Quick tyre question (Which to get?)

Kinjane

Reaction score
Put Rossi on an MT with the standard shit suspension and tyres and watch how he makes it go.
At around 67Kgs Rossi is probably the right weight for the stock '09 suspension ;)

Put a PR4 on the rear in late November and no problems so far.

Last edited:

boro

Reaction score
Off topic, got a bit confused seeing your" boro" name and just riding into summer! Ahhh New Zealand :)

Still come on you gunners :p

Does no-one rate the oe tyres at all. Sat in the office at work I cant for the life remember what ones I have, but they're fine!
Yes I think the gunners will win, two premiership scalps perhaps too far.

I had the Dunlop 214 and ok in the dry but in the wet they are terrible, no feel no grip and didn't warm up at all.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Does no-one rate the oe tyres at all.
not me, took the Dunlops off after the 600 mile service, they were dier in the wet so switched to PR4 for the winter
yes TT, PR4's... for the winter :)
the Dunlops will sit in my garage until I sell the bike

lee1980

Reaction score
I was praying for Bridgestone S20's when I got bike in Jan, luckily came with them dealer said it seems to be 50-50 with dunlops. Its been around 1c last few weeks dry though and they have performed great.
They are like track day tyres, so will deff change for PR4 etc.

I'm about 82kg not including gear and I find suspension ok now in winter, expect will fiddle with setting in summer.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
If we rate PR4 with 10 then the Dunlop D214sportmax gets the rate of 6 IMO...
I rode the stock tyres (D214) for 9700km cause i didh't felt a lot of fear on them.
On dry tarmac turning i used their crown all the way, from side to side but the bike was not so "down" as with the PR4.
On the wet i was needed to put it in B-mode just to feel more safe... i didn;t even think to open the throtle.. that it had to be a "suicide action" !!
My riding style had helped the tyres to live enough, but when i saw the wear indicators arrise i imediatelly change them with PR4s..

RipGroove

Reaction score
PR4's for me then. So far been quoted £280 by Yamaha and £260 by a local tyre place, have two other motorcycle dealers to call and I'll get it booked in.

Sent from my iPhone

Cypher

Reaction score
Howdy, old farts, who still remember me! :) Just wanted to add my 2 cents to all this.

Like many, I had the S20's on the MT when I bought it. Never had any issues with them, they gripped well in cold, wet, warm or dry. Not once had I had any scary moments with them. Then I sold the MT and got myself a GSX-R750 that came with BT016's (the same ones that some people were "lucky" enough to have on their MT's). My God, they're bad in low temperatures! I've had a few times when both my wheels locked up when I had to quickly slow down with no grip at all. Almost lost my bike twice during BikeSafe in wet as my rear end just went sideways while I was filling my pants with brown substance and to add to all that I had a massive wheelspin last week at about 3mph a few yards from my gate. Was very lucky to hold the bike upright :/

Finally, yesterday I got a puncture so looks like I might have to get a new set and I'm also thinking about PR4's (especially having seen TT say good things about them too among many other people). I started reading what people say about punctures on different forums and lots of times http://www.essentialrubbertyres.co.uk/ came up as a well-priced and professional garage. Have you tried calling them, Rip? They're located near the Blackwall Tunnel (North side). They're closed today but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what can/should be done with my situation.

relz

Reaction score
I too have got the PR4's after reading many recommendations from various people.

I'm quite happy with the grip, but I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed by their premature wear. I've ridden about 7500 km's on them, and the center is just reaching the wear marks. I expected a sport touring tire to give me at least 10,000 km. AFAIK the center of the tire should be from tougher rubber, so supposedly it would last longer....

Admittedly I've got a pretty heavy right hand, when riding the MT and am not trying to ride conservatively/sparingly in any way. I use full throttle, power weelie, slam on the brakes etc. at will. Still... I was hoping they'd last longer.

