Rattle

Birdy

Reaction score
OOOOO K... cant ignore it any more ... deffo rattle from right hand side .You can hear it best (?) between 3-4k . Started about 2 days ago , cant kid myself anymore , think it must be cam chain as been mentioned by a few others :( pop down dealers then . From what a few of you have said its easy fix with new tensioner ? need bike for work so hope its straight forward! 1500 miles , not to worried as under warranty, but WHY ME ....sob.... the path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devils own satanic bottom... ( E.Blackadder)

Stripy

Reaction score
Have you been stopped at the fuelstation accused for filling incorrectly yet? ;)

Fariel

Reaction score
having the same issue too, been waiting for the new cam for bout a week and yet to rec any news so far..meanwhile dealer tighten up the cam to soften the sound which lasted for around 1-2km of riding? lol

Cypher

Reaction score
It's definitely the camchain tensioner. You need to call up your dealer and tell them about the issue.

I had mine fixed last Saturday. The service guy said Yamaha have released a revised tensioner for which he placed an order and, surprise, surprise, I got a call from Lamba this morning saying that the tensioner has already arrived!

I lowsided the bike last year and scratched engine covers and handlebars on the right side and then managed to do the same on the left side, so I also placed an order for replacements while I was there. These parts haven't arrived yet so I'll wait till they do and fix both things at once - install the updated tensioner and replace my handlebars and engine covers. ...and my numberplate light which the thieves broke when trying to nick it...

flydnb

Reaction score
It's definitely the camchain tensioner. You need to call up your dealer and tell them about the issue.

I had mine fixed last Saturday. The service guy said Yamaha have released a revised tensioner for which he placed an order and, surprise, surprise, I got a call from Lamba this morning saying that the tensioner has already arrived!

I lowsided the bike last year and scratched engine covers and handlebars on the right side and then managed to do the same on the left side, so I also placed an order for replacements while I was there. These parts haven't arrived yet so I'll wait till they do and fix both things at once - install the updated tensioner and replace my handlebars and engine covers. ...and my numberplate light which the thieves broke when trying to nick it...
wow mate not much luck.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I was told it was just the tensioner between clicks. They take it in and manually move it to the next click? I can't hear anything anyway with my exhaust on !

Cypher

Reaction score
[MENTION=154]flydnb[/MENTION] - lol, true. Luckily it's all fixable so not too bad.
[MENTION=274]crotchrocket[/MENTION] - Not sure what they do but I know they had to do it twice. Once during the first service and then again last Saturday. It just doesn't seem to hold and seeing how Yamaha have a new part I guess they found a flaw with the original one.

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
I have about 600km on my bike and haven't heard any rattling so far. How many kilometres did you guys do when the rattling started?

Cypher

Reaction score
I have about 600km on my bike and haven't heard any rattling so far. How many kilometres did you guys do when the rattling started?
First I had it at 300 miles, had it fixed during my first service (after 600 miles) and it reappeared some 50-100 miles later. Only had it fixed this Saturday when I had about 1300 miles on the clock.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
How loud is the rattle? Mines now done 1050 miles, there does seem a noise but nothing I would usually worry about (until i read all the posts!
It's loud enough that i bothers me but not loud enough that i'm worried about it. As has been written on here quite a few times, the original Cam Chain Tensioner has been superceded by a new part number, it's not an official recall, but your friendly local Yamaha dealer will probably just replace it rather than have to keep adjusting it!

PaulG

Reaction score
OOOOO K... cant ignore it any more ... deffo rattle from right hand side .You can hear it best (?) between 3-4k . Started about 2 days ago , cant kid myself anymore , think it must be cam chain as been mentioned by a few others :( pop down dealers then . From what a few of you have said its easy fix with new tensioner ? need bike for work so hope its straight forward! 1500 miles , not to worried as under warranty, but WHY ME ....sob.... the path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devils own satanic bottom... ( E.Blackadder)
So the devil is bovine? Who knew?
He's always been portrayed as a goat

dazzer

Reaction score
my cam chain tensioner has gone. 900 miles. took it to the dealer and they said it should be here next week and they will fit it why i wait.
my oil light has also briefly came on twice so they are going to do oil and filter again.
they said the big bang R1 has also had loads of problems with tensioners. one has has been done 5 times and yamaha are still replacing them out of warranty.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
my cam chain tensioner has gone. 900 miles. took it to the dealer and they said it should be here next week and they will fit it why i wait.
my oil light has also briefly came on twice so they are going to do oil and filter again.
they said the big bang R1 has also had loads of problems with tensioners. one has has been done 5 times and yamaha are still replacing them out of warranty.
Ur rite...! The 09-10 R1 was prone to the cam chain tensioner going..! They also sounded like a tin of rusty bolts being shook for the first 5-10 seconds on start up. It's just the way they r I guess...!
Was speaking to my dealer today about that very same model as my tensioner went today as well. They r fitting the new version on Tuesday after work. I've done 1192 miles on mine by the way

dazzer

Reaction score
i had mine replaced today. looks identical to the original apart from S2 on the casting instead of the originals S1. the replacement has a different part number so i guess a way of checking if your engine has the newer part is to check the casting mark. fingers crossed it does the job.

pipski99

Reaction score
Got my rattle at around 400 miles in but was only between 3k - 3.5k rpm but it got worse and worse. Now got it booked in for this coming Tuesday for new tensioner - Yamaha were able to supply it within 3 days from the dealers order / claim.

Cypher

Reaction score
I went in to get my tensioner replaced this Saturday. Long story short - they installed the revised part, the noise is gone but I can now hear a different noise that I didn't have before. Can't even understand where it's coming from, almost sounds like from the left side of the engine and it's subtler than the rattle I had before but very annoying once you start hearing it.

I rode away from the dealer but turned around after a mile to have them listen to the engine. One guy came out, said - "nah, can't hear anything. You're probably just hearing noises that you didn't hear before". I know I didn't have this noise when the camchain rattle wasn't present though.

Rode away again but was convinced that there IS a noise so came back the second time. Another mechanic came out, listened to the engine, couldn't hear anything, called out the chief mechanic who listened and said - "no, engine sounds fine. No bad noises there so maybe it's the way the new tensioner sounds or something"...

I was pretty pissed off by that time as it turned out they couldn't replace all 3 engine covers that I had ordered because one of them has bearings in that they can't move from the old one to the new one and hence had to order them from Yamaha yet again. So now, as a result, I only had one cover replaced out of 3, got the camchain noise eliminated but had a new one introduced.

I decided I'd order T-Rex engine covers and the tampon sliders and return to them when those arrive. Hopefully by that time the noise will be more pronounced and they won't think I'm hearing things that aren't there. If that really is the new tensioner (he said the spring could be stiffer) then I'm not happy as I don't want one noise replaced with a different one.

I'm almost at the point when I don't enjoy riding the bike anymore because of the constant petty problems I'm having with it. Secretly hoping that something will fail in the engine so bad that they'll have to replace it...