Port & polish?

Mtpete

Reaction score
Ok, now this is something I've been thinking about for awhile. Porting and polishing the head. My question is dose anyone know much about this on the mt09? Is it pretty rough in there? Dose the intake and exhaust ports need much cleaning out? Is the inside of the combustion chamber very rough? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Also if any one knows a good head working shop in Australia, that would be appreciated.

My Toy

Reaction score
Port and combustion chamber design have improved massively over recent years, that along with engineering tolerances means that there is little to be gained by porting a modern cylinder head. Gone are the days like in the 70's and 80's when people like Yoshimura could extract massive extra power by removing masses of aluminium from heavy cylinder heads. There just isn't the metal in there anymore, the best you could expect would be to remove slight steps in the joins between the inlet and exhaust manifolds and the head but to be honest on a cost/benefit ratio it don't seem worth it to me. Just my opinion you understand, I don't know what you want from the bike but I don't think you'll get a big increase in performance by porting and polishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mtpete

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. It was just one of those things that pass through your mind.

Frugaltail

Reaction score
I know a few guys that had this done on street triples and they said that you should expect +5% increase in power at the most. Many report that the cylinders are as good as perfect but intake and outlets needed a bit of clearing up, having matches pistons and balanced crank gives better results. ...so I hear