I've used PR2's and PR3's on my previous bike, a Bandit 1200, which isn't a weak bike either. They always lasted me at least 12,000km. I ride a bit more hooligan style, but I didn't think it would make such a difference.

flydnb

Reaction score
The way you ride makes a huge difference as does the environment and surface of roads, torque of the bike, etc etc etc , there are so many variables , I have done 2500 miles on my Pirellis and they still look like they are good for another 5000 maybe try them relz, the Pirelli angel gt profile is not as steep as the PR4 but that's actually a bonus on the MT as it does aid stability on corners and you don't get that sudden jump when leaning, its more progressive and on such a twitchy bike actually helps with the handling as its not like the MT is hard to chuck about anyway with the wide bars and light weight.
Bad Request

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nF3HRqy8yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0cJBK0HlQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLK7cC6y-A

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The way you ride makes a huge difference as does the environment and surface of roads, torque of the bike, etc etc etc , there are so many variables , I have done 2500 miles on my Pirellis and they still look like they are good for another 5000 maybe try them relz, the Pirelli angel gt profile is not as steep as the PR4 but that's actually a bonus on the MT as it does aid stability on corners and you don't get that sudden jump when leaning, its more progressive and on such a twitchy bike actually helps with the handling as its not like the MT is hard to chuck about anyway with the wide bars and light weight.
Well after I have finished with my current tyres I'm gonna give the Pirelli ones a go and see how I get on...

flydnb

Reaction score
Well after I have finished with my current tyres I'm gonna give the Pirelli ones a go and see how I get on...
when I rode mine out of the shop they felt really odd after the dunflops with there steeper profile but after a few bends and the grip and stability I was sold amazing, they turn in a tad slower than normal full on sports tyres but actually it suits the MT because its ultra flicakable anyway , when I really noticed it was when I tried a demo bike that had the dealer ecu flash and I thought there was something wrong with the handling then realised it was on the flops, I might add if any guys are having weaving issues at speed or on fast sweeping bends then try a set of these.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Howdy, old farts, who still remember me! :) Just wanted to add my 2 cents to all this.

Like many, I had the S20's on the MT when I bought it. Never had any issues with them, they gripped well in cold, wet, warm or dry. Not once had I had any scary moments with them. Then I sold the MT and got myself a GSX-R750 that came with BT016's (the same ones that some people were "lucky" enough to have on their MT's). My God, they're bad in low temperatures! I've had a few times when both my wheels locked up when I had to quickly slow down with no grip at all. Almost lost my bike twice during BikeSafe in wet as my rear end just went sideways while I was filling my pants with brown substance and to add to all that I had a massive wheelspin last week at about 3mph a few yards from my gate. Was very lucky to hold the bike upright :/

Finally, yesterday I got a puncture so looks like I might have to get a new set and I'm also thinking about PR4's (especially having seen TT say good things about them too among many other people). I started reading what people say about punctures on different forums and lots of times http://www.essentialrubbertyres.co.uk/ came up as a well-priced and professional garage. Have you tried calling them, Rip? They're located near the Blackwall Tunnel (North side). They're closed today but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what can/should be done with my situation.
Thanks mate but I'm miles away from them (Gloucestershire).

Sent from my iPhone

Locksmith

Reaction score
Well 2800 miles and the rear S20 is down past the markers :)

The front looks like it will last another rear so I think I'll get another Bridgestone this time as I've never doubted them at all with my riding.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Had a new one fitted today, forgotten how deep the grooves are on a new one, and there was me thinking maybe one more ride before I change it :eek:

Davy

Reaction score
Getting a new rear S20 fitted on Thursday, almost 4000 miles ...probably should've changed it a while ago though :rolleyes:

Locksmith

Reaction score
4000 miles??????
I wish I could have managed that many miles[emoji3]

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Based on the sentiment expressed on here I'm about to get a new PR4 for the rear.
Mine came with the D214 which is down to the markers after 2500 miles - very disappointing, especially as I ride so slowly (B mode most of the time, 60 mpg, no wheelies etc.)
To be fair they've always gripped well enough (I don't ride in the cold and wet if I can help it) but that rate of wear is atrocious - just hope the Michelin's last longer !

TIM80

Reaction score
My bridgestones S20s lasted only 4000km but what a great tyre for grip and they never let me down . I have now fitted Dunlop Q3s on recommendation of friends. I've now put a 1000km on them and I must say they have similiar grip to the S20s and hopefully more mileage.

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
Based on the sentiment expressed on here I'm about to get a new PR4 for the rear.
Mine came with the D214 which is down to the markers after 2500 miles - very disappointing, especially as I ride so slowly (B mode most of the time, 60 mpg, no wheelies etc.)
To be fair they've always gripped well enough (I don't ride in the cold and wet if I can help it) but that rate of wear is atrocious - just hope the Michelin's last longer !
Mine also came with the D214 and I don't know how you just got 2500 miles just using B mode. I ride mine in STD and A mode, in the rain, cold, hot and I got 15000km on the rear. Front was still good but changed it when I put Angel GTs on my MT-09.

FreakyFreak