Price of stuff

Twozup

Reaction score
I'm getting more and more hacked off at the usual suspects hitting us with prices that are a bit out of order in my opinion

Huggers/ Sliders/ seat cowls/ brake levers/ rad guards etc

It's becoming more obvious the companies flogging us these extras are pricing in accordance with what others are pricing ie what they can get away with and not by setting their own pricing based on research tooling overheads materials etc.

If this was the case we'd see a far greater variance across the board for what is essentially the same item but of differing quality and how much it cost to manufacture

Totally accept that high quality low run goods will cost more.
But the amount of shite on the market priced at the same price as the quality stuff because that's what us mugs will pay? Piss right off!! (a certain companies radiator guard discussed in previous posts is my case in point)

The stupid thing is that if they price their kit properly and bring the cost down they'd sell more.....

Can you tell I'm hacked off??!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Yamaha started the ball rolling with their "official" accessories pricing. Idiots went and bought these said "quality" items and the aftermarket boys jumped onto the bandwagen to try and keep up.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do agree. We always pay over the odds for mediocre parts/mods. Classic example wud be R&G. The think they have cornered the market in "crash protection" but as we have all worked out.... They mite be one of the only ones in THIS COUNTRY, but if u look further afield u can find better items and more reasonable prices. SW MOTECH to name only one...!

We shudnt roll over to these companies if we don't think their goods are worthy of our hard earned cash... Then we shudnt even entertain them....!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Stripy

Reaction score
Welcome to the economic revolution of Britain (and Western Democratic economies, too)

Maximum revenue for shareholders is only thing counting.
Not the slightest interest in what you as the buyer thinks they should sell for.

My 5 years of living in Britain have opened my eyes for what greed is. Enough is never enough, the handle can always take a twist more.
Just like racing and other competition - it is plaster or podium!

stevecbr

Reaction score
AS already said, Yamaha started the ball rolling with their high priced accessories
The official akrapovic is around the £950.
Akrapovic is about to release a carbon canned one with a twisty pipe (which I assume is tuned to give better performance, and will be better than the Yamaha recommended Akra) for £300 less, thats over 30% less than the official Yamaha one!
And as for £500 for Yamaha rear sets, and £100 each for brake and clutch levers is madness.
I will be fitting my new fork & swingarm protectors next week, total cost £8.85 (£2 each for roller skate stoppers, any colour you like from local skate shop, and 85pence for 1 meter of 8mm threaded rod (I've got the nylok nuts kicking about)

RipGroove

Reaction score
AS already said, Yamaha started the ball rolling with their high priced accessories
The official akrapovic is around the £950.
Akrapovic is about to release a carbon canned one with a twisty pipe (which I assume is tuned to give better performance, and will be better than the Yamaha recommended Akra) for £300 less, thats over 30% less than the official Yamaha one!
And as for £500 for Yamaha rear sets, and £100 each for brake and clutch levers is madness.
I will be fitting my new fork & swingarm protectors next week, total cost £8.85 (£2 each for roller skate stoppers, any colour you like from local skate shop, and 85pence for 1 meter of 8mm threaded rod (I've got the nylok nuts kicking about)
Just a word of warning with regards to skateboard wheels, once they start sliding on tarmac they wear away insanely quickly, so on a long lowside they might wear away before the bike stops moving.

Best thing to do is do a quick sketch and get a local backstreet engineering company to knock up a load of sets of crash protection, essentially most of it is lathe work so no tooling costs (standard chuck for work holding, standard cutting tools) and the rest it stainless nuts, bolts and threaded bar.

Sent from outer space

Twozup

Reaction score
Best result would be that the robbing cnuts selling them priced them right in first place. £20-30 for engine sliders. Yes please. £60-70. Nah I'll wait. £100+? Fcuk off you robbing bastartds

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

RipGroove

Reaction score
Best result would be that the robbing cnuts selling them priced them right in first place. £20-30 for engine sliders. Yes please. £60-70. Nah I'll wait. £100+? Fcuk off you robbing bastartds

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
Agreed, I'm an engineer myself so I can see how little parts like these cost to make, thats why I begrudge paying high prices for simple kit.

Sent from outer space

Twozup

Reaction score
As I say I have absolutely no issue with people making money through their business and something costing £80 like a hugger has to be worth that and not a cheap moulded bit of plastic cobbled together for a fiver and selling at £80 because there's one or two QUALITY ones on the market selling for that price.
Of course I've no proof behind the above it's 'anecdotal' but it's frickin obvious it's going on when you start comparing prices then reading reviews on here an other sites sits obvious the Gravy Train going full speed to Moneytown and everyone jumping on it.....rant rant rage rage hahaha

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Cypher

Reaction score
Totally agree with everyone. This was one of the big "surprises" for me as a newcomer to motorcycling. Every little thing costs a fortune. Stuff that probably costs 50p to produce sells for £100 or more.
Even things like the small spinners, they probably come from China £1 per container. We pay through the nose for it all.

It feels to me that it is the case of a small monopoly consisting of a handful of manufacturers. The likes of R&G, Evotech, T-Rex, etc. There's not too many of them if you start thinking about it.
They see that others are getting away with £70-90 for a radiator guard and they price theirs the same. Someone releases a seat cowl at £90 and everyone else does the same. Never mind that it cost them £5 to "research" and manufacture.

The only things I've bought for now are T-Rex engine protectors, French tampons and Evotech radiator guard. That's $120 + €170 + £70 respectively (almost bought the R&G ones but they looks shit and I don't want to be their mobile advertisement board). Far too much for my liking but me being a new rider I need some kind of insurance that if I drop it again, I won't have to replace my engine covers like I had to this time. It's a necessity in a way and they are playing on it. I'd be buying much more if the prices were a bit more realistic but the way it stands, I won't be spending quarter of a thousand for Yamaha levers or half a thousand for Yamaha pedal replacements.

Stripy

Reaction score
The best thing to do - voice the concern where other customers listen - in front of their shop (I know, difficult, when it's a webshop only...) but you can then go on their Facebook page and leave a comment with your concern (but always in a "diplomatic and constructive way"...)
Then next to that - vote with your feets

lou

Reaction score
hi All, Just thought I would put my two-penneth in. i am at present getting a Hugger, bellypan & Screen being made up by Skidmarks in Portland who I have dealt with on several occasions over the yrs and have found them to be very competitive with great quality goods. When I get my bike back prob in a bout a week i will post pics on the site remember (life's to short to grow up) Lou:cool:

Twozup

Reaction score
hi All, Just thought I would put my two-penneth in. i am at present getting a Hugger, bellypan & Screen being made up by Skidmarks in Portland who I have dealt with on several occasions over the yrs and have found them to be very competitive with great quality goods. When I get my bike back prob in a bout a week i will post pics on the site remember (life's to short to grow up) Lou:cool:
Prices?

Click [HERE] then {HERE}