Please help!

MadGelo

Reaction score
I found out why, when I used my rear brake, it made odd sound.

I assume it is not supposed to move like that?

Is it broken?

I havnt touched it before, I know the dealer slacked my chain week or two ago...

[video=youtube;x6bZYfPNRig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bZYfPNRig&feature=youtu.be[/video]

relz

Reaction score
Have you removed the wheel recently?
When installing the brake calliper, it has a groove that fits onto a bump on the right swingarm. Perhaps it isn't properly in place?

MadGelo

Reaction score
I havnt had the wheel removed.
Only thing done, was dealer slacking the chain.

Is the groove visible from outiside?

iv tried loosing, everything seems fine...

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I saw the vid and didn't hear any other noise than drive chain's. Don't worrry but look after it
Do you hear this "tack" when the wheel touches ground, travelling and press the brake or only when the bike is on stand ?
Obviously "tack" is from the contact of pads on disk... is the disk semifloating ?

Last edited:

relz

Reaction score
I havnt had the wheel removed.
Only thing done, was dealer slacking the chain.

Is the groove visible from outiside?

iv tried loosing, everything seems fine...
I don't think it's visible.
Had a closer look at you video and I don't think that that's the problem. If the caliper was not in the groove it would have to higher up, on top of it. In that case the caliper would seem to be out of place, a bit up and distant from the swingarm. Yours looks very close to the swingarm, so I don't think that's the issue.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Will stick mine on a paddock stand tomorrow and do the same thing. Mine is not the ABS model though.
It could be something to do with the ABS. Obviously with you spinning it on a stand like you are, you wouldnt expect it to stop dead (cos its got ABS)

Stripy

Reaction score
Why don't you just go into the dealer and ask him to have a look for you?

MadGelo

Reaction score
I saw the vid and didn't hear any other noise than drive chain's. Don't worrry but look after it
Do you hear this "tack" when the wheel touches ground, travelling and press the brake or only when the bike is on stand ?
Obviously "tack" is from the contact of pads on disk... is the disk semifloating ?
you can see the whole thing moves when I break (the black and silver part) and the fact that i didnt have the sound before is what worring me. It does the same when on the ground, so if I use rear break when standing still a bike moves a bit back, the next time I use rear break it makes the sound when the thing hits stop.

I have no idea what semifloating is

MadGelo

Reaction score
Will stick mine on a paddock stand tomorrow and do the same thing. Mine is not the ABS model though.
It could be something to do with the ABS. Obviously with you spinning it on a stand like you are, you wouldnt expect it to stop dead (cos its got ABS)
Wasnt doing it before (on the ground)

Kinjane

Reaction score
Your rear spindle is loose allowing the brake calliper bracket to arc back and forth around the wheel spindle in partnership with the disc rotor when the brake is first applied.

When you tighten it ensure the calliper 'knocks' in the clockwise direction to reduce stress on the bracket and stop lug.

108lb/ft ? in old money

MadGelo

Reaction score
gonna take the bike to local MC shop tomorrow and borrow torque wrench and see if that helps.
thx

relz

Reaction score
gonna take the bike to local MC shop tomorrow and borrow torque wrench and see if that helps.
thx
I don't own a torque wrench, so I just tightened it bloody hard, really put my weight on it. It seems to work OK so far :)

MadGelo

Reaction score
I dont own a wrench big enough, so might as well go a borrow torque

stunva

Reaction score
Dumb question, but is the axle nut as tight as it should be.

Edit: Ok, you had me intrigued so I went and put mine on the stand and done the same thing. I too have a little movement but nothing I'm worried about.

I think it's simply the difference in the width of the slot on the carrier and the key in the swingarm.
When you hold the carrier against the swingarm there is a little bit of slack there, it can jiggle around a little, when there's no tire there.

I can't see it making much of a noise unless you have applied the rear brake while wheeling the bike backwards and then tapped the brake going while going forward again.

Last edited:

relz

Reaction score
I can't see it making much of a noise unless you have applied the rear brake while wheeling the bike backwards and then tapped the brake going while going forward again.
:D

(I was only planning on posting the smiley, but apparently you need at least 10 characters in a messager, or else you get an error message).

MadGelo

Reaction score
Tightening the rear wheel to the right torque, solved the issue

thx