gets more miles on it or not, bet it I not to many. I 99%of the time will use supermarket fuels in bike and car, never had any issues.

pavc

Reaction score
How many of us keep a bike long enough to really find out if using supermarket petrol against say a BP or Shell station poor engine performance would become a problem as the machine gets more miles on it or not, bet it I not to many. I 99%of the time will use supermarket fuels in bike and car, never had any issues.
Many years ago I used to only use one super market petrol as it was on my door step. I ended up breaking down with water in the petrol tank. Never used that supermarket for fuel since, with the bikes I mainly use branded stations, one car however did not like shell petrol as it always pinked when I filled up with it.

barton

Reaction score
I had a problem with my 99 R1 after it had been standing turned out the carbs were all gummed up, Thought I would have the same problem with my GIXER 750 and being fuel injected was expecting the worse, Any way drained the tank on both bikes the R1 looked like a tea bag had burst in the tank, the GIXXER nothing, My son pointed out that the fuel in the suzuki was form my last trip to the Nurburgring anf was super unleaded. After some research found out that the unleaded is 10% bio ( there will be a EU and BS number on the pump ). What looked like tea leaves was bacteria from the bio part of the fuel ie sugar beet, the super only as a BS number on the pump and isn't bio.

This was unleaded left for two weeks in a plastic jug the brown bits are the cultures growing. If you use your bikes regular probebly nothing to worry about, I now only use super in my bikes

barton

Reaction score

These are cultures that formed in unleaded left for two weeks, its the bio bit from sugar beet