Ohlins suspension

Mtpete

Reaction score
I have a ohlins rear shock and I never thought that one piece of engineering could make such a huge difference, serious if you don't have one, get one! You will not be disappointed. Now I've turned my attention to the front. Not sure about the rest of the world but here in AUS I can't get full ohlins forks just internals ( springs and stuff ) my question is, is it worth getting just the internals or wait for the full set? Maybe the only advantage of full fork sets is the "wank factor" you know the gold legs with ohlins written on it. Because if no one knows what's the point right? But to be serious now is there an advantage to full sets over internals?

M

MT account

it you buy an orange bike they have gold forks already...........but they are wank .....not wank over-able........mine might be soon cos i rang maxtons on friday.......i have a cunning plan.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Love the black outer and gold inner tubes. That is what I want.

M

MT account

Do you or any one know if you can buy those black ohlins for the MT? Or did liberty Yamaha use a set for a different bike like R6 forks or something??
MT forks are quite a bit longer than regular forks, which is a shame cos ive got a juiced up set of black Z1000 forks sat doing nowt in the garage.....15mm too short.......:(

Mtpete

Reaction score
MT forks are quite a bit longer than regular forks, which is a shame cos ive got a juiced up set of black Z1000 forks sat doing nowt in the garage.....15mm too short.......:(
Sometimes it feels like they do that on purpose lol.

Keep her lit

Reaction score
Do you or any one know if you can buy those black ohlins for the MT? Or did liberty Yamaha use a set for a different bike like R6 forks or something??
Sorry i have no idea, try contacting them either by their website or Facebook page and see what they say.

memla

Reaction score
I am in OZ (Melbourne) and just had my front and rear upgraded by Promech and it has transformed the bike. It has new front springs, valves and anti dive shims and the rear shocker was revalved as well. I am super light (64kgs) so the rear spring was spot on for me. Added to this the Marthy exhaust and fuel controller and it is a completely different bike and the one I wanted when I got it. Peter at Promech said Ohlins were overkill for the front and there were all levels of Ohlins as well depending how much cash you have.

Mtpete

Reaction score
I am in OZ (Melbourne) and just had my front and rear upgraded by Promech and it has transformed the bike. It has new front springs, valves and anti dive shims and the rear shocker was revalved as well. I am super light (64kgs) so the rear spring was spot on for me. Added to this the Marthy exhaust and fuel controller and it is a completely different bike and the one I wanted when I got it. Peter at Promech said Ohlins were overkill for the front and there were all levels of Ohlins as well depending how much cash you have.
You are right ohlins are probably an over kill and there are plenty of other top notch suspension company's out there including promech, but I just like the ohlins don't know why just do.

Bon

Reaction score
I have a ohlins rear shock and I never thought that one piece of engineering could make such a huge difference, serious if you don't have one, get one! You will not be disappointed. Now I've turned my attention to the front. Not sure about the rest of the world but here in AUS I can't get full ohlins forks just internals ( springs and stuff ) my question is, is it worth getting just the internals or wait for the full set? Maybe the only advantage of full fork sets is the "wank factor" you know the gold legs with ohlins written on it. Because if no one knows what's the point right? But to be serious now is there an advantage to full sets over internals?
Got an Ohlins shock ordered for the rear and some Fork Springs for my weight. Getting it all set up as soon as they arrive from Sweeden. Ill let you know how it goes but am expecting a pretty huge improvement over stock [budget] items.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Got an Ohlins shock ordered for the rear and some Fork Springs for my weight. Getting it all set up as soon as they arrive from Sweeden. Ill let you know how it goes but am expecting a pretty huge improvement over stock [budget] items.
Well I can defenetly speak for the rear ohlins, and you won't be disappointed. Good bit of kit.

jambocool

Reaction score
Great to hear memla!
I just dropped my bike off at Terry Hays shock treatment out near Penrith, to see what he can do.
He initially mentioned pretty much the exact some thing as you got done, revalve and springs for the front, and basically the same for the shock. (Except I'm a bit heavier :p)
I wasn't too sure of this as previously I hadn't heard of anyone else getting the shock revalved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim_Royle

Reaction score
Great to hear memla!
I just dropped my bike off at Terry Hays shock treatment out near Penrith, to see what he can do.
He initially mentioned pretty much the exact some thing as you got done, revalve and springs for the front, and basically the same for the shock. (Except I'm a bit heavier :p)
I wasn't too sure of this as previously I hadn't heard of anyone else getting the shock revalved!

So we can re-valve the stock rear shock?

jambocool

Reaction score
So we can re-valve the stock rear shock?
Yep!
So they had to pretty much break the rear shock open to do mods (drilled a hole and added a gas screw) and re-welded it back together. Apparently the spring rate was ok for me, so ended up being about $850 for the shock revalve/mods, front revalve and new springs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409560288.417820.jpg

Haven't had too much time to ride it yet, but definitely feels better, less dive at the front, and the rear actually deals with bumps instead of trying to buck me off.